After a new LED TV

Evening guys,

A mate of mine is after a new telly. He has a budget of £800 (I want that budget!!) and wants to get one this week.

I'm after any advice on which sets are good to go for right now, if anybody has bought a new one recently. Preferably and LED, but the other types aren't completely out of the question. Ideally, 42-inch upwards (for the living room).

A good picture quality is obviously essential. It'll be mostly HD viewing on it - Sky+HD, Blu-ray, and the occasional bit of gaming.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ta. :)

Comments

• flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we hve the toshiba 42 inch :LED SMART with sat tuner for £450 but they do a largrer 46 inchfor £550
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LED doesn't mean anything, the LED's just used as the back-light for the LCD. Its no better than any other back-light, just uses less power.
  • StilianStilian Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    The Sony Bravia KDL-40EX720 would be a very good choice for your friend. It is a 40-inch 3D Full HD LED TV with all the features of a modern TV - smart TV apps, USB playback and many others. I think its price is around £700... he will have some change for a beer or two :)
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    Cheers for the tips guys. I've made a note of them. We're going for a nose about the shops later so I'll look out for them. :)
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say, don't bother getting a smart TV, they are a waste of time and money and only have limited functions.

You'd be much better getting an external cheap smart TV set top box because they have full operating systems/ browsers keyboards etc and you can access all the channels catch up services.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stilian wrote: »
    The Sony Bravia KDL-40EX720 would be a very good choice for your friend. It is a 40-inch 3D Full HD LED TV with all the features of a modern TV - smart TV apps, USB playback and many others. I think its price is around £700... he will have some change for a beer or two :)
    It's a great TV in 2D, but the 3D isn't very good. It's last years model, and was heavily discounted earlier this year - price seems to have gone up a bit since!
    I would say, don't bother getting a smart TV, they are a waste of time and money and only have limited functions.

You'd be much better getting an external cheap smart TV set top box because they have full operating systems/ browsers keyboards etc and you can access all the channels catch up services.
    I agree that this is the best way to get smart TV functions (or anything), but try finding a decent TV without Smart TV functions! Anyway, you don't have to use them, and the cheaper TVs without them usually have poorer picture quality too.

Cheers,
    David.