Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I search Instagram by putting "instagram search" into google and click on the first link...

Here is a direct link to the picture of the night shoot.

http://statigr.am/p/435657581969821129_23275274

Thanks SO much. I guess I'm instagram illiterate. I kept entering doc martin into the search box at instagram but what appeared on the screen never changed.

Thanks for rescuing me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I found a neat page where they had a survey to find the favorite Doktor Mateo moments - over 33,000 votes!

But it has the videos of all the moments. The are in Spanish, but fun to watch. Some look like pretty typical Martin/Louisa moments, but some of them.......wahoo!

http://www.antena3.com/series/doctor-mateo/noticias/vota-momento-favorito-mateo-adriana_2011071100033.html

I also found a neat way to translate pages on your iPad if you want - very cool and very easy:

http://ctrlq.org/ios/?translate#javascript:location='http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=auto|en&u='+encodeURIComponent(location)

I wish I could understand Spanish -- the Spanish version looks very good, and in MC's appearance on Graham Norton with John Cleese and Lee Mack he said "they've overtaken us. They're writing new episodes." I take this to mean that at some point (interesting to know whether prior to S4, when the whole baby plot developed) the Spanish writers took the story in their own direction, being unwilling to wait the two years between seasons of the British series. It would be very interesting to see a version of Doc Martin that took the characters down an alternative road not taken, but so far I haven't been able to learn where the plot of Doktor Mateo has gone.

In the episodes that I've watched there is certainly a lot more heat than in the British series. I am very fussy about the way couples are shown to make love onscreen. I actually don't like the majority of kisses we have seen between Clunes and Catz (eg. the one in the taxi, the one under the tree at the concert) and if they are going to be doing anything more sexual in S6, as I very much hope, then I would have them keep the majority of it off screen, as suggestion plus imagination is usually more satisfying than watching these actors I find. But the couple from the Spanish series film passion very well, IMO. Ole!
  • Options
    Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Vehicles of Doc Martin

I notice they don't seem to have Satellite Radio in the UK or at least in Port Wenn.

I often wondered about the scene in series 4 ep 8 when he pulls up to the crashed Tommy'sTaxi, then he pulls away in a large puddle. The scenes don't seem to match up.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, Mofromco, just above the box where you type text, either in a fresh post or a reply to someone, you will see a line of symbols for bold, italic, underline, etc., If you look very closely you will see that the last symbol is a very faint S, which is what you click on if you want to put something in those "spoiler" boxes that you have probably noticed. Some folks are reluctant to learn anything much about S6, not wanting to spoil the surprise (I, on the other hand, want every single bit of information that I can glean and misinterpret) so we protect them from information that they might not want to see by putting it in a spoiler box.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the episodes that I've watched there is certainly a lot more heat than in the British series. I am very fussy about the way couples are shown to make love onscreen. I actually don't like the majority of kisses we have seen between Clunes and Catz (eg. the one in the taxi, the one under the tree at the concert) and if they are going to be doing anything more sexual in S6, as I very much hope, then I would have them keep the majority of it off screen, as suggestion plus imagination is usually more satisfying than watching these actors I find. But the couple from the Spanish series film passion very well, IMO. Ole!

Do you think that could be the difference between the hot Latin temperment and the more staid British style?

If you take a look at those videos I posted earlier today (after the post you just responded to) you can see how the last episode ends. Looks like quite an emotional episode and a surprise ending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I When she dies and we see Martin travel around from the morgue to her house, to the funeral service, I think we are supposed to posit more intense feelings than he ever gives voice to. If I had been writing the first two episodes of S5 I would have given Martin at least one speech to somebody which voiced what Aunty Joan had really meant to him.

Now that you mention it, I think actually that Martin goes through his usual repertoire of speech and behavior when he is feeling some strong emotion.

He is moved by her death, quickly recovers himself with a consoling phrase ("70 is a good age" -- No, it's not, I say!) and reaches out for consolation, not to Louisa, but to the comforting presence of JH, who will not try to breach the solitary way he is used to dealing with his feelings.

