Death in Paradise Series 4 Thursday Jan 8th 2015

Comments

• gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    Ben Miller didn't stink in the show, far from it. Marshall can't even convince himself when he does his Columbo/Monk routine of assessing the crime scene.
  • EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    I agree. I couldn't concentrate on anything but the thinness of her arms.

Have to agree. She's spoke out before how she is not ill, but it's certainly off-putting as a viewer. There's thin and then thin!
  • primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »
    Ben Miller didn't stink in the show, far from it. Marshall can't even convince himself when he does his Columbo/Monk routine of assessing the crime scene.

Okay, then he was just an idiot.

Anyone who doesn't take off his jacket in 100 degree weather is an idiot. I found that unbearable.
  • VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Ben Miller didn't stink in the show, far from it"

Okay, then he was just an idiot.

Anyone who doesn't take off his jacket in 100 degree weather is an idiot. I found that unbearable.

You seem to be confusing actor with character.

Ben Miller didn't stink. And it would have been the writers who came up with the (admittedly absurd) idea that he'd keep his jacket on all the time - which, I agree, was distractingly idiotic.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    I completely agree about Camille and Humphrey. I hope the writers leave it as it is, as it would indeed change the programme dynamic if they got together or declared their feelings for each other. The underlying and undeclared affection between them is just perfect as a background theme.

Regarding Nicky, I loved Humphrey's awkward attempt at a 'man hug' with him and his obvious dislike of him..."Does he own he shirt?!"

Also, Dwayne's attempt to impress with his efficiency: "I've been cataloging the evidence....which I do all the time..." :D

The problem is that you cannot easily keep the "will they wont they" dynamic going on forever. The story has to move forward. (Unless you are Lee Mack, and even that did at the end). When the Richard character was killed off it gave them the chance to start again with a new "relationship".
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why they needed another sergeant to replace Fidel? I expected his replacement to be the same rank as Dwayne.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,509
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    I don't understand why they needed another sergeant to replace Fidel? I expected his replacement to be the same rank as Dwayne.

Fidel had been promoted to sergeant before he left though, so presumably his replacement was meant to be the equivalent?
  • MeridaMerida Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    I completely agree about Camille and Humphrey. I hope the writers leave it as it is, as it would indeed change the programme dynamic if they got together or declared their feelings for each other. The underlying and undeclared affection between them is just perfect as a background theme.

Regarding Nicky, I loved Humphrey's awkward attempt at a 'man hug' with him and his obvious dislike of him..."Does he own he shirt?!"

Also, Dwayne's attempt to impress with his efficiency: "I've been cataloging the evidence....which I do all the time..." :D

Agree with all of the above. The "will they/won't they" feels the same in Doctor Blake, and I feel if Lucien and Jean got together the dynamic would change completely and I think having the unspoken affection for each other is part of the charm in both programmes. I suspect we may see a shift in relationship between Lucien and Jean in series 3, perhaps anything between Humphrey and Camille may not happen until the end of this series.

I'm new to DiP so can't compare Ben Miller but I like Kris Marshall in this as well as the rest of the cast, it's a very nice balance and I'm really enjoying it.
  • primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Merida wrote: »
    Agree with all of the above. The "will they/won't they" feels the same in Doctor Blake, and I feel if Lucien and Jean got together the dynamic would change completely and I think having the unspoken affection for each other is part of the charm in both programmes. I suspect we may see a shift in relationship between Lucien and Jean in series 3, perhaps anything between Humphrey and Camille may not happen until the end of this series.

I'm new to DiP so can't compare Ben Miller but I like Kris Marshall in this as well as the rest of the cast, it's a very nice balance and I'm really enjoying it.

I'd best be careful - Richard was painful to watch, Humphrey is much better.

Meanwhile, I'm sorry to read that Fidel left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that you cannot easily keep the "will they wont they" dynamic going on forever. The story has to move forward. (Unless you are Lee Mack, and even that did at the end). When the Richard character was killed off it gave them the chance to start again with a new "relationship".

I would agree if the 'story' were primarily about the relationship between the inspector and Camille. However, they are not, that's just a side issue.

If they 'got together' it would create all sorts of problems whilst removing a minor, but quite fun sideline.

The only programme I can think of where two 'will they/won't they' characters got together and stayed together was Frasier. In other cases either the series have ended or the characters have split up and you are back to 'will they/won't they' again.

I think they are somewhat overplaying this at the moment, unless this is the last series and they are going to get together for the finale.
  • sussex_seagirlsussex_seagirl Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was gutted when Ben Miller left. I understood his reasons but I couldn't see how anyone could replace Richard. I only really knew Kris Marshall from My Family and Love Actually and I really couldn't see how it would work.

Now I like Humphrey as much as I did Richard, for entirely different reasons. Ben and Kris are both excellent in their respective roles. I'm glad that there was a conscious decision to make Humphrey and Richard almost as different as is possible from each other. If they'd tried to make Richard's successor a carbon copy or clone of him, I don't think it would have worked. In some ways it would have been nice to see Richard and Humph working on a case together. Although Richard effectively solved his own murder, that doesn't count.:)
    I haven't really missed Fidel, yet.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vetinari wrote: »
    I would agree if the 'story' were primarily about the relationship between the inspector and Camille. However, they are not, that's just a side issue.

