Options

Tiredness

lawrenma2lawrenma2 Posts: 4,060
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was at the doc yesterday with stomach complaints, which I suspected was a urine infection, so took a sample with me. The doc said sample was fine and probed around my stomach, but said she couldn't see anything unusual. Actually I suspect she didn't believe me, but she gave me antibiotics and pills to prevent nausea.

Feel a great deal better today, and quite relieved as I was worried it was something more serious but I also keep feeling very tired and have been for a month or so (having to go to bed after work for an hour and sleeping at weekends for an hour each day in the afternoon - I joke that my grandparents don't even do this and stay awake longer than me. I get up at 7.15am on week days and really exhausted by 10pm. Don't think my day is any longer than anyone else or the average person.

I'm off this Thursday, Friday and Monday, having a lot of spare time to myself and all I can think about when I'm tired is how much time I can spend in bed over the long weekend.

I wish I could stay up until at least midnight so I have more social time (or rather Playstation and TV time to myself ;)), and just concerned that I'll always go to bed at 10pm if my body clock is used to this.

So doesn't look like there are any real medical issues, but is there any way you can train yourself to stay awake longer, trick your body into not being tired, or generally just squeeze a few more hours out the day?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I had a similar problem years ago when I used to come back and just feel knocked out for a couple of hours and used to have siestas in the weekends. I finally came out of it and now just make sure I get a good night's sleep and keep myself occupied. I was first told I was depressed and not eating properly or drinking enough, then I was told it was just an annoying thing your body does from time to time. If you're really concerned, go and see your doctor again and explain a little bit more about you're tiredness and when it hits you, then they can suggest things to you, like certain changes you can make so that you don't feel so tired at times. You can also try drinking a couple of caffeinated beverages during the day which will help you wake up a little bit more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    then I was told it was just an annoying thing your body does from time to time.

That's interesting! I'm going to look into that.

"Annoying" is definitely the best term to describe it. I sit in work and think "I'll get a quick Playstation game tonight once the Oh has gone to her bed". Come 10pm, I'm yawning and going to bed before her.

Years ago I would stay up until well past midnight and be fine the next day. I'm only hitting 29 so not exactly old, and as I say, my elderly grandparents in their 80's put me to shame. It can't be right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diet i think is veryimportant. Secondly dont mix up tiredness with boredom.
  • Options
    PawsaPawsa Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    I've been feeling very tired for the last few months, also breathless and dizzy when I over exert myself. I had a blood test which revealed my iron levels are low so I am now taking iron tablets and starting to regain my energy although it can take a few months to return to normal levels. On saying that work colleagues are frequently saying how tired they are, sometimes it's just the time of year and boredom!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The body does get used to daytime naps as well, so when you nap during the day for a couple of days your body learns to need it. It's a very hard cycle to break.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, did the doc say why you were given antibiotics? When the urine sample didn't show up any infection, there would have been no need for them - unless other tests were done that revealed something? Antibiotics themselves can cause fatigue and nausea, so if they're only handed out on a "see how this helps" basis and not strictly needed, they can be doing you more harm than good.
  • Options
    birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would look at your exercise levels and your diet.

A varied diet, fruit, veg, red meat etc and at least a walk a day may work wonders.

It's strange but exercise really does up your energy levels.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    birdsong wrote: »

A varied diet, fruit, veg, red meat etc and at least a walk a day may work wonders.

I very much agree with that. I find that if I don't get some fairly regular exercise (and it doesn't have to be a lot), then I get into a permanently tired, mildly depressed sort of state. However, if I can overcome my natural laziness, then a bit of walking or cycling for half an hour or an hour seems to waken me up and brighten me up too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bubbsy wrote: »
    OP, did the doc say why you were given antibiotics? When the urine sample didn't show up any infection, there would have been no need for them - unless other tests were done that revealed something? Antibiotics themselves can cause fatigue and nausea, so if they're only handed out on a "see how this helps" basis and not strictly needed, they can be doing you more harm than good.

Good question - She confirmed not a urine infection, and said "some sort of infection". I actually think she doesn't believe me and gave me harmless pills to shut me up. I do feel a lot better, but still tired.
    birdsong wrote: »

Ok, I didn't realise that. I'm not fat, but have piled on a bit of a beer belly over the past few years and hardly exercise so will start to do this and hopefully it'll help.

Really appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lawrenma2 wrote: »
    Good question - She confirmed not a urine infection, and said "some sort of infection". I actually think she doesn't believe me and gave me harmless pills to shut me up. I do feel a lot better, but still tired.

Ok, I didn't realise that. I'm not fat, but have piled on a bit of a beer belly over the past few years and hardly exercise so will start to do this and hopefully it'll help.

Really appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks a lot.

Same here, I'm 27 but I have that 'tired' feeling all the time. I thought it was just because I was bored at work (usually I'm so tired in work, particularly after lunch), but I'm off today at got a 2 hour extra lie in and I'm feeling very lethargic again right now. Joining the gym at the end of this month and hoping that helps though.
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The exercise thing really does work. I was constantly tired but started working out. At first I was still tired all the time, and didn't feel like going, but after about a month in, one day I just had loads of energy and it wasn't a chore to get to the gym anymore. Don't expect it to be immediate, also it doesn't matter what size you are skinny people can still be incredibly un-fit, the gym isn't just for weight management.

I am feeling tired again at the moment, but I put that down to the fact I haven't been working out recently due to breaking my foot. But all being well I should be back in the gym next week, and so looking forward to it. I love the buzz you get.

Hope it works for both of you.