Star Wars books?

RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
Forum Member
✭✭
Anybody here read any of the Star Wars books?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :D

I've read the novelisations, which are okay.

The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn is brilliant - I wish they'd made them instead of the prequels! They really complete the series.

I also love the 'Jedi Apprentice' series, despite them being aimed at 12 year olds... I just love exploring Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

My other favourite is 'Shatterpoint', the Mace Windu novel - awesome book.

I've read a lot of others but they were mediocre tbh, these are the ones I re-read.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've also read the Thrawn trilogy, I'm about to start the two Hand of Thrawn books.

After that I think I'll get ino the Legacy of the Force, although I havent read any of NJO series, I hope I wont get lost.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just picked up the 'Hand of Thrawn' pair second hand, not sure if they can live up to the trilogy though ^_^

I've never bothered with the New Jedi Order - I don't want my heroes old :eek: and don't care to read about the next generation. Kinda like I don't want to read Original Characters in fanfiction I guess :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my son The Way of the Apprentice from the Jedi Quest series, as recommended by Faded Flowers ( well sort of - the actual books recommended are out of print and difficult to find as you pointed out). He absolutely loved it and is demanding the rest of the series too. So many thanks.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another fan of The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn here.
    Great, well-written stories. You can imagine the Star Wars theme music playing as you read them !

Those should have beem made into films instead of the 3 pitiful George Lucas efforts of recent years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,751
    Forum Member
    Timothy Zahn and the Thrawn trilogy were great, he wronte another two that I haven't got yet which are also meant to be good. Anyone read those two ?

He's also meant to have some of his own sci-fi stuff but never seen that in a shop to actually buy it anyone know what it's like ?

Also liked Shadows of the Empire and some of the short story collections.

The Kevin J Anderson stuff is also meant to be good but not read it myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Anybody here read any of the Star Wars books?

They are all good reads, but really start to come into their own, with the X-Wing and Thrawn trilogies.
    After that there are no disappointments.
    The most recent series of books
    New Jedi Order (21 books)
    The Dark Nest (Trilogy)
    Legacy of the Force (currently 6 books)
    are extremely enjoyable.
    I got my son interested in them when he was 14, he is now 26 and with one or two exceptions he has them all.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sherer wrote: »
    Timothy Zahn and the Thrawn trilogy were great, he wronte another two that I haven't got yet which are also meant to be good. Anyone read those two ?

I have recently started the first one 'Specter of the Past' and it's good so far. He really brings the Star Wars universe to life.
  • Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zahn's Admiral Thrawn Trilogy are real page turners and get a big thumbs up from me.

The Jedi Academy Trilogy and The Truce at Bakura were a different kettle of fish entirely. I thought the Academy Trilogy in particular to be terrible and they put me off reading any other Star Wars novels. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I've just finished reading the Legacy series and have listened to nearly all the other in audio book format. I find them very addictive
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I've also read the Thrawn trilogy, I'm about to start the two Hand of Thrawn books.

After that I think I'll get ino the Legacy of the Force, although I havent read any of NJO series, I hope I wont get lost.

recently read the two hand of thrawn books. they have zahn's magic but i think i demand a bit more from my literature these days to fully appreciate them.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zahn has written a couple of other SW novels. Outbound Flight is pretty interesting as it fills in a hole from Thrawn's past. Not read Allegiance or Survivor's Quest, but I'm sure they'll be readable. Slightly OT, his Conquerors' trilogy is excellent - easily as good as the Thrawn trilogy. Also noticed Zahn has written a Terminator: Salvation prequel novel.