He walks out of the morgue quite sadly and thoughtfully, it seems to me, yet when Louisa asks him how he is, he says "fine, fine." In denial really and certainly not wanting to talk about it.

WAiting for the hearse -- all his feeling displaced onto anger at it being "8 minutes late" -- and the crowning touch, the ludicrously inappropriate elegy, the longest retreat into medical speak we have seen him make, when confronted by strong emotion that he doesn't know how to handle.

We see him being irritated with her (e.g., on a number of occasions saying "Oh, God" when she shows up unannounced at his back door with a casserole), actually speaking to her spitefully sometimes, etc., and I have remarked how awkward the hugs they exchange are -- with him often plainly being the "hugee" and not comfortable with it.

But it is clear that they had a deep and real bond, although as several have said, quite different to his relationship with Aunt Ruth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Do you think that could be the difference between the hot Latin temperment and the more staid British style?

If you take a look at those videos I posted earlier today (after the post you just responded to) you can see how the last episode ends. Looks like quite an emotional episode and a surprise ending.

Speaking of versions in European countries, I have amused myself by wondering if it would ever be possible to produce an Italian Dottor Martino.

I've spent some time in Italy, and my general sense is that the Italians totally would not get it. I don't quite know why I think that, though.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Speaking of versions in European countries, I have amused myself by wondering if it would ever be possible to produce an Italian Dottor Martino.

I've spent some time in Italy, and my general sense is that the Italians totally would not get it. I don't quite know why I think that, though.

I feel at quite a disadvantage because I am spending this summer in a all mountain town called Boquete. Latin American TV is crap and the pathetic Netflix does not stream Doc Martin as it does in Arizona where we have our home. I am in withdrawn. I'm stuck with You Tube...pretty limited . We're looking for a quiet, inexpensive place where the country takes care of its people, unlike the US where the average person cannot afford health care. OK enough proselytizing. I think that there is a "hidden tribute " in Martin's wonderful speech to Mrs. Tishell . Aside from perfect BBC eloquition I believe he sounds just like Graham Chapman in the castle scene in "The Search for the Holy Grail..."I am Arthur , son of Uthor Pendragon etc. etc.". The minute I heard that I had an amazing flashback . Certainly MC and the others might have thought of that too.....Highly emotional...and hilariously moving.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to say I'm in Panama. Sorry
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I feel at quite a disadvantage because I am spending this summer in a all mountain town called Boquete. Latin American TV is crap and the pathetic Netflix does not stream Doc Martin as it does in Arizona where we have our home. I am in withdrawn. I'm stuck with You Tube...pretty limited . We're looking for a quiet, inexpensive place where the country takes care of its people, unlike the US where the average person cannot afford health care. OK enough proselytizing. I think that there is a "hidden tribute " in Martin's wonderful speech to Mrs. Tishell . Aside from perfect BBC eloquition I believe he sounds just like Graham Chapman in the castle scene in "The Search for the Holy Grail..."I am Arthur , son of Uthor Pendragon etc. etc.". The minute I heard that I had an amazing flashback . Certainly MC and the others might have thought of that too.....Highly emotional...and hilariously moving.

Welcome to the forum, Mofromco!
    Check out www.hulu.com for DM episodes. They have all of the episdoes (I think) for free!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's strange that you should say that, since Dominic M. is Italian. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    That's strange that you should say that, since Dominic M. is Italian. :)

You're totally right, Renee. Although I believe he was born and raised in England (isle of wight).

I still think that Italians would mostly be mystified by DM's clumsiness and shyness with women, and not amused.. Also, his relationship with his mother would be seen as quite bizarre, since mothers and sons are (at least stereotypically) quite close there. Someone who is as socially isolated as DM would be seen as odd, not even understandable or comic.

