Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I had it happen a few times several days ago with the ad posted on the right side of the page just above the page numbers of the thread. But it hasn't happened in several days now.

But I did just see one at the upper left corner of the page blocking out the large letters of "Digital Spy". Let me see if I can find the email address to send the screenshot.

And then boom! Transformers covered part of this post. Now I have 2 screenshots to send if I can only find the address.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    That 'over 55' demographic..

Well, I was a bit offended when I first saw that comment but with all the other people commenting, I have come to a better conclusion...

Those of us, of a certain age or not, who like subtle and nuanced characters and humor are the ones drawn to the world of Doc Martin. We appreciate the character studies, the scenery, the love story, and the incredible acting and writing.
    We don't need action, lots of guns, explosions, and killings, or computer-generated imagery in our entertainment.
    And I think we'd have to be a lot past the +55 to enjoy Lawrence Welk. Even passing while changing channels that really screams something so unappealing for me....

And hey, by the way, saw the DM DVDs at my local warehouse store, BJs today - all five. I was at Target later and they had a few British TV DVDs but not even an empty space for Doc.
    Forum Member
    And then boom! Transformers covered part of this post. Now I have 2 screenshots to send if I can only find the address.

My ad is for some Transformer ride at Universal Orlando Resort - uuuggghhh
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    But at least we're upscale as well, apparently.
    DMfan wrote: »
    I am a professor of statistics and do work for both television and movie ratings companies. ITV and all production companies make their ratings available to companies to target advertising. The ratings for Doc Martin are highly concentrated in the 55 plus group. British companies are finding, like US companies, that this is quite a wealthy group and do target particular demographic groups as you must know. For example if you watch evening television news shows, which are generally run in the 5 to 7 p.m. timeframe, notice that the advertising is skewed to an older demographic. These people obtain their news from television while younger people obtain it from websites or car radio. Looking at the photos of people visiting Doc Martin's filming, it seems most are in an older demographic. From the language patterns and cultural references on this site, it appears many of the contributors are in the 55 plus demographic. I did not mean to offend anyone, but the show does appeal to an older demographic. I am 48 and enjoy the show. What led me to check its ratings is that most of my friends and colleagues have no interest in the show.

The popup ads you are complaining about are part of targeted marketing.

Phew! I get my news from the net so I am in the lower group! :)
    Also confirmed by the fact that I'm not getting the popular ads ATM.
    AND at least we're all upscale as NewPark says. :cool:

So it's not Buffalo Pictures that is targeting a group it is that, like it or not, the group it attracts has been identified as a large proportion of 55+. I was being taking a stab at humour in my first post BTW.

Isn't it fascinating that they target +55 with transformers? For +55 to buy for grandchildren in the hope that they're a desirable, trendy toy no doubt. Or if it is a movie ad or a ride to take the grandchildren to. Very interesting, thank you DMFan.
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone, I am new and have been reading posts. My PBS station started carrying the show this year.

Edith/Ellingham and Louisa/Martin

The Doc’s two loves pull him in two directions of his persona. Edith, who calls him by his surname, is an enabler who brings out all the “Ellingham” tendencies.

DM can say Edith smells like cheese and Edith shrugs it off. When DM discourses on Louisa’s breath, she throws him out of the taxi.

Edith goes along with the Doc when he pulls the sheets of the bed of a five-star hotel to look for bed bugs. Louisa tells him there are 20 things that are “crap” about him.

I am hoping that Louisa continues to pull him to the “Martin” side

Welcome to the forum and the more the merrier in this game that is the world of Doc Martin. I look forward every day to seeing the new comments and it is always great to get a new member with new perspective. It gives us a chance to talk it all over all over again, and again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    That 'over 55' demographic..

Well, I was a bit offended when I first saw that comment but with all the other people commenting, I have come to a better conclusion...

Those of us, of a certain age or not, who like subtle and nuanced characters and humor are the ones drawn to the world of Doc Martin. We appreciate the character studies, the scenery, the love story, and the incredible acting and writing.
    We don't need action, lots of guns, explosions, and killings, or computer-generated imagery in our entertainment.
    And I think we'd have to be a lot past the +55 to enjoy Lawrence Welk. Even passing while changing channels that really screams something so unappealing for me....

And hey, by the way, saw the DM DVDs at my local warehouse store, BJs today - all five. I was at Target later and they had a few British TV DVDs but not even an empty space for Doc.

Yes, I was thinking exactly the same when I read your message, dmbesotted. It really has nothing to do with age--it is people of all ages--with certain sensibilities who love Doc Martin. Actually, I've been pleasantly surprised to see comments on You Tube from young people in their twenties who say how much they love John Coltrane/Johnny Hartman, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Johnny Mathis, Jane Powell, Shirley Jones, Doris Day, Howard Keel, just to name a few, as well as the old 40's and 50's musicals. They are asking why there are no longer songs and voices like these anymore!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum and the more the merrier in this game that is the world of Doc Martin. I look forward every day to seeing the new comments and it is always great to get a new member with new perspective. It gives us a chance to talk it all over all over again, and again.

And again.....and again....... :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that the stills of Martin Clunes that are natural - taken in awares (if that's possible) - are so much more attractive than those where he stands looking directly at the camera. I would have thought that, as an actor, he would have perfected a great photo op photo.

