Options

Is Newsround aimed at "special" children?

rossm2008rossm2008 Posts: 823
Forum Member
✭✭
The way the newsreaders present the news and some of the text messages and e-mails they read indicates the answer to be yes.

Comments

• Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    How do you mean? As far as I can see they present the news in a way which is easy/accesible for kids to understand :) No problem with that :)
  • Options
    DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    IMO it explains the credit crunch the best and that's saying something

Move over Fiona Bruce.....Newsround's here
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rossm2008 wrote: »
    The way the newsreaders present the news and some of the text messages and e-mails they read indicates the answer to be yes.
    Are you outside of the projected age range for this programme by any chance? If so, then perhaps you should have considered that before composing a thread with such a title.
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a special needs child and he enjoys Newsround and your problem with that would be? :confused: :rolleyes:

Newsround is aimed at kids, it gives a good all round knowledge of current affairs in a simple, clear and concise way. If it means that children understand the news and can have opinions then I, for one, applaud the programme.
  • Options
    fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP is referring to the predominant use of black/ethnic presenters and reporters.

Whenever they go to a school they always go to a school with a majority of black/ethnic children

Or if they go to another school, they will single out an ethnic child to ask his /her opinion on the topic of the day.

So even though the OP has been criptic in his post, I agree that newsround over represents the black/ethnic communities but i think it has been toned down a bit recently.

I think Blue Peter / Newsround are two of the remaining half decent shows for kids, and want them to continue, but the BBC moving hiding these shows away is damaging.

BP has gone from 8 million in 1985 to 250,000 in 2010.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »
    The OP is referring to the predominant use of black/ethnic presenters and reporters.

Whenever they go to a school they always go to a school with a majority of black/ethnic children

Or if they go to another school, they will single out an ethnic child to ask his /her opinion on the topic of the day.

So even though the OP has been criptic in his post, I agree that newsround over represents the black/ethnic communities but i think it has been toned down a bit recently.

I think Blue Peter / Newsround are two of the remaining half decent shows for kids, and want them to continue, but the BBC moving hiding these shows away is damaging.

Id noticed the ethnic thing with that show but I noticed that when I was younger, we had one or two black classmates in a school of thousands, on Newsround it always seemed the other way around and on the few occasions I have seen it since I grew up nothing has changed. I would say though that its more a case of lazy production and possibly staying to london centic, They also cover an inordinate ammount of animal news. I saw a link on BBC News for the Newsround site with a story about a cat in a tree? lol

I miss newsround, the world was always so black and white then :D
  • Options
    Andy BAndy B Posts: 15,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rossm2008 wrote: »
    I know what you mean, they seemed to have dumbed down compared to how it was 8 + years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rwCGPv6Mxk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDJR_DqJGAA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r-4P9qjhrk

EDIT: This thread is kinda old lol
  • Options
    WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »

Completely agree, when I used to watch it (more than 5 years ago) it was always a case of spot the White kid when they were interviewing school children. I know that the BBC want to make children aware of minorities from an early age and for people to accept it as normal, and for that they must be applauded, but it was far too obvious. Same with Balamory, and the amount of ethnic children they had on there, really on a Scottish Island qwould it be that full of immigrants or was it a politically correct agenda???
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wryip wrote: »
    Completely agree, when I used to watch it (more than 5 years ago) it was always a case of spot the White kid when they were interviewing school children. I know that the BBC want to make children aware of minorities from an early age and for people to accept it as normal, and for that they must be applauded, but it was far too obvious. Same with Balamory, and the amount of ethnic children they had on there, really on a Scottish Island qwould it be that full of immigrants or was it a politically correct agenda???

Politically correct agenda is my gut instinct. Kids in schools aren't allowed to sing baa baa black sheep any more for a start. In some places it is even considered offensive to ask for a white or a black coffee, you have to ask for coffee with, or without milk.

I am by no means racist, and i agree that kids need to be made aware that there are other races/ethnic groups that live in the world but i can't help but feel they're doing too much out of fear of being accused of not doing enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back John Craven :)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Bring back John Craven :)

Hear hear
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    Politically correct agenda is my gut instinct. Kids in schools aren't allowed to sing baa baa black sheep any more for a start. In some places it is even considered offensive to ask for a white or a black coffee, you have to ask for coffee with, or without milk.

