Options

Rafa out, oh wait isn't he a successful European winner?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bill if you are reading this because if we are not careful Newcastle or another team will get their before us.... Which would be typical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Is he still stupidly short odds for the Newcastle job?

Can't see that with Newcastle's set up

It would be just our luck if ended up in Newcastle I think regardless of the set up he will be a good manager for them.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    highlight wrote: »
    It would be just our luck if ended up in Newcastle I think regardless of the set up he will be a good manager for them.

My feelings exactly because Everton just seem to fanny about.

Martinez I would be open to, apart from one nagging feeling. All the seasons he has been at Wigan, they have always being in relegation battles, one of those seasons, you would have at least expected him to have steadied the ship.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,971
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Is he still stupidly short odds for the Newcastle job?

Can't see that with Newcastle's set up

Can't see it as Rafa likes to adding the word 'winner' to his CV.

Jose to Chelsea>>>>.Ancelotti to Real Madrid>>>>Rafa to PSG would be more likely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    My feelings exactly because Everton just seem to fanny about.

Martinez I would be open to, apart from one nagging feeling. All the seasons he has been at Wigan, they have always being in relegation battles, one of those seasons, you would have at least expected him to have steadied the ship.

Well we are in the minority a lot of our fans would not be too happy if our club was to act and sign up Rafa... Oh well...

I am also not sure with Martinez yes he plays good football but his defence lets in too many goals.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    Can't see it as Rafa likes to adding the word 'winner' to his CV.

Jose to Chelsea>>>>.Ancelotti to Real Madrid>>>>Rafa to PSG would be more likely.

Indeed though I think a League Cup win at Newcastle would involve millions on the streets, renaming of the stadium and statues :D
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hes proven all the critics wrong as was expected by most fans of world football.
  • Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of all the managers based in the UK, is Benitez the one with the most european success?
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By beating an average Benfica side who couldn't hit a barn door with a nuke?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn that 'average Benfica side' for fluking their way to the final. :D
    Anyway, I guess he is until Mourinho returns to the UK.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By beating an average Benfica side who couldn't hit a barn door with a nuke?

So then, going by that lets do away with a second tier Euro Cup, because by it's nature it's full of mediocre teams.
    Yes, Benfica were average and so were Chelsea! just as they have been much of the time this season.
  • Options
    BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of all the managers based in the UK, is Benitez the one with the most european success?

Nope, that would either be Bob Paisley or Sir Alex, depending on how you measure the most successful. Benitez would I believe be the fourth most successful, after those two and Brian Clough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't two of those long gone? Sir Alex has two champions league trophies but no Europa/UEFA.

Sorry, maybe I should have written it better. I meant to say current UK managers.
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't two of those long gone? Sir Alex has two champions league trophies but no Europa/UEFA.

Ferguson has two Cup Winners Cup'sto his name, one with Aberdeen and one with Manchester United, so overall he has won four European trophies. (If you also want to count the two Super Cups he won after winning the two Cup Winners Cups, then he's got six).
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While Rafa has done well to salvage his reputation, you can't ignore the way he presided over the decline of Liverpool as a team. It wasn't just due to the US owners, he made some terrible transfer decisions. Probably the worst decision being getting rid of Alonso to make room for Gareth Barry (who signed for City instead). Then he went to Inter and failed there too. There are serious blots on his record to take account of in assessing him.

I think he'd be far too expensive for Bill Kenright at Everton, they don't have the kind of funds Benitez would want to spend. He'd be very well suited to the Man City job though.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He went to an Inter that closed the chequebook after letting the previous manager spend what he wanted. Saying as the supporters were disappointed to see him go it says a lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He went to an Inter that closed the chequebook after letting the previous manager spend what he wanted. Saying as the supporters were disappointed to see him go it says a lot.
    That was typical of him. He had a treble winning team at his disposal and he still wanted to spend more. "Back me or sack me". They sacked him.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how they turned round and gave his successor transfer money because he needed it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how they turned round and gave his successor transfer money because he needed it.
    I suppose it depends on what his transfer budget demand was compared to what Leonardo was allowed to spend that winter.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,456
    Forum Member
    Some of the Chelsea fans interviewed after the match yesterday were just embarrassing.
  • Options
    5th time lucky5th time lucky Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Funny the 'failed at Inter' gets trotted out, its a myth.

He won the 2 trophies that were available to him and qualified them for the knock-out stage of the CL and for whatever reason it gets trotted out he failed there, laughable.

Yes they were not doing well in the league but there was a long way to go and he would most likely of got them top 4, we all know he wasn't sacked for strictly footballing reasons.

2003 CL - Quater Final.

2004 UEFA Cup - Win.

2005 CL - Win.

2006 CL - Last 16.

2007 CL - Final.

2008 CL - Semi Final.

2009 CL - Quater Final.

2010 Europa League - Semi Final.

2013 Europa League - Win.

Seriously anyone that thinks Rafa isn't a top tier manager is a moron with an axe to grind or maybe just a moron.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've defended Rafa since he's come in, I can understand people initially being pissed off and we had to give him a bit of grief, but the way it carried on week after week really made me think some of our fans were complete dicks.

He took a limited squad, playing 2 games a week for 4 and a half months - (this really needs to filter into people's brains punishing is an understatement), with injuries to key defenders to contend with and got us into the top four along with a trophy.

The players totally respect him - and Chelsea fans should show him a modicum of that as well, because otherwise they will continue to look extremely silly.
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    Daryl Dark wrote: »
    I've defended Rafa since he's come in, I can understand people initially being pissed off and we had to give him a bit of grief, but the way it carried on week after week really made me think some of our fans were complete dicks.

He took a limited squad, playing 2 games a week for 4 and a half months - (this really needs to filter into people's brains punishing is an understatement), with injuries to key defenders to contend with and got us into the top four along with a trophy.

The players totally respect him - and Chelsea fans should show him a modicum of that as well, because otherwise they will continue to look extremely silly.

I think they will go with that option
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he won over the vast majority of fans, making them neutral rather than overly hostile.

I wish him well in his next venture, but im happy we are parting company.
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    Is it definite he is going?