"Dippy" Diplodocus Being Removed from London Natural History Museum Central Hall

AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
Forum Member
I couldn't see a thread on this, nor does the search function seem to be working properly, but I wondered what people's thoughts were on this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31025229

It's very rare for me to disagree with investment in new ideas for museums, and I know the Central Hall has a history of a turnaround when it comes to its main attraction, but this is such an iconic staple of the museum's history!

Whilst the Blue Whale is a very impressive animal, and it's a good thing to raise awareness of the giants alive today, the fact is that dinosaurs evoke something in the imagination that a mammal never will - especially for a child.

It'll be such a shame to see the Diplodocus go. As a Natural History Museum, there are certain aspects that I feel don't need to be updated or modernised. It seems such a big fuss over a load of (replicated) bones but this is an icon that I'll miss for sure.

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I'd rather see a real blue whale skeleton than a plaster cast one of a dinosaur. If Diplodocus was a real skeleton then I would say keep it where it is.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Rest in pieces Dippy
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm torn on this one.

Dippy is iconic and it seems a shame that children would no longer get that 'wow' when entering the Museum for the first time.

On the other hand the Whale skeleton they are replacing it with is pretty impressive in its own right and deserves better than being in amongst the clutter in the mammal hall.

I don't like the whole 'eco' thought behind the decision. But the end effect could be just as good as Dippy regardless of why.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you pronounce diplodocus?

Dip-la-doe-cus
    Dip-plod-ih-cus
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'm torn on this one.
    I agree with you to some extent.

In regards to the mammal hall though, I've always wondered about the long term prospects of the big Blue Whale replica they have in there. It's looking a little worse for wear these days, at least compared to the other major sublime exhibits of the museum. I feel that perhaps that room could do with a bit more of an overhaul, as it is very cluttered - and the only part of the museum I feel is awkward to get around. The Blue Whale skeleton could have easily take pride of place in there at some point in the future.

I appreciate the conservation message that comes with putting a whale in that room, but then a Natural History Museum is about more than just conservation - particularly that one. It was in those halls that the term 'dinosaur' was coined, back in the 1820's. And replica or not, the image of a dinosaur as you walk in both inspires and evokes the imagination - something I just don't feel the whale will do in the same way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I'd rather see a real blue whale skeleton than a plaster cast one of a dinosaur. If Diplodocus was a real skeleton then I would say keep it where it is.

Yes, I think that is reasonable. The NHM is not a theme park, and it seems appropriate that they give priority to real skeletons and not speculative models.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Yes, I think that is reasonable. The NHM is not a theme park, and it seems appropriate that they give priority to real skeletons and not speculative models.
    It's not a speculative model, it's a replica of an actual fossil. :)
    How do you pronounce diplodocus?

Dip-la-doe-cus
    Dip-plod-ih-cus

I tend to opt for the second one, after hearing it pronoucned as such by Kenneth Branagh on Walking with Dinosaurs many years ago.

What's also interesting is how much the meaning of the name has been abbreviated over time. I've heard it's translation as 'double beam', though more commonly 'double folded beam' and then the extended title of 'Double Folded Bearing Beam'. That's such an awesome name for a dinosaur! :D
  • ThatGuy11200ThatGuy11200 Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't being disposed of. It's likely that it will be moved outside, to be displayed in the grounds of the museum.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,197
    Forum Member
    Ho hum. Whale skeletons at the entrance are nothing new. I know there's one in Australia and i remember seeing one somewhere else. I think it was either in Canada or the U.S., i can't remember.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The blue whale is one of the greatest creatures ever to evolve on our planet so I'm fairly happy with this change, especially if it's given a dynamic presentation. The diplodocus cast will still be on display elsewhere so it's not like it's disappearing.
  • PeteAPeteA Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of our dinosaurs is missing
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diplodicus. isnt that a fantastic word to say....
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't being disposed of. It's likely that it will be moved outside, to be displayed in the grounds of the museum.
    According to a spokesman on the Today programme, the existing Dippy is expected to go on tour, and a more durable replica is likely to be made to display outside.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging by the CGI of what it will look like, not so impressed.