Oh FFS, not the baa baa black sheep thing again. It's cobblers, IT NEVER HAPPENED. It's like the stories about Eurocrats banning bent bananas and councils calling Christmas "Winterval". Its all bo**ocks.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    You wish. :(
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way kids programmes are presented is a reflection of the perception of children's intelligence, by those who produce them. They must think they're dumber than they actually are.

Very much like the way parts "Countryfile" is targeted at adults.

Children should be stretched, not spoon-fed. I guess they aim at what they perceive to be the dumbest child/adult who may be watching.
  • Options
    blimpyboyblimpyboy Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Oh FFS, not the baa baa black sheep thing again. It's cobblers, IT NEVER HAPPENED. It's like the stories about Eurocrats banning bent bananas and councils calling Christmas "Winterval". Its all bo**ocks.

I agree its a load of old bo**ocks but it did happen in some places - http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/article738220.ece
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,414554,00.html
    (note neither from the Daily Mail).

Thankfully though, the local communities protested about how ridiculous it was and it seems to have been short-lived.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blimpyboy wrote: »
    I agree its a load of old bo**ocks but it did happen in some places - http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/article738220.ece
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,414554,00.html
    (note neither from the Daily Mail).

Thankfully though, the local communities protested about how ridiculous it was and it seems to have been short-lived.

No it didn't, at least not in in the way the "PC gone mad" swivel eyed types would have it. Brum had Winterval for about 4 months one year, it was a way of attracting people into the city centre beyond xmas. We still had xmas, the lights, and everything. The baa baa black sheep thing was completely misunderstood.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4782856.stm
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It happened at quite a few schools and nurseries in my are. I have got younger relatives in pre school/infant school and that's what they have to sing.

I also have a friend who works in nurseries.

Just going off my own personal experience here.
  • Options
    blimpyboyblimpyboy Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    No it didn't, at least not in in the way the "PC gone mad" swivel eyed types would have it. [/url]

So it did happen, then. As opposed to your previous post of "IT NEVER HAPPENED" (your caps).

I agree these things are blown out of all proportion by those with their own agenda but they are sometimes based on actual events - as in the case you posted.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    It happened at quite a few schools and nurseries in my are. I have got younger relatives in pre school/infant school and that's what they have to sing.

I also have a friend who works in nurseries.

Just going off my own personal experience here.

What happened if they try to rebel and sing "Baa Baa Black Sheep?"

# Baa Baa Black Sheep... #

Hang on..., who are you? Why are you in my house? Where are you taking me? Help me someone! Call my MP. Help..................
    (screams fade off into the distance)
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Birmingham City Council did have a Winterval thing going on..something to do with business apparently, not the celebration of Christmas, but I do remember it, and the person who proposed it.
  • Options
    TheWayItIsTheWayItIs Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it didn't, at least not in in the way the "PC gone mad" swivel eyed types would have it. Brum had Winterval for about 4 months one year, it was a way of attracting people into the city centre beyond xmas. We still had xmas, the lights, and everything. The baa baa black sheep thing was completely misunderstood.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4782856.stm

Well you know what these loony Lefties are like.
    Dear, oh dear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheWayItIs wrote: »
    Well you know what these loony Lefties are like.
    Dear, oh dear.

They're bloody wishy washy...whatever that is.

I don't see the problem with them deliberately interviewing ethnic minorities sometimes. If you're in a school which is predominantly white and your only 8, what is the problem with showing them Britain is a multicultured place, good a place as any to learn it.

My one complaint (used to watch it before Neighbours, like a lot of people probs...) is they did so many damn animal stories. Every day, an endangered animal, or a panda who won't eat, or a giraffe with a throat infection. And Lizo stalking J.K Rowling all the time.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also remember back in the 80s whenever they went into a school, it was always one that had a higher ethnic attendance than mine (two black children, two Chinese).

I always put this down to them being in London and there being more black people there.

Slightly OT, but at secondary school (late 80s), we had these maths textbooks that would have a described maths problem, and the names of the people were always ethnic in some way, so it'd be like "Satvinder has ten onion bajis and Leroy has twelve..."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    think before you post.
    my brothers got special needs ad they watch it and i watch it with them aswell.
    perhaps i'm a special child??? :rolleyes::confused:
    and no it isnt aimed at special children. it's aimed at people of a certain age range so they can understand. CBBC is for little kids so thats why they talk like that. NOT because it's aimed at special children.
    rant over :D:o:rolleyes::p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CharlieC95 wrote: »
    perhaps i'm a special child???

Are you really asking? Perhaps you have been watching newsround for too long.