Game of Thrones (Season Three) (UK Pace)

Comments

• circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not sure this is a spoiler but looking at the interactive map i see that
    after Astupur if Danyares and her army are to move west they will have to pass valerya next..could danny be going "home" (well not her home as such)in next few episodes?

i hope so.
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »
    Theon's torturer is the guy who played Simon (the nutter) in Misfits...

The best actor on Misfits I thought. I'm looking forward to see how he plays his GOT character!
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That bloke in the crate....... Had he just been delivered, or had the eunuch been torturing him for a long time already?

Good to see Diana Rigg in GoT. She brings a touch of sanity (and high quality acting) to the proceedings.

I like the noise the dragons make just before they unleash their flames.
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    I don't know about sanity but there is high quality acting (in my opinion) throughout Game Of Thrones.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That bloke in the crate....... Had he just been delivered, or had the eunuch been torturing him for a long time already?

He'd probably just been delivered since Varys' speech was all about getting revenge if you were prepared to wait for it.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    He'd probably just been delivered since Varys' speech was all about getting revenge if you were prepared to wait for it.

I thought that was a nice touch. I wondered at first why he was bringing the subject up while prising open a crate..then the reveal. Brilliant.

Daenerys is surely unstoppable now with a huge (ex-)slave army and three fire-breathing dragons. Absolutely loved the way she turned on the slave master, who clearly underestimated her and thought her a fool (dismissing her with rude names, all the while with no idea she knew what he was saying!).

And God knows why I'm feeling sorry for Jaime now. That's not right :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    sheff71 wrote: »
    Theon's torturer is the guy who played Simon (the nutter) in Misfits...

The actress playing Missandei was on Misfits as well. She played that girl who liked bum-sex at the start of Series 3. :eek: :rolleyes: :D Gilly and Gendry were on Skins too.
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I thought that was a nice touch. I wondered at first why he was bringing the subject up while prising open a crate..then the reveal. Brilliant.

Daenerys is surely unstoppable now with a huge (ex-)slave army and three fire-breathing dragons. Absolutely loved the way she turned on the slave master, who clearly underestimated her and thought her a fool (dismissing her with rude names, all the while with no idea she knew what he was saying!).

8,000 elite soldiers. She's far more powerful than she was, but not unstoppable. Khal Drago had around 30,000 in his horde, for example. But that really was an excellent scene - best of the entire series. :)
  • SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This.

I can't quite get to grips with the feeling of sympathy I have for a man that was quite happy to drop a child out of a window. The fact that he was happily bonking his sister doesn't worry me, child murderer does.

I am still getting goosebumps from that last 5 minutes, that was Lord of the Rings brilliant, and I've watched it several times now, I love the dragons.

I'm getting to like Lord Varys a lot too, and don't in the slightest blame him for whatever he is going to do to that magician.

The incredible thing about this series is that there are no apparent heroes, everyone 'good' has done something that perhaps they shouldn't have, but they're doing it to survive, and in the context of the times they are living in, those who don't have the strength to do what they need to, will die.

It has been a bit of a shock actually, after being a history geek for most of my life, to see what it must have been like in the middle ages, played out in front of me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've noticed that a lot of people on different forums seem to now think that dany's unstoppable because she has an army and dragons. the scene was impressive to look at.....but lets not get carried away. her army is only 8000 strong, and her dragons are still little more than babies. when you look at the likes of the armies in westeros, a smallish-medium one is still double that figure, and don't forget that now the lannisters and the tyrells have combined their two individually large and very strong armies. i know when robb started the war he had ~20,000, and i think (though i could be wrong) that tywin has somewhere in the vicinity of 30,000. i'm not sure the size of the tyrell army, but i know that it's the second strongest after the lannisters. and also, they remain unscathed as of yet, whereas both stark and lannister have taken huge hits.
    plus, danny still needs to actually physically get there...and a game plan for what to do once she does. one of the main things i personally think she currently needs is allies.
  • SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daenerys is great at planning, and making the most of anything helpful that comes her way, I'm sure, like Lord Varys, she will bide her time and increase her strength. I don't suppose for one minute that she would think of pitting her small army, even the unsullied, alone against the combined armies of Westeros.

She started off with nothing, a pretty child sold off to a barbarian tribal chief in the hopes of landing an army for her brother.

Look at her now.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a superb episode. I had a feeling that Daenerys knew the language. I liked the Lord Varys scene - I wish he was featured much more! Unsurprisingly, it isn't looking good for Theon Greyjoy. Looks as if he will spend season three getting tortured by Roose Bolton's son.

I most likely won't be able to see the next episode until Friday evening - currently on holiday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Someone will no doubt to a parody at some point where Varys gives his speech while opening the crate only to find he's been sent the wrong Sorcerer. :D
    Forum Member
    scamrasc wrote: »
    i've noticed that a lot of people on different forums seem to now think that dany's unstoppable because she has an army and dragons. the scene was impressive to look at.....but lets not get carried away. her army is only 8000 strong, and her dragons are still little more than babies. when you look at the likes of the armies in westeros, a smallish-medium one is still double that figure, and don't forget that now the lannisters and the tyrells have combined their two individually large and very strong armies. i know when robb started the war he had ~20,000, and i think (though i could be wrong) that tywin has somewhere in the vicinity of 30,000. i'm not sure the size of the tyrell army, but i know that it's the second strongest after the lannisters. and also, they remain unscathed as of yet, whereas both stark and lannister have taken huge hits.

plus, danny still needs to actually physically get there...and a game plan for what to do once she does. one of the main things i personally think she currently needs is allies.

