No TV picture via HDMI

DickyTickerDickyTicker Posts: 137
Forum Member
When I switched on the TV I got a blue/grey screen with the HDMI banner but no TV picture. "Home", "My Shows", etc all appeared as normal but again when a show was selected no picture.
After the usual switching on and off, checking all the connections, I found I could watch TV via the scart set up. I guessed that the fault must lie with the box or HDMI lead so I changed the lead to no effect.
A technician is booked for tomorrow and my question here is, if a replacement box is needed will I loose my recordings or can they be copied over to the new box.

Comments

• carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,687
    Forum Member
    Your recordings will be lost but I believe that Series Links are (or can be) backed up. Just can't remember how. Sorry :(
  • DickyTickerDickyTicker Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    The technician's diagnoses is that the Tivo box has now decided that the TV is a recording device and for that reason it does not transmit a picture. He suggested that this might be due to an update to the box with no reason given why it should suddenly choose my not smart TV.
    His only remedy was to offer a new box but no guarantee this would overcome the problem.
    I'm at a bit of a loss what to do next.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The technician's diagnoses is that the Tivo box has now decided that the TV is a recording device and for that reason it does not transmit a picture. He suggested that this might be due to an update to the box with no reason given why it should suddenly choose my not smart TV.
    His only remedy was to offer a new box but no guarantee this would overcome the problem.
    I'm at a bit of a loss what to do next.

Get a replacement box that is been offered ?
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,687
    Forum Member
    Not worth losing the recordings if it won't fix the issue.
    Forum Member
    The Tivo box was changed today from a Ciso? to a Samsung but unfortunately it did not help. Both technicians that visited tried their best but are at a loss.
    They are both convinced that the fault lies somewhere within Tivo and agreed that it's not the TV.
    Today's tech said he would be contacting a colleague in London who is their Tivo expert for advice. I'll post back when there is anything further.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    The Tivo box was changed today from a Ciso? to a Samsung but unfortunately it did not help. Both technicians that visited tried their best but are at a loss.
    They are both convinced that the fault lies somewhere within Tivo and agreed that it's not the TV.
    Today's tech said he would be contacting a colleague in London who is their Tivo expert for advice. I'll post back when there is anything further.

As they have tried two TiVo's, it's almost certainly a faulty TV set - have you tried a different TV?.

As in any 'fault finding' you need to eliminate things, you've eliminated the TiVo and HDMI lead, so only the TV is left (and was probably the most likely fault in the first place).

Presumably the VM guys didn't have another TV to try?.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HAve you set the source to HDMI 1? If it works on scart, then it's the settings on the tv!
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Has anyone thought to turn off HDMI CEC?

What the technician may be saying is true. if CEC is messing up the HDCP then yes TiVo will see it as a recorder and effectively blank the video to stop you recording onto say a blue ray device.

Insert Tivo into HDMI1, not fixed? then....
    Turn off CEC (sometimes called bravia link, regaza link etc) not fixed? then......
    try HDMI2/3/4 etc. Not fixed? Then......
    Look for a software update for the TV / turn off anything to do with mirrorlink (android HDMI screen thing) not fixed? then it is either a duff Tivo software or duff TV.
    Forum Member
    I'm embarrassed tell you that the problem is now sorted in the most simple way possible. I turn this TV off via its remote as the on/off button is at the back of the set. Sitting contemplating and going over all that had been done and tried I realised that the TV had never been turned off at the mains. When I had tried another TV it was plugged into a different socket.
    So I turned if off for half a minute and back on again and Bingo, a picture appeared on the HDMI setting.
    I'm surprise that neither VM guys suggested that but I suppose they assumed it had been done by me. (Wee smiley here but don't know how to do it). No complaints about them, they both spent time and did their best.