Options

Moffatt vs R T Davies

Comments

• Options
    Bob_1971Bob_1971 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Matt Smith = Oops! Mrs! Has anyone seen my camel?

LMAO!!! That's almost a perfect match! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYYo49R_ZS0
  • Options
    Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, he'd never have been that imaginative...

Think you're getting the words "imaginative" and "repetitive" mixed up. Space Whale one story, Space Shark soon after. If you've seen one Moffat episode you've seen them all.
  • Options
    mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Davies, for all his faults, just had a much bigger vision. Moffatt was good as part of the vision, but on his own, is insufficient to maintain Doctor Who.

strangely its possible to like them both without the inane need to try to compare them. Some people just need to get a life.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's teamwork:

RTD and Tennant = stunning
    Moffet and the school boy = A silly children's TV show.

Where has the acting gone? Where is the pathos? Where is the substance that made people care?

Matt Smith = Oops! Mrs! Has anyone seen my camel?

Roll on when we can get an actor back.

Well you, of course, have the right to hold any opinion you like - even if it's a wrong one.

I mean, when did Georgia Moffet start showrunning Doctor Who anyway? :confused:
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Davies, for all his faults, just had a much bigger vision. Moffatt was good as part of the vision, but on his own, is insufficient to maintain Doctor Who.

Mmmm not sure why you feel the need to impose your opinion as fact. Me thinks you are definitely missing the words 'in my opinion' in that!

By the way, in my opinion you are talking christmas baubles ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think you're getting the words "imaginative" and "repetitive" mixed up. Space Whale one story, Space Shark soon after. If you've seen one Moffat episode you've seen them all.

Of course RTD was never repetitive... There is one dalek, there are loads of Daleks, there are 4 Daleks, there are loads of Daleks, there are 4 Daleks, there is one Dalek, there are Loads of Daleks....
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, give it a rest! If you want to talk about people being repetetive, try reading your own endlessly whining posts. If you can't appreciate quality storytelling, that's your problem.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like both Moffat and R T Davies.

Even worse, I like Tennant and Smith.

Do you think I need professional help? Is it schizophrenia? :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aha, what a good idea. Like it all :) How novel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, give it a rest! If you want to talk about people being repetetive, try reading your own endlessly whining posts. If you can't appreciate quality storytelling, that's your problem.

Ooh touchy! Too much to drink last night? I do appreciate quality storytelling and I did appreciate it in the RTD era. Sadly there isn't so much in the Moffat era. And, anyway, don't want to play tit for tat, but if anyone on this forum is repetitive and boring, it's your endless RTD is awful, Moffat is fantastic posts. Most people can see the good and bad in all eras of the show but you just write off 4 years of Who because you've got some childish, pathetic issue with the Head Writer (a good example being you totally ignoring the 2005-9 episodes in the current thread on the Christmas Specials).
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member

it might be, depending on who you want to be!:D

I'm with tho Granny Mac, i like them both. I probably lean more toward SMMS, but that's probably because I was ready for a change!:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    it might be, depending on who you want to be!:D

I'm with tho Granny Mac, i like them both. I probably lean more toward SMMS, but that's probably because I was ready for a change!:)

Leaning one way or the other is fine:)....we are all bound to have a favourites...its impossible not to. My main issue is that some people have to resort to attacking one to defend the other....even when there is no need to. It's possibile to talk about it constructivily like you do.:)
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but he did have a Cyberking as tall as Mount Everest trample over Victorian London. Far worse in my opinion.

and the TARDIS towing the Earth...and everyone chanting 'Doctor' like they wanted to save Tinkerbell...and fat blobs...and farting aliens...and a space pig...

