Linda - "Jim would you stop being nice to me"

1789101113»

Comments

• trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Jubadi wrote: »
    The edit plays a huge part in framing the apparent context. Jim's fellow HMs were baffled at what was being shown to get him cheers and saved first every week (and said so), because they weren't seeing it in his behaviour in the house. No one knew that the largely friendly and supportive woman they all loved and called "Momma" was being portrayed as a relentless harpy hounding 'poor old Jim'.

Of course they couldn't show her doing or saying anything she hadn't done or said, but it was just a few minutes out of each day, after he'd done his usual winding up then acting all innocent, which also played into the impression that was being created by the edit.

It wouldn't have mattered so much if Linda being happy and having fun and being appreciated by the others had been shown, at all, for balance, but it wasn't.

I remember Linda's initial interview when she came out and subsequent ones when she was quite tolerant and forbearing about the fact she'd come across in a certain way and that editing could have played a part in that. She was a great fan of the show like Nadia and seemed quite robust about her treatment.

She came across very well for that :)
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I follow the C5 clips, many of which don't make the main show and the edit plays a huge part, even from those short glimpses.Not everyone follows the C5 site and when you do the picture painted by BB on the main show can be very distorted and lead to constant arguments on here. As you know, no matter how many times you post links to the fuller story, they are ignored/missed and it can frustratingly stay stuck in the rut of the main show edit.. Coughing Perez being just one example. Even that was out of context on the C5 site after hearing the full story. And so it goes on. Out of context is a very easy manipulative tool to use and my do they use it, in their chosen bias .. Live feed, on the whole, seemed to prevent this manipulation. I would imagine, it would still lead to arguments on forums about context, if FM's hadn't watched it.

I am inclined to think the viewers own prejudice or likes and dislikes are of more significance else why do people not accept perfectly rational explanations given not only by those who've seen the bigger picture but by the HMs themselves :confused:

I suppose when you've invested support in someone or are heavily anti someone for whatever reason(s) it's hard to change even when faced by compelling or damning evidence.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annoys me a bit when people assume if you like Jim you dislike women, only loose woman I am not keen on is someone called Jamelia I think the others I have no problem with, was a fan of the Nolans back in the day and was in the mood for dancing whenever it came on the radio, can even get me up having a boogie these days. I am not keen on some of the sisters, Linda seemed nasty, as does Colleen, but Anne seems lovely.

People in BB I judge on their time in the house nothing else, I give them a chance and try to wipe any slate clean as they go through the doors, I never take the VTs they make before they go in as in anyway a representation of the men and women.

I never ever think who people want to win is in anyway representative of them personally I have liked people very much not like me on many occasions just because they were a good HM, Rex for instance and Victor and Jason, so unlike me but fantastic HMs. I have even been on the side of completely opposing HMs some years as I thought both Rachel and Rex would have made fine winners also both Jason and Nadia deserved to win their year.

Just because you chose someone like you don't assume we all do !
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I follow the C5 clips, many of which don't make the main show and the edit plays a huge part, even from those short glimpses.Not everyone follows the C5 site and when you do the picture painted by BB on the main show can be very distorted and lead to constant arguments on here. As you know, no matter how many times you post links to the fuller story, they are ignored/missed and it can frustratingly stay stuck in the rut of the main show edit.. Coughing Perez being just one example. Even that was out of context on the C5 site after hearing the full story. And so it goes on. Out of context is a very easy manipulative tool to use and my do they use it, in their chosen bias .. Live feed, on the whole, seemed to prevent this manipulation. I would imagine, it would still lead to arguments on forums about context, if FM's hadn't watched it.
    I reckon the Shilpa thing would have been played very differently, if there had been no live feed.

And Dave the 'monk', as an example, was given a very generous edit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing with live feed I loved was I there was any confusion about who said what you could trust the what is happening thread on this forum to have caught exactly what was going on and the time it happened too. They were absolutely amazing and so dedicated.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    The thing with live feed I loved was I there was any confusion about who said what you could trust the what is happening thread on this forum to have caught exactly what was going on and the time it happened too. They were absolutely amazing and so dedicated.

Yes, I agree with all this.
    Forum Member
    Annoys me a bit when people assume if you like Jim you dislike women, only loose woman I am not keen on is someone called Jamelia I think the others I have no problem with, was a fan of the Nolans back in the day and was in the mood for dancing whenever it came on the radio, can even get me up having a boogie these days. I am not keen on some of the sisters, Linda seemed nasty, as does Colleen, but Anne seems lovely.