Of course, it's always risky to think in these stereotypes but that's just my general impression. And of course, there could be a highly successful Italian spin-off that would prove me completely wrong in my theorizing

On the Graham Norton show with John Cleese, I think that MC and John Cleese were joking about their kind of comedy being well accepted in northern Europe, but just didn't do as well in more southern Europe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    redit rYes

Yes, I also think that they (Dom M and (BP) had very different opinions on how it would all pan out - probably midway through S2?? As far as I am aware Dominic Minghella has not been involved in anything Doc Martin since their 'fall out' 8 yrs ago in 2005 (please correct me if i'm wrong) but it does piss me off a bit that Dominic M still chooses to comment on his 'creation' when in fact he doesn't really know anything about the storyline after S2!! Yes he did create the characters, but someone else developed them. It just confuses me a bit why he still takes (and accepts) plaudits for the whole show, when in fact IMO he was just lucky
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Mr. Minghella was hired by Buffalo Pictures to create and write the show (six episodes) for series 1 and ITV loved it! He and his sister Edana Minghella worked together openly on Series 2 and after that they both moved on to other projects. The characters and settings are his, at least for two series. He created them out of thin air, sweat, blood, and tears. All later episodes are built on the foundation which he built.

If they continue to make the show up to Series 15, the credits will still say "Created by Dominic Minghella" the same way that EVERY Star Trek production credits Gene Roddenberry (and he's been dead since 1991).

I believe the man is a master; so in my book he is a hero. Safe to say that I think Dominic Minghella is a literary genius and I admire not only the man but his body of work.

I've seen your grumpy comments about him and they are your opinion. It beats my why you are so disgruntled with the man. I've read your opinion and now you can read mine. Cheers,

Rob
    dmbesotted wrote:
    OUCH

Very harsh comments on a personal opinion, RubiRedi. Your opinion does not diminish that of others so I was sorry to see the comments about it. There are others who share your opinion of "he who shall not be named" here in this forum as this has come up a number of times.

Right, dmbesotted, I agree with you completely.

Here I go again (and again I am ducking). In several instances in which people have criticized D Minghella and/or made comments that they prefer the direction the show took after he left, there seems to be a quite emotional and almost angry response. Clearly there are different opinions. I get a little upset, however, when someone who expresses their opinion is set upon as if they shouldn't express their opinion. It's happened several times and I don't quite understand why the anger flares the way it does. I mean, surely here at this forum we're allowed to discuss differing viewpoints, especially when there apparently was a clear parting of the ways between two "camps" involved in the show.

Someone like RubyRedi, who has been here since the forum beginning, who suffered through a gap in which Scottish TV didn't even air DM, and who fought to get it back on the air, who went through the changeover when Minghella left and the show took a somewhat different direction, I think is entitled to express an opinion without being attacked. Same thing for a few others who have criticized the direction Minghella took the show in and what has happened since.

Way back when, when RubyRedi and others who were active at this forum discussed the direction of the show and Minghella's involvement, it was a legitimate area of discussion. Can this no longer be discussed without people becoming angry? Is this topic off limits?

I'm fascinated to see that this is something that brings out the emotions in the group, especially since MC and PB apparently had a difference of opinion with Minghella and took the show in the direction they chose (well, it is their show). It's fascinating because in the disagreements here, I almost think I can "feel" the differences of opinion that may have gone on between Minghella and Clunes/Braithwaite.

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other, by the way, whether Minghella was taking the show in the correct direction or Clunes/Braithwaite were right in taking it in their own direction, and who was right or wrong in the parting of the ways. I like it all! I like S1 and S2. I like S3, 4, and 5 (although S5 confused me at first). I think the Minghellas and the Clunses are all brilliantly talented, wonderful people. I just think differences of opinion and assorted ways of looking at this show are exactly what forums are for. Know what I mean? Surely we aren't all expected to have exactly the same opinions in this group?

So, go ahead, I'm ready; I know there will be people (again) who will be angry with me, me who has no real opinion on pro or con Minghella, who just thinks it's okay for others to express their opinions.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    If you read his blog you will see that Dominic Minghella took a character (who had a very small part) transformed his character and created an entire microcosm of a town and its people around him.

Dominic left behind a series architecture for subsequent series which has been followed.

Dominion didnt mean that DM and LG shouldn't have a relationship but that if they got together and were blissfully happy it would ruin the show. The love story starts from s1ep1. He wanted them to be in love.