RTD had his 'moments of glory' and fair enough, but he also sometimes wrote himself into a corner and had trouble getting past the 'one bound and they were free' silent movie routine, when more imagination could have come in useful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member

Can I join you on your ward as this is how I feel too. Of course I like Chris E best but why do people have to argue? I don't understand the need for all this venom and as Thumper rabbit would say
    'If you can't say anything nice - don't say anything at all!'
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Tumpy wrote: »
    Can I join you on your ward as this is how I feel too. Of course I like Chris E best but why do people have to argue? I don't understand the need for all this venom and as Thumper rabbit would say
    'If you can't say anything nice - don't say anything at all!'

I like both RTD and the Moff :)

I love Matt Smith and am following the instructions in your final sentence as per Tennant.
  • Options
    Saint_ErrantSaint_Errant Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    I thought RTD was a fantastic showrunner and exec producer but his scripts were awful. Elements such as the Dobby Doctor, Farting Slitheen, dragging the Earth in the TARDIS, over sentimentality, turning good ideas into rubbish (faked regeneration, Next Doctor etc), deux ex machina (press button to fix the problem) endings, Cyberking, felatio off a paving slab, the Absorbaloff etc show what an infantile vision of the programme he had. However when Moff, Cornell etc wrote for the series, you saw how good it really was.
    RTD deserves a lot of credit for bringing the series back but his scripts really are more at home on the Sarah Jane spin off.
    The Moff on the other hand, knows how to script a story, challenging the viewer with an engaging script and story arc, and the recent Xmas episode showed just how to make Who into a family show for all to enjoy rather than bury it in continuity which alienates the casual viewer.
    Since Moff took over the main scriptwriting duties, I feel the programme has finally come back, but while I really didn't enjoy RTD's scripts (apart from Turn Left), I think it would be wrong to not give credit to him where it is due.
    I do get very tired though of those who proclaim him as a modern day Shakespeare as those who do just show themselves to be idiotic and ignorant of the craft of writing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    and the TARDIS towing the Earth...and everyone chanting 'Doctor' like they wanted to save Tinkerbell...and fat blobs...and farting aliens...and a space pig...

RTD had his 'moments of glory' and fair enough, but he also sometimes wrote himself into a corner and had trouble getting past the 'one bound and they were free' silent movie routine, when more imagination could have come in useful.

I have to say that in temrs of bonker ideas...bothe Moff and RTD are the same....whether it be towing the Earth, or singing to the Shark, using the vortex manipulator to escape the futrue kind, to River conveniantly leaving hers behind for the Doctor to escape the Pandorica, from miming through windows to throwing and spitting food, from closing your eyes and walking through big huge fans, to jumpimg through a mirror on a horse, throughthe whole world saying the Doctor's name so he can creat a psychic link, the companion who can remember him back.

Its just sometimes somethings are liked by some and not others....for example I think the idea behid the LOTTL solution and Amy in Big Bang getting the Doctor back are the same, just the latter happend to be better executed, I love the Earth towing scene, but don't like the trap door suddenly appearing in the Forest of the dead...I loved the CyberKing, and I loved the flying Shark

Horses for courses.....
  • Options
    KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talma wrote: »

I agee with people what say the Doctor being renewed in the LOTTL didn't come across that great on screen but storywise it was far from being written into a hole. We'd found out that people in Utopia had comeback to murder their own ancestors in order to extend their own existence and build an empire - as the Master suggested it would "break" the Doctor's hearts because the very species he spends so much time and appears to have so much invested with were capable of such a thing. But with all the people coming together to overcome the Master it showed what they could do - the Doctor pretty much says that. It was the worst aspects of humanity versus the best - it maybe a little cheesy but I think it made sense within the story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh touchy! Too much to drink last night? I do appreciate quality storytelling and I did appreciate it in the RTD era. Sadly there isn't so much in the Moffat era.
    There's plenty, you just don't seem capable of appreciating it. All you seem to want to do is complain about non existent plot flaws in order to justify your dislike for the show's current direction.
    And, anyway, don't want to play tit for tat, but if anyone on this forum is repetitive and boring, it's your endless RTD is awful, Moffat is fantastic posts. Most people can see the good and bad in all eras of the show but you just write off 4 years of Who because you've got some childish, pathetic issue with the Head Writer (a good example being you totally ignoring the 2005-9 episodes in the current thread on the Christmas Specials).

