Game of Thrones (Season Three) (UK Pace)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    margaux wrote: »
    Did he have dragon glass with him? Or is there something special about him that we don't know about yet?

Most likely that he was obviously no threat to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    r_harrow wrote: »
    Most likely that he was obviously no threat to them.

I thought they wouldn't differentiate but time will tell. Well a long time will tell as we await the rest of the books.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    The White Walkers noticed him but decided to ignore him, as we saw last season. Guess he didn't seem much of a threat.

Yeah I thought it was made clear in the final episode of last season that they'd seen him and dismissed him as they were more interested in the large camp on top of the Fist of the First Men.

I can see why they didn't expend the budget on a big snowy battle but I hope they do a bit more with the White Walkers on the retreat to the Wall.
  • elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with episode one and loved it. Did have the feel of setting up all the 'chess pieces' again to re-establish where all the characters were, but that was actually fine by me as I find myself forgetting or mixing up what happened on TV as opposed to what i know from the books.

I thought the scene with Tywin and Tyrion was just brilliant and also heartbreaking for Tyrion. Charles Dance is so wonderful as Tywin - playing both the admirable and abominable so skilfully. ( I was watching him in Going Postal over Easter as Lord Vetinari and again admiring his masterful work in another Machiavellian role :D. )

Downside is there is a week to kick your heels between episodes though ! :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elven62 wrote: »
    I thought the scene with Tywin and Tyrion was just brilliant and also heartbreaking for Tyrion. Charles Dance is so wonderful as Tywin - playing both the admirable and abominable so skilfully. ( I was watching him in Going Postal over Easter as Lord Vetinari and again admiring his masterful work in another Machiavellian role :D. )

It was heartbreaking watching the hope die in Tyrion's eyes. :( Love Mr Pratchett's work - they've had Charles Dance and Jeremy Irons play Vetinari. And both currently playing arch paternal manipulators in this and The Borgias. :D
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Yeah I thought it was made clear in the final episode of last season that they'd seen him and dismissed him as they were more interested in the large camp on top of the Fist of the First Men.
    The White Walkers noticed him but decided to ignore him, as we saw last season. Guess he didn't seem much of a threat.

I remember Sam cowering behind a rock while Mr White Walker made a noise. At the time, I didn't think they were going to ignore him, I just assumed one of the white walkers would have munched on him. I don't think it made it all that clear either way - hence a lot of responses at the end of the last season saying "Looks like Sam is doomed!"

Makes no difference anyways - we know for sure that he is alive! :)
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Sam cowering behind a rock while Mr White Walker made a noise. At the time, I didn't think they were going to ignore him, I just assumed one of the white walkers would have munched on him. I don't think it made it all that clear either way - hence a lot of responses at the end of the last season saying "Looks like Sam is doomed!"

Makes no difference anyways - we know for sure that he is alive! :)

The White Walker looked at Sam, looked away and kept on walking towards the Fist of the First Men. Imho that was a clear indication that it was ignoring Sam but I've obviously also read the books so knew he wasn't about to get munched :)
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    The White Walker looked at Sam, looked away and kept on walking towards the Fist of the First Men. Imho that was a clear indication that it was ignoring Sam but I've obviously also read the books so knew he wasn't about to get munched :)

Well I haven't read the books but that was definitely the impression I got too.
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt sorry for Ser Davos - he clearly has the best interests of Stannis at heart yet has ended up in a cell after having a barny with Melisandre. "She is a mother of demons".

It seems there is to be a succession of "honourable" men in this series, who believe they can confront with impunity and bluster at women who would be very likely to cut their throats, just as soon as look at them.

Maybe your sympathy for such characters will compensate for my amusement at them. ;)
  • Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.happyplace.com/22775/game-of-thrones-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-1

If episode 1 (of Season 3) took place on Facebook :)

(I love the Bronn/Tyrion exchange :)
  • elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    http://www.happyplace.com/22775/game-of-thrones-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-1

:D:D brilliant!
    Forum Member
    mindset wrote: »
    It seems there is to be a succession of "honourable" men in this series, who believe they can confront with impunity and bluster at women who would be very likely to cut their throats, just as soon as look at them.

Maybe your sympathy for such characters will compensate for my amusement at them. ;)

Not sure it was really about honour, in this case. More a question of horror that his friend was being corrupted by some kind of Evil sorceress.

Still pretty stupid of him, though. At least when Ned did his confronting he believed he had the military backing to carry it off. Davos had no such excuse :rolleyes:
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quick question about s3e1

what happened at harrenhal? did clegane kill northern prisoners and then leave before robb got there?

or did robb send a few men out before him and they battled with celegane and lannisters and made them flee?

i saw that the father of guard jamie lannister killed last season was dead so i guess rob stark must have sent an envoy to harrenhall?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a non book reader I thought the opening was a bit confusing. At the end of the last season Sam had been out collecting frozen dung when the White Walkers arrived. This episode started with the sounds of battle and then Sam running through the snow presumedly to get back to the camp where he finds the aftermath of the battle. Mormont then yells at him for not doing his one job and sending the ravens. What ravens He didn't have any when he was dung collecting so how could he have sent them? It has been bugging me ever since.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »

what happened at harrenhal? did clegane kill northern prisoners and then leave before robb got there?

or did robb send a few men out before him and they battled with celegane and lannisters and made them flee?

i saw that the father of guard jamie lannister killed last season was dead so i guess rob stark must have sent an envoy to harrenhall?

