Options

Dis anybody actually get carol singers this year?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
Forum Member
...And I DON'T mean the Sally Army bands in city centres either. I didn't get any.

Comments

• Options
    DavidCHDavidCH Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    ...And I DON'T mean the Sally Army bands in city centres either. I didn't get any.

No we didn't and we live in an area that (if any would) we should. But it's the breakdown of families, kids want to wee too much and not enjoy the old stylee family values.
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kids must be getting richer these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    No but I did get one called Dave:)
  • Options
    thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, my areas full of chavs and criminals.
  • Options
    Bea*Bea* Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    We haven't had carol singers for quite a few years now.
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one door to door carol singing this year. Last year only had one call, a couple of lads who just mumbled "we wish you a merry Christmas" and expect some money for it, of course they were not going to get money from an ex carol singer who used to rake it in!

I remember going out carol singing with my mates, time of year we looked forward to. We used to sing about half a dozen different carols all way through, just rotated them for each door, so people that could hear us before we got to them could hear different carol. We also sang until given something or had door shut on us , whcih was seldom. often rewarded with mince pies and other treats, as well as tons of money.

Seriously we used to rake it in, a little time and effort and used to get piles of money, used to earn in less than hour several months worth of pocket money, but kids do not want to put time in, that and fear of parents that they will get abducted by a paedophile.
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope , none here.
    I used to do it as a kid and in the late 70's used to be 3 of us and we used to make about £7 each a night which was about 7 weeks pocket money in those days plus we would normally be fed mince pies by old dears who never had much money.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I'm 18 and never seen or heard of a single Carol Singer anywhere.
    Did it ever actually happen?
  • Options
    Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to go out in the early 90's carol singing. I went with my brothers and sisters, used to decorate a couple of buckets with tinsel, and have a candle in a jam jar. My dad would drive us to the more affluent estates and park up to listen to the radio, and we'd do the whole estate, before moving to the next. We'd have a massive haul of cash, sweets and mince pies by the end of the week. Nobody ever gave us any abuse, verbal or sexual!! The paedo behind every door mentality hadn't taken off by this point.

Trick or treating, carol singing, selling fire wood, penny for the guy, selling 'scrumped' apples, these were all ways that we lined our pockets as kids!! Nowadays they don't seem arsed about a bit of enterprise. Although there were two lads with shovels and a barrow full of grit offering to clear drives for cash this last month, there's the spirit!!!
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should've gone carol singing, why the hell didn't I go carol singing? :(

Do you think I could go out singing songs for Valentine's day instead?
  • Options
    c0boc0bo Posts: 6,468
    Forum Member
    No I didn't get any carol singers this year.
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,162
    Forum Member
    None here this year, or indeed any in the last, ooh, 6 or 7 years. Not that I'm complaining, you understand. All we ever got from them was one verse of 'We Wish You a Merry Christmas' (badly) and then holding their hands out a la Dom Joly, while you stand there feeling like a cock-pot.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shall come sing We Wish You a Merry Christmas at you.
  • Options
    Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None here. I think the media creation of "stranger danger" paranoia has all but killed off things like carol singing and trick or treating in some areas. That, and kids are probably too lazy, too whimpy to go out in the cold, and get so much money from their own parents they don't feel the need.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we got chavs carol singing in our area, probably looking for more money to buy crack with or something:mad::mad::D:D
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not had any knocking at the door this year.

Boy: "Dad,there's carol singers at the door"!
    Dad: "I don't know anyone called Carol Singers,tell her to go away".
    :D
  • Options
    GreenJellyJamGreenJellyJam Posts: 1,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a kid sing a line of 'Wish you a Merry Christmas' quite badly as soon as I said I had no money he ran off.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neil Sedaka doesn't live round here anymore.
  • Options
    Dave StentDave Stent Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We got 1 pair last night, luckily they started singing before we opened the door so we knew not to answer.
  • Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NO, there is a distinct lack of christmassy feeling around this year. Not even as many lights outside houses.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a couple last year but none this.:(
  • Options
    Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinkvelvet wrote: »
    NO, there is a distinct lack of christmassy feeling around this year. Not even as many lights outside houses.

Where I live, residents have made a great effort with lights and decorations.

It's the high streets, town centres, and shops where any sense of Christmas is either less than half-hearted or non-existent. I find that very sad.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really surprised we've not heard any this year. Unless they've went somewhere else in the area maybe, this year.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None so far this year. But a couple of turnings down had some kids who seemed to confuse carole singing with trick or treat and had their house egged when no money was forthcoming.

I think Saturday will be the main day this year if we are going to get some, I will be out though for the evening!
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt anyone notice this thread is a year old ?