Options

Job Seekers Advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey all

I was let go from my job at the end of August and am finding it impossible to find anything,

I have signed up with agencies, applied for numerous jobs and spent hours scouting the internet for jobs, it's just a nightmare.

To stop myself from going mad I was thinking of doing some voluntary work in the evening ( spend days looking for work) and am going to volunteer with homeless charities and help the elderly.
I was just wondering if anyone else had ideas as to how to search for new jobs and stop me from going mad

Comments

• Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you applied for care work/support worker, even from an agency?

Don't give up, anything can happen round the corner, stay positive. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yellowpark wrote: »
    Have you applied for care work/support worker, even from an agency?

Don't give up, anything can happen round the corner, stay positive. :)

Not yet because I don't have qualifications in that area, so I was thinking the volunteering work may help me.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Consider doing an evening class for an NVQ or similar, I believe that if you are on JSA they will be free ~ I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Through the job centre you are able to get on to various college courses, leading to NVQ's or equivalents. But if you're not with the job centre though, and have no immediate need to sign on then I'd avoid it at all costs - the cons outweigh the pros significantly, and will drive you mad that way.

Voluntary work is a brilliant way to go, especially in the earlier days of unemployment. It'll give you something to do, can lead to relevant references and often gets your foot in the door so to speak. There are often voluntary listings put on the job hunting sites...Indeed is often good for it, as are local newspapers and their corresponding websites.
    It could come down to actually venturing out and asking about, or looking for 'Help wanted' signs.

I'd probably suggest that voluntary work would be more beneficial than a course - so many people have completed these courses now through unemployment that everyone ranks the same. You stand more chance of getting noticed if you've put yourself out there for some voluntary work and have an individual experience you'd potentially be able to talk about in future interviews. All the best :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im based in Ireland so we do get free courses but you have to be on dole for a certain amount of time. I think for now voluntary work is way forward - it will get me out of the house and out of trouble ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fair enough, I hope you find something.

I've done a little bit of voluntary work here and there myself, and it's done me a lot more good than anything else ever has while I've been unemployed. You can always balance things by having a few days indoors a week (I do, when the weathers on the turn) and searching for roles online and then spending other days just looking about for a couple of hours to see if there's any volunteers wanted.

It's a great routine to be in, and a great way to stay sane :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough, I hope you find something.

I've done a little bit of voluntary work here and there myself, and it's done me a lot more good than anything else ever has while I've been unemployed. You can always balance things by having a few days indoors a week (I do, when the weathers on the turn) and searching for roles online and then spending other days just looking about for a couple of hours to see if there's any volunteers wanted.

It's a great routine to be in, and a great way to stay sane :p

thanks a million xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IrishChick wrote: »
    Not yet because I don't have qualifications in that area, so I was thinking the volunteering work may help me.

You don't need qualifications to get a care job, but you need to show a willingness learn, reliable, flexible, understand human condition, cook and clean, read and wright, not be racist, bigot and a clear CRB check.
  • Options
    liblobliblob Posts: 21,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it is the same in Ireland as here but I got a job as a Health Care Assistant in a hospital without any experience or qualifications. They put me on a VQ/Diploma course once I had started work. I am based in theatres but it is the same for wards and outpatient departments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need qualifications to get a care job, but you need to show a willingness learn, reliable, flexible, understand human condition, cook and clean, read and wright, not be racist, bigot and a clear CRB check.

Cool I must look it up tomorrow thanks :) I always thought I needed to be someway medically trained cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    liblob wrote: »
    I don't know if it is the same in Ireland as here but I got a job as a Health Care Assistant in a hospital without any experience or qualifications. They put me on a VQ/Diploma course once I had started work. I am based in theatres but it is the same for wards and outpatient departments.

Was this compulsory?
  • Options
    liblobliblob Posts: 21,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was this compulsory?
    Yes it was. You agree to doing it when you take the job. Pain in the arse it is as well.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a question: Do we *HAVE* to sign on?

I use the word we for all people currently unemployed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »
    Here's a question: Do we *HAVE* to sign on?

I use the word we for all people currently unemployed.

There's no legal obligation to sign on, no. If you're financially stable, or have enough savings then you don't have to, and in some instances can't (when you have a certain number of thousands tucked away in the bank) :)
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    In addition to the standard job advice here http://career-advice.monster.co.uk/?HPS=4_5C3ViewAllAdvice, another thing to try is sending out speculative applications to employers - see http://careers.theguardian.com/speculative-applications - and that's how I got one of my main jobs. I'd also ask friends, family and acquaintances to keep a look out for you. Good luck! :)

Links:
    http://www.volunteer.ie/
    http://www.dublin.ie/disp_list.aspx?catid=46
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no legal obligation to sign on, no. If you're financially stable, or have enough savings then you don't have to, and in some instances can't (when you have a certain number of thousands tucked away in the bank) :)

The amount of savings you have doesn't matter for Contributions based JSA. It isn't means tested. You receive that for a maximum of six months.

Even if you have more than £16,000 in savings and investments, you can still sign on and receive National Insurance credits after your first six months on Contributions Based JSA. You don't receive any allowance, though, and don't qualify for free prescriptions etc., either.