Renly's host at Storm's End was 100,000 soldiers - that was the combination of soldiers from the Reach and the Stormlands. Around two thirds of those were from the Reach - it is certainly the most fertile region in the Seven Kingdoms, and probably the most populous.

Stannis originally had 5,000 but took the allegiance of the armies of the Stormlands after Melisandre births the shadow Stannis - these are largely decimated in the Battle of Blackwater.

Robb took 18,000 troops south with him. The North is both vast and sparsely populated, so it would have taken them time to amass a larger army, and he wasn't willing to wait for that.

The Lannisters had two armies of around 30,000 each. Jaime's army was defeated by Robb in the Battle of Whispering Wood after tricking Tywin at the Green Fork, and allowed the North to unify with the Riverlands - it's unclear how many the Riverlands were able to muster since they had been previously defeated by Jaime, but the combined numbers were large enough for Tywin to retreat to Harrenhal.

The Iron Islands don't have a large enough army to win the Seven Kingdoms, but their goal is independence. With 200 warships, they are the largest naval force, and have been shown to be capable of hurting others.

Dorne and the Vale have avoided getting involved in the conflict.

The TV show doesn't seem to be emphasising the numbers any more than the books do though. We've seen that troop numbers can often matter less than things like wildfire, the vagina smoke monster and the dragons.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Theon/cross reveal scene was excellent. Standing in a dark room with your rescuer thinking you had escaped the torture and were safe. Then blam the lights come on and theres the cross.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Renly's host at Storm's End was 100,000 soldiers - that was the combination of soldiers from the Reach and the Stormlands. Around two thirds of those were from the Reach - it is certainly the most fertile region in the Seven Kingdoms, and probably the most populous.

Stannis originally had 5,000 but took the allegiance of the armies of the Stormlands after Melisandre births the shadow Stannis - these are largely decimated in the Battle of Blackwater.

Robb took 18,000 troops south with him. The North is both vast and sparsely populated, so it would have taken them time to amass a larger army, and he wasn't willing to wait for that.

The Lannisters had two armies of around 30,000 each. Jaime's army was defeated by Robb in the Battle of Whispering Wood after tricking Tywin at the Green Fork, and allowed the North to unify with the Riverlands - it's unclear how many the Riverlands were able to muster since they had been previously defeated by Jaime, but the combined numbers were large enough for Tywin to retreat to Harrenhal.

The Iron Islands don't have a large enough army to win the Seven Kingdoms, but their goal is independence. With 200 warships, they are the largest naval force, and have been shown to be capable of hurting others.

Dorne and the Vale have avoided getting involved in the conflict.

The TV show doesn't seem to be emphasising the numbers any more than the books do though. We've seen that troop numbers can often matter less than things like wildfire, the vagina smoke monster and the dragons.

thanks for clatifying the numbers. i had a feeling they were along those lines, but wasn't 100% in what the lannister's numbers were when the war started (the 60,000) and how much of the 100,000 of renly's was attributeable to the tyrells. i believe the reach also has a very strong naval force needed for defending the arbor, but i'm not sure how many's in that?

but the bib - i agree, except for one crucial word. adult dragons. well in hand, controlled, adult dragons, such as what aegon and his sisters had - and even aegon came close to losing his dragon (the biggest and firecest of them all) had his sister not interviened and come to his aid. dany's dragons are still nothing more than babies. it would be madness to put them into battle yet - even if she could control them, they could still be killed relatively easily compared to how close balerion was nearly killed.

the dragons are her biggest asset and the things which are carrying her on. if she is to utilise them, then she must give them the time to grow, and also train them for controlled combat under her command. if she's not going to utilise them in battle, then she's going to need a hell of a lot more soldiers, and some pretty strong allies and support to count upon.
  • violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who reckons Dany will get together with Rob Snow?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With regards to the size of Armies.

Even though Dany has a lot less soldiers than the major Lords/Kings of Westeros her Troops are fully trained (since they were young boys) while the majority of the troops in Westeros were probably working on a farm up till a year or so ago.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    scamrasc wrote: »
    the dragons are her biggest asset and the things which are carrying her on. if she is to utilise them, then she must give them the time to grow, and also train them for controlled combat under her command. if she's not going to utilise them in battle, then she's going to need a hell of a lot more soldiers, and some pretty strong allies and support to count upon.
    She can have my support. :o
    Who reckons Dany will get together with Rob Snow?
    Jon Snow maybe, but not Rob Snow. I know only of a Rob Stark. :rolleyes: You know nothing! ;)
    I believe he (Rob), and his mother are soon to be killed.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This.

I can't quite get to grips with the feeling of sympathy I have for a man that was quite happy to drop a child out of a window. The fact that he was happily bonking his sister doesn't worry me, child murderer does.

One of the things about GoT (TV and book versions) is that there aren't that many characters who are straight good or evil. Except for Joffrey.
  • deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a slight tangent...

is it Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) that's in the Red Cross crisis advert?

I can't decide if it is or not??

(sorry if this has been mentioned in an earlier post)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is not her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    She can have my support. :o

Jon Snow maybe, but not Rob Snow. I know only of a Rob Stark. :rolleyes: You know nothing! ;)
    I believe he (Rob), and his mother are soon to be killed.
    Sorry yes meant Jon Snow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    With regards to the size of Armies.

Even though Dany has a lot less soldiers than the major Lords/Kings of Westeros her Troops are fully trained (since they were young boys) while the majority of the troops in Westeros were probably working on a farm up till a year or so ago.

yes, but even so, 8,000 vs 100,000 ain't exactly wonderful odds. and that's not even the full strength of westeros if they were to unite against her.

for dany to approach westeros and hope to rule, she needs allies.
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Posted in the wrong thread!:eek: Moved to US pace!