I am one of those who love s1& s2 best because of the fantastic writing: show don't tell, subtle layers and meaning, touching my life and experiences, creating real characters with flaws, depth and compassion. Without the first 2 series I would not have been hooked on the show. I know what an emotional roller coaster writing is but I have no idea how traumatic getting your babies on screen and having to get their development working to your satisfaction then approved and reshuffled by the tv network, directors, producers etc is like. No doubt it was difficult.

I must admit though that Dominic's great writing is hugely reinforced and emphasised by the great acting and direction. If you watch the French version this is particularly evident - same words, mostly the same characters, zero impact.

Martin Clunes and Caroline Catz are excellent actors with a fantastic chemistry together and the other actors just reinforce them both. Half of the emotion/meaning is conveyed by glances between the actors. The writers have continued the great example set by Dominic Minghella from the beginning.

I love the show -especially s 1 and s2 -so I may be biased. :D:D:D

See, like that, like cc.cookie's post, which is nice and interesting and friendly, but still expressing a difference of opinion. Very cool, cc.cookie, thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Hi, I search Instagram by putting "instagram search" into google and click on the first link...

Here is a direct link to the picture of the night shoot.

http://statigr.am/p/435657581969821129_23275274

Thank you Leanne for coming to the rescue! I was off-line for a bit.
    I agree that I can not reconcile the role of the pony and I have some trepidation about what that plot line will bring. Someone mentioned their fear that the show will "jump the shark" in S6. I fear it will "jump the pony!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DM_Wonk wrote: »
    Thank you Leanne for coming to the rescue! I was off-line for a bit.
    I agree that I can not reconcile the role of the pony and I have some trepidation about what that plot line will bring. Someone mentioned their fear that the show will "jump the shark" in S6. I fear it will "jump the pony!"
    Neigh, neigh (stamp, stamp, snort, whinny), neigh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When she dies and we see Martin travel around from the morgue to her house, to the funeral service, I think we are supposed to posit more intense feelings than he ever gives voice to. If I had been writing the first two episodes of S5 I would have given Martin at least one speech to somebody which voiced what Aunty Joan had really meant to him.

poorrichard,

At the funeral the writers do have Bert saying to DM "She meant everything to you."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've spent time in Italy too and I think you're right. They wouldn't get it. I don't think they would understand this man who can't express his feelings, who holds so much inside himself, who doesn't just shout at Louisa that he loves her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    poorrichard,

At the funeral the writers do have Bert saying to DM "She meant everything to you."

That's true. I believe Bert was speaking for Martin in that moment, telling us something we knew, but that Martin couldn't express.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    While shop girl has worked to find locations and buildings of this beloved show, these other fellows have a website where they track a number of cars and trucks used in TV shows:

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_408381-Doc-Martin.html

They do not tally Louisa's vanishing car from S2. Any guesses on what is was/is?

At last count the Doc has driven a Lexus LS430 and an LS460.

Lexus has different models? :confused:
    :)

Don't ask me about cars, Rob. If it goes when I turn the key and keeps going until I park it I am happy. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I've spent time in Italy too and I think you're right. They wouldn't get it. I don't think they would understand this man who can't express his feelings, who holds so much inside himself, who doesn't just shout at Louisa that he loves her.

I was trolling YT this evening for scenes with Mateo y Adriana and found this gem. Seems like when they did get together (although we can see in the final scenes that they did break up long enough for her to get engaged to Nico) they had a pretty wild love life. Make sure to catch the scene in the kitchen :eek:. As poorrichard said - Ole!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UIOWacRRuV4
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I am really enjoying reading everyone's opinions and what interests everyone in the Doc Martin shows.

I did prefer the Doc's personality in the first two series,

After that 2nd season, I felt he had lost his secret-well-meaningness-personality.

Still enjoyed the series but I missed his secret soft heart, like the time he helped that teenage girl deal with her lack of boobies!. ha ha

Having said that - I believe the actors are ALL such strong talented people- that it is one of those shows you just HAVE to continue watching till the very end cause all the characters draw you.

So I guess I believe that the Mengela's input in the show, their character creations and storylines in the first two years or so is really what got Doc Martin off the ground and onto the success Road. Menghela's contribution together with the perfect actors in the perfect roles is what made the show so successful.

