Game of Thrones (Season Three) (UK Pace)

Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Looking Good, some great shots of large armies there.

Gone are the days of 50 odd riders playing the part of 40,000 Dothraki :D

A Recap of Seasons 1 and 2 was also released recently.
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greyjoy12 wrote: »
    I wasnt expecting to like Stannis when he first appeared but he quickly became one of my favourite characters on the show. In a world full of backstabbers and cowards (see Joff) its refreshing to see someone who is so brave. Sure he may have his faults but who cant love a guy who has just seen half of his forces blown to bits in Blackwater Bay yet still leads his remaining men into battle himself and is the first man over the wall without even wearing a helmet I might add!

So yeah I'm Team Stannis all the way too. Cant wait to see what he has lined up this season!

But isn't Stannis a typical product of this world, being a "cowardly backstabber" himself? There was nothing brave about using magic to stab Renly in the back after all. Not that I disapprove of his actions, but I don't see him as being morally superior than he needs to be and no better than many of the other killers vying for power.
  • PerpetualAscentPerpetualAscent Posts: 484
    Forum Member

Still no Arya footage. I hope she gets a lot of screen time, I love her storyline in the 3rd book. There's supposed to be another trailer out on Monday though,

Is the guy who draws his sword at 0:13 the character who's supposed to be replacing Vargo Hoat?
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mindset wrote: »
    But isn't Stannis a typical product of this world, being a "cowardly backstabber" himself? There was nothing brave about using magic to stab Renly in the back after all. Not that I disapprove of his actions, but I don't see him as being morally superior than he needs to be and no better than many of the other killers vying for power.

I think that was more because he didn't have enough men to defeat Renly in battle, but felt as the rightful King he had to get Renly's bannermen onside in order to take on Kings Landing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another new trailer

The Beast
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Another new trailer

The Beast

I'm wondering how feasible it would be for me to go to sleep and not wake up until April 1st...

I have a feeling that the weeks between episodes are going to seem like years!
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    damn the new trailer looks good!
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ygritte looks very hot indeed in the brief shot in that trailer. Looking forward to it starting again.
  • ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, what's this? Are they not having Vargo Hoat in it?

Are they messing with the Brienne and Jaime plotline?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ally08 wrote: »
    Wait, what's this? Are they not having Vargo Hoat in it?

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Locke
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that link.

Seems a bit of a strange thing to do, I know they have amalgamated and changed a few characters but I can't really see the reason for that change.

Oh well I'm sure they have their reasons and it will become clear as the programme continues. :confused:
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brigon wrote: »
    I think that was more because he didn't have enough men to defeat Renly in battle, but felt as the rightful King he had to get Renly's bannermen onside in order to take on Kings Landing.

Sure that was Stannis' motive, but let's not pretend there was any virtue in necessity. Let's not pretend there was any honour or bravery involved, whatever the political justification. Theon could similarly justify his burning of the farmers children and displaying them falsely as the Stark boys, because it was his political imperative to demonstrate his authority over Winterfell. But again, let's not pretend there was any honour or bravery involved.

Love or hate this or that character as you choose, but ultimately I think The Hound has it right: "they are all killers"......
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they messing with the Brienne and Jaime plotline?

No, Weiss and Benioff have said they regard the whole canon of books as their tableau, and so they're free to move events around slightly.
    Forum Member
    Sure that was Stannis' motive, but let's not pretend there was any virtue in necessity. Let's not pretend there was any honour or bravery involved, whatever the political justification. Theon could similarly justify his burning of the farmers children and displaying them falsely as the Stark boys, because it was his political imperative to demonstrate his authority over Winterfell. But again, let's not pretend there was any honour or bravery involved.

Love or hate this or that character as you choose, but ultimately I think The Hound has it right: "they are all killers"......

Let's not pretend that repeating something over and over gives any credence to anything. IMO Stannis's main motives have always been been duty and justice, but that's just my opinion. I'm not arrogant enough to suggest that my opinions are fact.

Anyway, I wonder if Vargo has just been renamed like Asha/Osha or if he's a whole other character like Jeyne Westerling/Whatsherface? Either way I hope they don't tone down his brutality for the screen, and I really hope they don't tone down
    Ramsay
    although I can really see it happening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's not pretend that repeating something over and over gives any credence to anything. IMO Stannis's main motives have always been been duty and justice, but that's just my opinion. I'm not arrogant enough to suggest that my opinions are fact.

Anyway, I wonder if Vargo has just been renamed like Asha/Osha or if he's a whole other character like Jeyne Westerling/Whatsherface? Either way I hope they don't tone down his brutality for the screen, and I really hope they don't tone down
    Ramsay
    although I can really see it happening.

I was wondering if the guy on the cross thing they keep showing is anything to do
    with Ramsay and his torturing ways.

I can't see why they would tone things down, that doesn't seem to be how they roll, they will probably step it up a little if anything. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    I know!!!!

And I love the flaming sword part in the trailer.

I wonder who Varys was talking to about revenge?

I am slightly underwhelmed though, lots of shots of people faces, or people turning around. Not a lot of new characters, no Stannis, Melisandre (apart from her ominous voice over) or Tyrells. As always the Dany stuff looks the most interesting in the trailers, but then tends to disappoint in the actual series.

General consensus is that Varys is talking to the Queen of Thorns - Margery Tyrells Grandmother, (as she has been introduced as one of the new characters played by Diana Rigg) I don't think that's a spoiler?
    Also, I'm pretty sure Dany is gonna have one heck of a season - again that's just my opinion and not a spoiler, I haven't seen S3 yet!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who and Game of Thrones, returning across the same weekend.

Bliss.

BEST. WEEKEND. EVER. :D
  • Brady12Brady12 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Varys is talking to Tyrion, it's shown at the end of one of the trailers.
    Forum Member
    ally08 wrote: »
    I was wondering if the guy on the cross thing they keep showing is anything to do
    with Ramsay and his torturing ways.

I can't see why they would tone things down, that doesn't seem to be how they roll, they will probably step it up a little if anything. ;)

Yeah, the latest trailer suggests to me that they're at least going to show some of it.

Does anyone know who the Old Bear says "I forbid you to die" to?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brady12 wrote: »
    I thought Varys is talking to Tyrion, it's shown at the end of one of the trailers.
    The line about revenge is indeed said to Tyrion (as seen in the trailer) but the other line he has from that trailer (talking to an "Old Friend") is probably to someone else as Tyrion isn't exactly an old friend.
    Does anyone know who the Old Bear says "I forbid you to die" to?

Yes :)
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Yes :)

Who?

<filler>
  • minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Really looking forward to the new series :D

Not long now- not sure if I'll record the whole thing and watch in one go (as I did with the first series) or watch as it is broadcast (dilemma!)
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minkski wrote: »
    Really looking forward to the new series :D

Not long now- not sure if I'll record the whole thing and watch in one go (as I did with the first series) or watch as it is broadcast (dilemma!)

you'll miss the ongoing discussion if you do that :)
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You make Stannis seem such a boring, one dimensional, goody two shoes. I much prefer the ruthless (and murderous) badass as seen on tv, but that's just my opinion.

I agree with PerpetualAscent, Stannis is about Duty and Justice. But that doesn't make him any less ruthless.
    The man who smuggled in food to Stannis when he was beseiged during Robert's rebellion was made a knight for his service but Stannis also chopped off his fingers for being a smuggler. "The good does not wash out the bad" he says.He saw Renly as a traitor and the punishment for that is death, so death is what Renly got.