People in BB I judge on their time in the house nothing else, I give them a chance and try to wipe any slate clean as they go through the doors, I never take the VTs they make before they go in as in anyway a representation of the men and women.

I never ever think who people want to win is in anyway representative of them personally I have liked people very much not like me on many occasions just because they were a good HM, Rex for instance and Victor and Jason, so unlike me but fantastic HMs. I have even been on the side of completely opposing HMs some years as I thought both Rachel and Rex would have made fine winners also both Jason and Nadia deserved to win their year.

Just because you chose someone like you don't assume we all do !

You haven't quoted me but it appears you may be referring to my post.

I was trying to come up with a reason why some refuse to see a perfectly rational explanation for behaviour and keep repeating the same prejudiced or negative assumptions ignoring any evidence showing the contrary to be the case. This is happening in threads on the forum now EG the Perez and Alex one.

Posters choosing someone to follow and someone to dislike and sticking by that decision regardless seemed a possible answer. You're welcome to give an alternative reason.
    Forum Member

Except people didn't necessairly trust it did they? It often came down to likes and dislikes and preconceptions either perceived in those reporting the goings on or from those reading and interpreting the reports of what was going on.

I loved live feed but more from watching it myself. A great aspect of it was seeing relationships that you had no idea existed. I remember the last significant LF we had was the year of Gina et al and it was lovely to see her and Sam have such a nice friendship but I also remember others saying that the reports of that were greatly exaggerated.

Even with LF there were disagreements I'm afraid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You haven't quoted me but it appears you may be referring to my post.

I was trying to come up with a reason why some refuse to see a perfectly rational explanation for behaviour and keep repeating the same prejudiced or negative assumptions ignoring any evidence showing the contrary to be the case. This is happening in threads on the forum now EG the Perez and Alex one.

Posters choosing someone to follow and someone to dislike and sticking by that decision regardless seemed a possible answer. You're welcome to give an alternative reason.

No I wasn't aiming it at you patseylimerick made a point in her post that I find generally irritating when people make assumptions about what a person is like because of who they support.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except people didn't necessairly trust it did they? It often came down to likes and dislikes and preconceptions either perceived in those reporting the goings on or from those reading and interpreting the reports of what was going on.

I loved live feed but more from watching it myself. A great aspect if it was seeing relationships that you had no idea existed. I remember the last significant LF we had was the year of Gina et al and it was lovely to see her and Sam have such a nice friendship but I also remember others saying that the reports of that were greatly exaggerated.

Even with LF there were disagreements I'm afraid.
    Oh yes there were disagreements but I certainly know who I trusted to get it right. TBH some people could start an argument about whether black is white, nothing you can do or say will stop them.
    Forum Member
    Oh yes there were disagreements but I certainly know who I trusted to get it right. TBH some people could start an argument about whether black is white, nothing you can do or say will stop them.

Is that last bit aimed at me >:(:(. :D;-)

Regarding WHATM if it was verbatim conversations then yes there was nothing better and it was often used to settle things but some things are more subtle and are down to interpretation and WHATM didn't necessarily help there.

Even in what we do get to see there are different views on it. EG in the Linda, Jim CBB many see Jim as a total WUM, deliberately winding Linda up and it being a bit sinister whereas others see him as a bit of a joker innocent even and Linda completely over reacting and being far too hard on him.

Maybe LF could have given us more to go on here but I suspect the difference of opinion on what was going on would still exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that last bit aimed at me >:(:(. :D;-)

Regarding WHATM if it was verbatim conversations then yes there was nothing better and it was often used to settle things but some things are more subtle and are down to interpretation and WHATM didn't necessarily help there.

Even in what we do get to see there are different views on it. EG in the Linda, Jim CBB many see Jim as a total WUM, deliberately winding Linda up and it being a bit sinister whereas others see him as a bit of a joker innocent even and Linda completely over reacting and being far too hard on him.

Maybe LF could have given us more to go on here but I suspect the difference of opinion on what was going on would still exist.

:D:D

Yes to the rest of it you are right I was thinking about the coughing incident I guess where people kept coming back with totally the wrong time line and ignored those who went to the trouble of searching through CH5 clips to show what happened.
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I wasn't aiming it at you patseylimerick made a point in her post that I find generally irritating when people make assumptions about what a person is like because of who they support.

What point?