I also thought BP might have added a bit more than 32,000 GBP to the 400,000 GBP cost of the Port Isaac car park!!!
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Conscious memory of abuse and/or neglect is not necessary for the development of attachment disorder. However, I don't think

that's what's going on with ME -- he probably had a nanny of some kind who was at least somewhat nurturing and at least some kind of maternal care in the beginning. I think the neglect in attachment disorder is really pretty gross, and inconsistency also is a big key.

He does have a capacity to attach -- usually hidden and very guarded, but still there, and able to be elicited in the right circumstances.

I really like Shop Girl's formulation of two ME's -- one Dr Ellingham, the other Martin. Louisa is able to bring out in him that capacity to love another person, which usually Dr. Ellingham keeps hidden even from himself. I think a lot of his wavering and indecision and inability to go after her is related to his own fear of his softer side which might betray him into loving and trusting and then inevitably being rejected and pushed away, He would have learned at a very early age to keep his wants and needs to himself, but capacity to attach is still there, imo anyway.

Thanks for responding New Park, as I think I remember this is part of your special field of knowledge.:)
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Interesting that the stills of Martin Clunes that are natural - taken in awares (if that's possible) - are so much more attractive than those where he stands looking directly at the camera. I would have thought that, as an actor, he would have perfected a great photo op photo.

I also thought BP might have added a bit more than 32,000 GBP to the 400,000 GBP cost of the Port Isaac car park!!!

Perhaps they kept it to a minimum as it was a contentious issue and they were a large part of it.
    And besides - I want them to save their money for S7!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a professor of statistics and do work for both television and movie ratings companies. ITV and all production companies make their ratings available to companies to target advertising. The ratings for Doc Martin are highly concentrated in the 55 plus group. British companies are finding, like US companies, that this is quite a wealthy group and do target particular demographic groups as you must know. For example if you watch evening television news shows, which are generally run in the 5 to 7 p.m. timeframe, notice that the advertising is skewed to an older demographic. These people obtain their news from television while younger people obtain it from websites or car radio. Looking at the photos of people visiting Doc Martin's filming, it seems most are in an older demographic. From the language patterns and cultural references on this site, it appears many of the contributors are in the 55 plus demographic. I did not mean to offend anyone, but the show does appeal to an older demographic. I am 48 and enjoy the show. What led me to check its ratings is that most of my friends and colleagues have no interest in the show.

DMfan, thanks so much for clarifying. I just love all the different expertise we have on this forum. And I do feel for folks who don't give it a try. I do think there is a timelessness to it similar to a Mr. Chips story. I was noticing in rewatching S1 E4 how many quick cuts to other story lines there are in it at times that reminds me of on-screen change times that were excelerating as kids grew up with video games and such.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The bolded words remind me of a recent interview and the perennial question "Doesn't DM bring a lot of tourists to PI?" MC's answer this time reflected the fact that BP hasn't put up the signs to Doc's house or where thus and so is from the series--the village of PI has done that! And the tourists are coming whether it is filming time or not. (I chose not, btw, simply to see the real deal, not just the filming.)

It seems to me organizations (PI) with products to sell (tourism) are often happy just to get into some film/TV productions as that is called "product placement" and often pay for the privilege of doing so. In the car park case, it went the other way round. So good on BP for being sensitive to the village and their use of it and greasing the production wheels at the same time. Looks like a win-win all around to me.

And sorry, but he looks pretty attractive most of the time to me, whether posing or caught by accident. Am I just really so far gone??????
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being interviewed wearing the Hawaiian shirt. Notice he has parted his DM hair to look a bit less like ME:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tamsinmelville/status/354264447600185344/photos

I wonder why he parted his hair? It's getting a little long on top for DM. I wonder if he had to get it shaved ONE MORE TIME to continue filming? Maybe our PI spies can give us an update. I always love hearing their stories. Gives me a vicarious thrill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So the National Guard is targeting the 55+ group? ;-) Did appreciate the background for your thesis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I wonder why he parted his hair? It's getting a little long on top for DM. I wonder if he had to get it shaved ONE MORE TIME to continue filming? Maybe our PI spies can give us an update. I always love hearing their stories. Gives me a vicarious thrill.

Maybe Louisa is influencing him to grow his hair out a little? And maybe she is getting him out to the park for picnics and swingsets with James and he is getting a little bit of color?
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Another blogger on the DM band wagon.
    http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/alan-waldman-doc-martin-is-quirky-brit.html

Concerning the demographics for which DM is tailored, I'll leave that to others who are better qualified on the subject - but how to explain the world wide interest in the program. I'm sure there have been other programs that have been copied for specific countries, but I don't think I know of any that seem to be as wide spread as our good old DM. So demographics aside there must be something about the program that resonates in many languages.

My comment on the love making between DM and LG is that less is more.
  • Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member

The parking lot cost 137,000 GBP and they allotted 140,000 for the building of it from what I read in the article.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    And a big bruise on her face! Poor thing! Can't wait to see how Martin reacts to her being in danger or injured.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    lemster wrote: »

My comment on the love making between DM and LG is that less is more.

Less lovemaking or less talk about lovemaking?

:p;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Less lovemaking or less talk about lovemaking?

:p;)

Well, I say that only more is more. I don't think there could possibly be any less lovemaking than in the last series. :confused:
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And a big bruise on her face! Poor thing! Can't wait to see how Martin reacts to her being in danger or injured.
    I wonder if she had some minor accident as CC, not LGE -- people on FB have been wondering why they haven't seen her for the last couple weeks of shooting. OTOH, a facial bruise would be easy to cover with makeup.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

But look how slim The Doc is...:confused:
This discussion has been closed.