That wasn't the father of the guard Jamie killed. The father of the guard arrived at Harrenhal with Robb.

But, I'm curious like you about the situation there. :)

Also, I haven't read book 2 or 3 so I'm curious can some tell me how much time is supposed to have passed since the battle of Blackwater? How long was Davos supposed to have been stranded on the small island? I assumed it is only a few days, but then when we see Khalesse's dragons their growth since the season 2 finale suggests months have passed. Am I right to assume, that the scenes of Davos on the island and the scenes with the dragons are set a long time a part? Or do dragon's grow at a very fast rate? :D But that doesn't fit with Varis's comment about it taking years for them to be fully grown
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because Sam is not much use at fighting he is the assistant to Maester Eamon (sp?). The Maester is too old to go north of the wall on a ranging so Sam went with ravens for sending back messages.
    The event here are a bit different to the book but here Sam hid in the hollow covered by the rock with the Runes written by the First Men. So maybe the runes protected him, maybe the dragon glass protected him, or maybe the White Walkers just ignored him as they were focused on attacking the fort on the hill.
    I guess they did it this way to have a cool cliff hanger and also not to have to show the battle on the hill (saves time and budget).
    Forum Member
    accidie wrote: »
    As a non book reader I thought the opening was a bit confusing. At the end of the last season Sam had been out collecting frozen dung when the White Walkers arrived. This episode started with the sounds of battle and then Sam running through the snow presumedly to get back to the camp where he finds the aftermath of the battle. Mormont then yells at him for not doing his one job and sending the ravens. What ravens He didn't have any when he was dung collecting so how could he have sent them? It has been bugging me ever since.

deleted.
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it was the former. Some of his men were expecting a fight when Rob arrived but there wasn't any fight because the enemy had cleared out already.
    Forum Member
    Listentome wrote: »
    Also, I haven't read book 2 or 3 so I'm curious can some tell me how much time is supposed to have passed since the battle of Blackwater? How long was Davos supposed to have been stranded on the small island? I assumed it is only a few days, but then when we see Khalesse's dragons their growth since the season 2 finale suggests months have passed. Am I right to assume, that the scenes of Davos on the island and the scenes with the dragons are set a long time a part? Or do dragon's grow at a very fast rate? :D But that doesn't fit with Varis's comment about it taking years for them to be fully grown

I'm not sure if they are being strictly chronological between the different story lines but it's possible. The Dragons are magical so they could be growing magically fast. That doesn't necessarily counteract Varis' comment as they could just have a fast spurt initially and then slow down in the later stages.

D&D dragons never stop growing. The older they get the bigger they get :D
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure it was the former. Some of his men were expecting a fight when Rob arrived but there wasn't any fight because the enemy had cleared out already.

That makes sense. I was unclear to how many prisoners were still at Harrenhal as we didn't see much of them in season 2 after Tywin's arrival.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    how much time is supposed to have passed since the battle of Blackwater? How long was Davos supposed to have been stranded on the small island? I assumed it is only a few days, but then when we see Khalesse's dragons their growth since the season 2 finale suggests months have passed. Am I right to assume, that the scenes of Davos on the island and the scenes with the dragons are set a long time a part? Or do dragon's grow at a very fast rate? :D But that doesn't fit with Varis's comment about it taking years for them to be fully grown

The producers are playing around with time a little, they have said they're not sticking exactly to the timeframe of the books. Some events from book 2 were in season 1. There may be events from books 4 or 5 in season 3.
    The stuff north of the wall was hours after the s2 finale.
    The events in King's Landing is probably days.after the battle of blackwater.
    The stuff over in Slaver's Bay is probably weeks later, they travel a fair distance by sail ship. The Dragons are still not fully grown but they are a bit bigger.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yeh thats what i thought at first,i was just confuse dbecause i felt the guy who had been stabbed to the wall was that guards father

if i was wrong about that then it all makes sense

i always rewatch the previous episode directly before the new one on mondays so that should clear it up once and for all.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting, I absolutely love that! :D Apart from Robb referring to Catelyn as "mom", but I'll let that slide. :p
    Forum Member
    srhDS wrote: »
    The producers are playing around with time a little, they have said they're not sticking exactly to the timeframe of the books. Some events from book 2 were in season 1. There may be events from books 4 or 5 in season 3.
    The stuff north of the wall was hours after the s2 finale.
    The events in King's Landing is probably days.after the battle of blackwater.
    The stuff over in Slaver's Bay is probably weeks later, they travel a fair distance by sail ship. The Dragons are still not fully grown but they are a bit bigger.

Yes, they would be very disappointing if that is how big they get. :D
    Forum Member

That last comment by Barristan Selmy is my favourite :D