I ignored them because they weren't worth considering. I'd happily forget that whole four year train wreck if only people didn't keep dragging it up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought RTD was a fantastic showrunner and exec producer but his scripts were awful. Elements such as the Dobby Doctor, Farting Slitheen, dragging the Earth in the TARDIS, over sentimentality, turning good ideas into rubbish (faked regeneration, Next Doctor etc), deux ex machina (press button to fix the problem) endings, Cyberking, felatio off a paving slab, the Absorbaloff etc show what an infantile vision of the programme he had. However when Moff, Cornell etc wrote for the series, you saw how good it really was.
    RTD deserves a lot of credit for bringing the series back but his scripts really are more at home on the Sarah Jane spin off.
    The Moff on the other hand, knows how to script a story, challenging the viewer with an engaging script and story arc, and the recent Xmas episode showed just how to make Who into a family show for all to enjoy rather than bury it in continuity which alienates the casual viewer.
    Since Moff took over the main scriptwriting duties, I feel the programme has finally come back, but while I really didn't enjoy RTD's scripts (apart from Turn Left), I think it would be wrong to not give credit to him where it is due.
    I do get very tired though of those who proclaim him as a modern day Shakespeare as those who do just show themselves to be idiotic and ignorant of the craft of writing.

I agree, but I wouldn't say Davies' scripts were more at home on Sarah Janee. He's only written three episodes in four series' so far, and one of those was the pilot, which was utterly atrocious.
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Leaning one way or the other is fine:)....we are all bound to have a favourites...its impossible not to. My main issue is that some people have to resort to attacking one to defend the other....even when there is no need to. It's possibile to talk about it constructivily like you do.:)

Agreed, but some people are just very passionate about who they like and dislike and I also respect that!

Some people hate RTD/DT and are very vocal about that, I don't agree with them but if that is their opinion, I am cool with it! It is also good to have some fun with them like they do with us!

What always puzzles me is why some people really dislike each other on here on the basis of who/what they like or dislike. I like healthy debate, but when some posters go out of their way to make people feel unwelcome or that their views are worthless, I just don't get it!:confused:

We are, after all DW fans and that we why we are on here!:)

Peace and Love etc :D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's plenty, you just don't seem capable of appreciating it. All you seem to want to do is complain about non existent plot flaws in order to justify your dislike for the show's current direction.

I ignored them because they weren't worth considering. I'd happily forget that whole four year train wreck if only people didn't keep dragging it up.

In your second paragraph you are doing far worse than you accuse me of doing in your first paragraph! You ignore 5 years of Who, yet berate me for pointing out plot holes in episodes you do like. The bit in bold can equally apply to you and 2005-9 Who.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do get very tired though of those who proclaim him as a modern day Shakespeare as those who do just show themselves to be idiotic and ignorant of the craft of writing.[/QUOTE]

Think the second sentence in bold is a good response to the first one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, but I wouldn't say Davies' scripts were more at home on Sarah Janee. He's only written three episodes in four series' so far, and one of those was the pilot, which was utterly atrocious.

I thought it was good. Talking of Christmas specials, that's by far the best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Agreed, but some people are just very passionate about who they like and dislike and I also respect that!

Some people hate RTD/DT and are very vocal about that, I don't agree with them but if that is their opinion, I am cool with it! It is also good to have some fun with them like they do with us!

What always puzzles me is why some people really dislike each other on here on the basis of who/what they like or dislike. I like healthy debate, but when some posters go out of their way to make people feel unwelcome or that their views are worthless, I just don't get it!:confused:

We are, after all DW fans and that we why we are on here!:)

Peace and Love etc :D;)

Bloody hippy. You need a good dose of National Service with UNIT, you do.:mad::p