Drink driving campaign

BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK, so I'm a simple soul, but to my mind the best and simplest way of reducing the number of drink drivers is for the police to wait outside the pub at about 11.30-11.45pm, then go up to anyone getting into the driving seat of a car and tell them you have reason to believe they've been drinking and would you breathe into this, please ? Especially if they seem to be having trouble opening the door. :rolleyes:

If the person truly has been on orange juice all night, no probs. If not, one less moron on the roads.

Comments

• Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're going to need an awful lot of Police Officers to wait outside every pub.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    What gets me is why they only target drink driving at Christmas, its not as though it is the only time of year that people do drink and drive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Outrunner wrote:
    What gets me is why they only target drink driving at Christmas, its not as though it is the only time of year that people do drink and drive.

It's not forgotten the rest of the year, it's just that a more high profile approach is taken. There have been similar mid summer campaigns in the past.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Outrunner wrote:

This campaingn really makes me angry, as to me it always implies drink-driving is only a problem at Christmas!

Statistically more people are involved in drink-related accidents in August than in December, but you never see such an over-the-top "high-profile" campaign in August do you?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bellagio wrote:
    OK, so I'm a simple soul, but to my mind the best and simplest way of reducing the number of drink drivers is for the police to wait outside the pub at about 11.30-11.45pm, then go up to anyone getting into the driving seat of a car and tell them you have reason to believe they've been drinking and would you breathe into this, please ? Especially if they seem to be having trouble opening the door. :rolleyes:

If the person truly has been on orange juice all night, no probs. If not, one less moron on the roads.

How long after the Christmas drink-drive campaign starts will the first off-duty police officer be caught driving under the influence???
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have Booze Buses here? I've never seen one. They set up by the side of a busy road and breathalise everyone as they drive past.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they do advertise through the year but at Xmas people often overlook certain factors, they may only have one drink but they might of also consumed foods laced with alcohol, Xmas pudding, trifle etc these things as well as the drink can put you over the limit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote:
    Do you have Booze Buses here? I've never seen one. They set up by the side of a busy road and breathalise everyone as they drive past.
    I know technologies good nowdays, but a bus that breathalyzes :eek: :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote:

We do have police cars that set up by the side of the road and stop passing cars, I've certainly seen it happen on busy roads out of the larger towns.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    julesT wrote:
    I know technologies good nowdays, but a bus that breathalyzes :eek: :D

The bloody cops do the breathalysing. :p
  • CHUTNEYCHUTNEY Posts: 16,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote:
    The bloody cops do the breathalysing. :p

Not the kangaroos I was thinking of then. :p:o

Do you find the attitude to drink here immature Pam? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would help if the public could buy their own mini breathalysers, that way people could check themselves before driving (I'm thinking mainly of the people who get caught after one pint, or the morning after drinking).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    julesT wrote:
    they do advertise through the year but at Xmas people often overlook certain factors, they may only have one drink but they might of also consumed foods laced with alcohol, Xmas pudding, trifle etc these things as well as the drink can put you over the limit.

More people die in the summer months after a few drinks at a country pub etc, it is very much a year round problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haven't they created an invention where you can breathe into a breathalyser and if your over the limit your car becomes immobile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    julesT wrote:
    haven't they created an invention where you can breathe into a breathalyser and if your over the limit your car becomes immobile.

I heard that mentioned somewhere too. However, there's nothing to stop you asking your passenger/handy passerby to blow into it for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Purity wrote:
    I heard that mentioned somewhere too. However, there's nothing to stop you asking your passenger/handy passerby to blow into it for you.
    If that's the case and I had a female passenger, i'd ask "whilst your at it" :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    julesT wrote:
    If that's the case and I had a female passenger, i'd ask "whilst your at it" :p

:D That's also corrected my assumption that you were female then!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CHUTNEY wrote:
    Not the kangaroos I was thinking of then. :p:o

Do you find the attitude to drink here immature Pam? :confused:

We like a drink in Australia and some states do have more relaxed licensing laws than you do over here. But we don't get the binge drinking culture that the UK does. We don't do that rush to get drunk by closing time which seems to happen here.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grassed someone up to the local plod a few weeks ago (a real prolific offender). I've not heard that they've been stopped yet. I hope they do though :mad:
  • biggeralbiggeral Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VERENCE wrote:
    How long after the Christmas drink-drive campaign starts will the first off-duty police officer be caught driving under the influence???
    He would probably say he was just testing how drinking affected your driving and, being a policeman, would probably get off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biggeral wrote:
    He would probably say he was just testing how drinking affected your driving and, being a policeman, would probably get off.

Hence his need to travel at 150mph 'for test purposes.' ;) :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This campaingn really makes me angry, as to me it always implies drink-driving is only a problem at Christmas!

Statistically more people are involved in drink-related accidents in August than in December, but you never see such an over-the-top "high-profile" campaign in August do you?

There have been summer campaigns, but Xmas is an especially good time to do it.

You cant have year long publicity campaigns, or no one would notice them.

The reality is that the Police do actually deal with drink driving all year round, it just becomes more high profile at Xmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I think it should be that if you are driving then you shouldnt drink at all, that way theres no confusion on how much you can drink.