BIB, but it helped him to solve this week's puzzle as he saw Will Mellor's "awkwardness" around the wife as a reflection of his discomfort around Camille.

K
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    Fidel had been promoted to sergeant before he left though, so presumably his replacement was meant to be the equivalent?
    Yes, but why replace him with another sergeant? That's what I don't understand.
  • sussex_seagirlsussex_seagirl Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If they 'got together' it would create all sorts of problems whilst removing a minor, but quite fun sideline.

The only programme I can think of where two 'will they/won't they' characters got together and stayed together was Frasier. In other cases either the series have ended or the characters have split up and you are back to 'will they/won't they' again.

I think they are somewhat overplaying this at the moment, unless this is the last series and they are going to get together for the finale.

I know what you mean. The only other series I can think of where two will they won't they characters have got together and stayed together is Bones. To be fair, they are still making that, they they could split them up, but I don't *think* they will.
    Forum Member
    You seem to be confusing actor with character.

Ben Miller didn't stink. And it would have been the writers who came up with the (admittedly absurd) idea that he'd keep his jacket on all the time - which, I agree, was distractingly idiotic.

I thought the series was inspired by an English detective sent over to investigate Bob Woolmer's death in Jamaica? He was reported as being over-dressed for the climate and quite bemused by the whole culture clash. Anyway, both characters are meant to seem eccentric fish out of water types. Wearing a suit was never 'idiotic'; it was just a sign of the character's fussiness and insecurity and suspicion of the 'exotic' culture (hardly that unusual, in fact).
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can keep going with the 'will they-won't they' for very long if they keep it more subtle. I was just commenting that this season, they were giving clear signs very early.
    Perhaps Humphrey will misunderstand Camille's relation with Nicky and keep to himself for a few more episode before a development in the final.

I like Humphrey almost as much as Poole but sometimes the clumsy bits look a bit phony, like this week. Didn't distract me too much but he's no Peter Sellers!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »
    I thought the series was inspired by an English detective sent over to investigate Bob Woolmer's death in Jamaica? He was reported as being over-dressed for the climate and quite bemused by the whole culture clash. Anyway, both characters are meant to seem eccentric fish out of water types. Wearing a suit was never 'idiotic'; it was just a sign of the character's fussiness and insecurity and suspicion of the 'exotic' culture (hardly that unusual, in fact).

It wasn't the fact that he wore a suit at all that was idiotic, it was that he wore the damn thing all the time - with a tie.

Even when he was off duty at home he would be ridiculously over dressed.

It's called: Over-egging the custard.
  • hallchallc Posts: 200,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another nice episode, very easy on the eye. I had a good "gander" at the lovely Claire
    Can,t wait till next week to see who,s in it..
  • MeridaMerida Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hallc wrote: »
    Another nice episode, very easy on the eye. I had a good "gander" at the lovely Claire
    Can,t wait till next week to see who,s in it..

I'll balance that by saying it was nice to see Will Mellor (even if he was wearing too many clothes ;-):blush:) :D
    Forum Member
    It wasn't the fact that he wore a suit at all that was idiotic, it was that he wore the damn thing all the time - with a tie.

Even when he was off duty at home he would be ridiculously over dressed.

It's called: Over-egging the custard.

Nope. He was an Englishman who resented being sent out there and wanted to go home. Hence the symbolism of his dress and obsession with tea. But if you want to subject everything else in this evanescent little bit of entertainment to the same quasi-Leavisite level of critique, then I fear even you will find so many more 'idiotic' things about the show you'll extend the thread by several pages. Pip pip.
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The plots are often ludicrously obvious and contrived and yet they're fussing over a suit! A bit late for all the moaning about two series ago by supposed fans of the show anyway. I didn't even notice them moaning about the suit when he was still in the thing! What an odd bunch.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can keep going with the 'will they-won't they' for very long if they keep it more subtle. I was just commenting that this season, they were giving clear signs very early.
    Perhaps Humphrey will misunderstand Camille's relation with Nicky and keep to himself for a few more episode before a development in the final.

I like Humphrey almost as much as Poole but sometimes the clumsy bits look a bit phony, like this week. Didn't distract me too much but he's no Peter Sellers!

In the clip they showed of next week's episode, when Humphrey was building up to speaking to Camille, I expected it to be followed by Camille kissing Nicky, so Humphrey doesn't say anything.
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they don't turn it into a soap. The romantic stuff is already getting a bit tiresome.
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These plots and storylines are getting more bizarre and silly
    Please get back to the original format with Ben Miller
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About Poole constantly wearing his jacket: he was playing an Englishman that even his English colleagues found too reserved, so i would describe it more as shyness and stubbornness than idiotic.
    And it gave us many fun moments.