Options

Free to air digital satellite

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
Forum Member
Hi Everyone,
There seems to be quite a lot of interest in free to air reception these days,I have a Humax F1 receiver and use it to access Fox Sports at 43 degrees West (its free to air),
Sky very often uses this channel to show the important golf events,they also show many other sports.
I use NSS-K at 21.5 degrees West for lots of sporting links(again that Sky uses).
There is lots of very interesting channels and broadcast links available free,I have 285 stations stored on my system at the moment from 7 satellites from 43 West to 36 East all on a 80 cm dish and an Omni-sat positioner,try it you will be hooked.

Rgds Bob.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    BOB, is it possible to view FTA channels from other satellites on a normal Sky digibox, if I just purchased a larger motorised dish?

Or would I need a new digital reciever?

If Yes, could you recommend any and how much would they cost?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BOB, does Fox Sports show any international cricket?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BOB, does Fox Sports show any international cricket?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Azam,
    The sky digibox is not really suitable for FTA reception because it is very limited in the way that you can config the settings for symble rate,fec etc.
    Mr Murdoch would only like you to use it for his own programs.You will need a new receiver,get a copy of What Satellite,there are many adverts for FTA receivers in that.
    Fox Sports does advertise cricket but I have not seen any yet. RGDS Bob.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your help BOB, do you know the website for the What Satellite magazine?

By the way, is it legal to watch FTA channels on a different satellite which may be pay channels on SKY platform?

For example, various Asian channels are free to view on IntelSat and EutelSat, whereas they are pay channels on Sky.

T
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Azam,

The What Satellite website can be found at
    http:\\members.aol.com\wvwhatsat

Hope that helps
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Azam:

By the way, is it legal to watch FTA channels on a different satellite which may be pay channels on SKY platform?

For example, various Asian channels are free to view on IntelSat and EutelSat, whereas they are pay channels on Sky.

As far as I am aware it is legal,but I dont think it has been tested yet.RGDS Bob.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    azem the website is http://www.wotsat.com
    daniel.
  • Options
    IcePhoenixIcePhoenix Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Whilst on the subject of fta satellite and it's technical aspects, does anybody here know why Sky have designed their hd boxes so that is impossible to manually tune into channels if they use the DVB-S2 standard? It just seems so bizarre to do that.

Also, do any of the latest hd boxes support DisQec or whatevet it is called.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a record, somebody's bumped a 14 year old thread?

If you want FTA satellite outside of the Sky/Freesat range better to buy a Freesat or a general satellite receiver.