I am looking forward to the new series which I hope is full of more "human" stories even if they are just background ones. I want to see Joe Large settled in a relationship with a woman while staying close to his father. That kind of things.

I am very happy to see Mrs. Tishall is back. I hope she is in a lot of scenes cause I really like her role.

Excited to see how they manage Docs practice power struggles and also how they manage all the relationships with the villagers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is Martin doing over there by that tree? :eek:

Texting ME :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    So, go ahead, I'm ready; I know there will be people (again) who will be angry with me, me who has no real opinion on pro or con Minghella, who just thinks it's okay for others to express their opinions.:)

Well said Biffpup

Variety IS the spice of life.

It is the manner in which those opinions are shared that is sometimes sadly lacking

Mutual respect is the key to our successful forum
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a show like this where a very definite role is played by the receptionist, the policeman, the aunt etc. I like the fact that they have not made these stock roles into stock characters (eg. Morwenna is different from Pauline who is different from Elaine, Mark Mylow and Joe Penhale are both a bit wet but they are subtly different too, and while there is an "auntly" role that Ruth and Joan both play in Martin's life, the things he draws from each emotionally is very different.

Aunt Joan I think gets in trouble with her neighbours in a similar way to Martin. She speaks her mind; but like Louisa she is also really interested in and "likes people" -- so by some (eg. Danny and Phil) she is considered an interfering busy body. Yet she is kind, bringing soup around to her sick neighbour, bringing casseroles around to Martin. I have said before that I think the elder Ellinghams are quite a religious family in the conventional sense, but I think Joan's relationship with John Slater put her on the outside of all that. She has been a rebel long before the 60s and part of what has made her a "survivor" is not only her need to eke out a living in a harsh financial climate, but also her need to stand flinty faced against a tide of moral opprobrium. She is tough but she is also tender, and this is a combination which makes her a very good person to have in Martin's life. She will call him on his BS in a way that Aunty Ruth never quite does, but she will always be the one to show up at his leave-taking (S4E7) (even though she disagrees with it) and put her arms around him and let him know that she loves him and wishes him well. I don't see her character as having changed so dramatically in S4. I see her taking a position in support of Louisa, from her understanding of how difficult a position Louisa is in. This places her in opposition to Martin in much of that season and we also know her to be struggling with her own financial worries. When she dies and we see Martin travel around from the morgue to her house, to the funeral service, I think we are supposed to posit more intense feelings than he ever gives voice to. If I had been writing the first two episodes of S5 I would have given Martin at least one speech to somebody which voiced what Aunty Joan had really meant to him.

Aunty Ruth is a much more aloof woman. She looks at things through the grid of her scientific learning, not through what her lived experience has taught her. This makes her an easier person to be around for Martin, and I think Mona is right that he respects her at a whole other level than he respects Joan. But I am not sure that she is ever going to be as helpful to Martin in his life and along the personal journey that I understand him to be making, as Aunty Joan was. Another truth teller needs to be found for Martin and another person who is warm and generous with her love (perhaps those two roles will now be fulfilled by Louisa). On the other hand, Aunt Ruth's psychological expertise make it possible to use her in the medical plots of many of the episodes in a way that Aunty Joan could not have been given a place. I am interested in Aunt Ruth's own story -- about which we do not know much at this point except for that brief reference to "quasi sexual experiences at an early age." Was she ever married or in love? I don't think she has children but what has this meant in her life? With Joan I have the sense that the lack of children was a grief for which she compensated partially with Martin. What is Ruth's relationship with brother Christopher? What is her relationship with the church and with that conventional Ellingham morality? What will the move to Cornwall mean to her, city-girl that she is? Her aloofness was served very well by the anonymity of city living, but will she form meaningful relationships with people in Portwenn besides Al? I still miss Joan because I consider that what she gave to Martin was not adequately replaced in Ruth, but I also like the addition of Ruth to the cast because there are plenty of untapped plot possibilities in her backstory, and in her story-line going forward.

So well said, poorrichard! :)
This discussion has been closed.