Options

Do you shovel snow?

mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am talking about about round your house, driveway, pavement etc etc

I was watching the news and they were saying the biggest problem was not the snow but the colder temperatures turning it to ice. Surely you would just get rid of it? The snow has been an issue in the UK for quite a while now, it is not a new thing so invest in equipment to get rid of it.

People may think I am weird but I actually find it quite relaxing shovelling snow late at night when it has just fallen. It's normally all cold and fresh and quiet outside. Last night I did it at 11.

I just don't get the concept of not doing it if you can. Other countries who get snow every year manage ok.

Comments

• Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrsutie does ours. I'm not into shovelling much.
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    mrsutie does ours. I'm not into shovelling much.

I never was, the first time I did it my body ached all over afterwards but now as soon as the snow has stopped I am out there shovelling it. If it is a big storm, I will go out in the middle and do it, so it isn't so much all in one go when it has stopped.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we havent had proper deep snow here for years, the last time it snowed in 2010 I just brushed the path
  • Options
    dengie dudedengie dude Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i hate this type of snow...too deep to get the car off the drive but too shallow to make a snowman on the front garden...sorry ..i mean snowperson
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I have a snow shovel; it has a broad grey plastic scoop and is great for clearing snow.

Also buy a bag of grit salt from the Farmers' Co-operative so there's never any trouble getting the car out.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only the path to the gate, and a patch of lawn where I throw bread for the birds. This time I've left my car in the drive, and it's still covered in the original snowfall. Fortunately, I don't have to go anywhere out of town atm. The snowfall here hasn't actually been that heavy so far. Ice is the main hazard.
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I do, it stops it turning to ice when people stand on it.

I do both a path to the gate from the door in both the back and front gardens, and round where the cars are parked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it makes life easier.
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I've ever used a shovel let alone owned one
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I am a southern boy and I seldom get bad snow. I just brush it with a broom to get it away from the drains and the brick work.
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a southern boy and I seldom get bad snow. I just brush it with a broom to get it away from the drains and the brick work.
    But then what you class as bad snow would still be nothing to me, a Northern boy.
  • Options
    scousesirenscousesiren Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    I live in a little cul-de-sac with about 15houses. When I woke up at 10am (long lie in as work told us not to bother coming in) and looked out the window, the old man from across the way had cleared everyone's pathways and was putting salt down. He must be about 75, bless him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to shovel our patio so I didn't lose our poodle in the snow. The shovel is missing.... under the snow. Teaches me for not to putting it away properly :p.
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did earlier - cleared my drive, and my next door neighbours, then put some salt down to clear the hard packed bits away.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I live in a cul-de-sac that is abuot 50 meters long and I am the only one of the car-owners who needs to drive to work every day. Since the others can get by without their cars until the thaw, I'm the one who has to clear the snow out of necessity! All 50 metres and wide enough for my car!

I was caught out a couple of years ago, but I've now got a couple of good snow-shovels at the ready.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    We shovel our land, and the local farmers are paid by the kommune (council) to clear local roads- which they do every day very well and before anyone gets up.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a neighbour near me who doesn't just clear his driveway, but also clears the whole street, the road and his garden. He must truly despise snow or have had a trauma in the past which makes him want to clear it away as soon as the first snowflake drops.
  • Options
    Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    Yes my husband shovels the snow. He does the whole driveway so we are able to get out. He actually enjoys doing it. He takes great pride in not having any snow on the drive :D Depending on the amount of snow, he will either wait until it has stopped, but if it's a heavy snowfall he will go out a couple of times while it is snowing.

Where we live now, we don't have a sidewalk, but in my State, if you don't have the sidewalk (in front of your house) clear to where pedestrian can walk on it safely, you will be fined. So really there isn't much of a chance of getting out of shoveling snow
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll clear the drive at some point over the weekend. I put a fair big of dishwasher salt on it though so I'm hoping that'll make it easier and prevent it freezing to the tarmac.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    We do our pathway (and grit it), and if needed the shared drive, usually with a couple of the neighbours.

We normally have a few bags of grit in the shed ready for winter, along with a couple of shovels, and a snow shovel (and a folding/mini shovel in the car), as it makes life so much easier when you're prepared for things like snow, and don't have to rush out to try and find somewhere that still have grit in stock :p
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    I did the drive and a larger area in front in order to do a 3 point turn, as it's cul de sac and has a steep camber, all before breakfast later I noticed my nieghbour doing his so I popped out and helped him as he's 15 years older than me and not as fit, eventually I did a few other people drives and the two paths for about 6 houses, and salted the twin tracks down the road.

I don't mind,only took about 3 hours all told, and most neighbours are in late 60's or 70's and I'd hate for someone to fall over, I cleared the tyre tracks as my wife had to go to work and I'd rather she didn't bounce off parked cars.

If everyone able to did a bit, the UK would cope better.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Most towns and cities in Canada have a by-law which states that you must clear the "sidewalk" in front of one's own property by 9am when there has been an overnight accumulation. If you don't you can get fined.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Most towns and cities in Canada have a by-law which states that you must clear the "sidewalk" in front of one's own property by 9am when there has been an overnight accumulation. If you don't you can get fined.

What happens if someone is away from home or at work overnight?
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Yep, I was out this morning removing the six inches of snow from my patio and path. Spent all day keeping the birds fed as well. It's easier to move the fresh snow so I always do it as soon as I can, then get the salt and grit down. I might do the drive tomorrow so the postman can get in!
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »

There are regulations like this in parts of Germany too, which is why you often see German people sweeping/scrubbing the pavement outside their houses.

We used to have unwritten rules like that in our country, but they seem to be on the way out now.
    You even have shops now with weeds growing outside, or even old sick stains.