Also as there's the huge model as well, it's going a bit overboard on the whole whale thing.

You do wonder sometimes if the people who run museums are not that impressed with what makes their museum so popular.
    People/children enjoy the dinosaurs, you get the feeling that there's some snobbishness about that.

And the NHM might not be a theme park but they sure enjoy the money and prestige of it being so popular.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm for it,a little change round now and then.Besides I think I Dippy has only been the front man since the 70's so it's not really an untouchable piece of Museum culture.

"Meet me under the whale. In the Natural History Museum"
    one for the oldies there
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Judging by the CGI of what it will look like, not so impressed.

Also as there's the huge model as well, it's going a bit overboard on the whole whale thing.

You do wonder sometimes if the people who run museums are not that impressed with what makes their museum so popular.
    People/children enjoy the dinosaurs, you get the feeling that there's some snobbishness about that.

And the NHM might not be a theme park but they sure enjoy the money and prestige of it being so popular.

I don't think it looks too bad:

http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-940/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/1/29/1422536180586/85a41c84-a1fc-4fff-a094-f0ad518528bb-2060x1331.jpeg

Although presumably the main hall won't be otherwise totally empty of exhibits, as it appears to be in the CGI mock-ups.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it looks too bad:

http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-940/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/1/29/1422536180586/85a41c84-a1fc-4fff-a094-f0ad518528bb-2060x1331.jpeg

Although presumably the main hall won't be otherwise totally empty of exhibits, as it appears to be in the CGI mock-ups.

Want to bet?

All that lovely space and the NHM has a large amount of private commercial events after hours.

If it's hanging from the ceiling, why isn't there room for both?
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    I couldn't see a thread on this, nor does the search function seem to be working properly, but I wondered what people's thoughts were on this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31025229

It's very rare for me to disagree with investment in new ideas for museums, and I know the Central Hall has a history of a turnaround when it comes to its main attraction, but this is such an iconic staple of the museum's history!

Whilst the Blue Whale is a very impressive animal, and it's a good thing to raise awareness of the giants alive today, the fact is that dinosaurs evoke something in the imagination that a mammal never will - especially for a child.

It'll be such a shame to see the Diplodocus go. As a Natural History Museum, there are certain aspects that I feel don't need to be updated or modernised. It seems such a big fuss over a load of (replicated) bones but this is an icon that I'll miss for sure.

i love Dippy, will be sad to to see him go :(, does say when he will be taken down
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Ooooh ... lots of people turning up to take a final look at Dippy in the entrance hall before he's moved out! How could that possibly benefit the NHM? ;-)
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm of the age when I seem to recall him (her?) being described as a Brontosaurus I'm sure. I do think it is a shame that it is being moved but as long as he still gets a prime position to "wow" visitors then I guess that will still be ok.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooooh ... lots of people turning up to take a final look at Dippy in the entrance hall before he's moved out! How could that possibly benefit the NHM? ;-)

Oh you cynic you...:p
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Oh you cynic you...:p

It didn't actually mean to be cynical! :blush:

I'm sure the NHM has considered things very carefully, and I imagine a lot of people will turn up for a final look at Dippy before he's moved (or goes on tour). The announcement has already generated a fair bit of publicity ... and I'm all in favour of places such as the NHM getting as much publicity as they can, so even if it was a marketing-driven decision, I don't have a problem with that. :)
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Real skeleton > fake skeleton as far as I'm concerned. Stick-in-the-mud reactionaries be damned.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    Dippy should stay! (of course)

In terms of engaging children in natural history, I have to say I think that a dino skeleton (albeit a replica one) outweighs a whale skeleton (and I used to work in a museum).
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I've just received an email from change.org linking to a petition to "Save Dippy". :confused:
    Is this really a burning political issue? The cast is being taken on tour and then placed in a different area of the museum. It's not being destroyed!