Simple home networking question

MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi everyone,

Just a little bit of advice needed.
I have a Sony Blu-Ray player which is internet connectible via ethernet cable only. I now have it set up in a room away from the router which sits in another room.

What is the easiest and cheapest way of getting the internet to the player. I guess I need to buy some kind of wireless access point and then take an ethernet out of there to plug into the player?

Cheers!

Comments

• JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    The cheapest way is to purchase a long cat5e cable. You would be surprised how easy it is to hide and will give by far the best possible performance :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Direct wired connection is best option.

If wired not possible you could use a cheap wireless client/bridge.
    I have a Sony Bluray in a remote room and use the Tp-link WN702N setup in "wireless client" mode to get internet connection :

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/cable-wireless-routers/tp-link-tl-wr702n-n150-wireless-cable-router-16842030-pdt.html?srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~Idealo~Comparison%20Engine~~&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=ariiwwlp&istBid=t&istAffiliateCompanyId=9397fa7c-cc6b-4b43-abe5-5b6d9569941d&istAffiliateCode=&clickref=3106457&awc=1599_1405070715_ad9de7db9053697116dd247855e351ab

The power connector for it goes either to a USB port on the Bluray or a seperate adapter.
    I would check the wireless signal strength in the player's location with another device first before buying anything.
  • JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Homeplugs - very, very easy.
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your advice! :)

I'm not convinced the wireless strength is all that strong, as the Sky Wireless connector we have is a bit temperamental. It seems the best option is to use a homeplug, and then split the ethernet to both the Blu-Ray and Sky box for optimum set up.

Cheers! I've just purchased the TP Link homeplug.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mikay wrote: »
    and then split the ethernet to both the Blu-Ray and Sky box for optimum set up.

I'd be genuinely interested to hear how you intend to do that.

Ages ago (before my current set up which has my router next to my TV boxes for direct connection) I tried a Belkin wireless gaming adapter which has one Ethernet output, then fed that into a 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch hoping to split the ethernet that way. However, that didn't work, as it only connected one box at a time. I'd be interested if any ethernet guru can explain why that didn't work.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Until recently I had an ethernet connection from a homeplug into my AV amp which has a 4 way ethernet switch built in - all 4 devices connected at the same time with no problem.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »

Ages ago (before my current set up which has my router next to my TV boxes for direct connection) I tried a Belkin wireless gaming adapter which has one Ethernet output, then fed that into a 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch hoping to split the ethernet that way. However, that didn't work, as it only connected one box at a time. I'd be interested if any ethernet guru can explain why that didn't work.

I've had similar issues in trying to put a second wireless router upstairs. I *think* it's because the main router doesn't see the homeplug as a simple passthrough, but as a device with an IP and MAC address. You can't then connect two devices to it, and certainly my router was recognised but couldn't then resend the signal.

The easiest (and by far the cheapest) thing in the end was to drop a long ethernet cable down the outside of the house.

You can, however, get homeplugs that have multiple ethernet ports, or one port with a wireless access point built in too.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    I've had similar issues in trying to put a second wireless router upstairs. I *think* it's because the main router doesn't see the homeplug as a simple passthrough, but as a device with an IP and MAC address.

I think the main router was seeing the second router as a device with an ip. 2 routers with 2 DHCPs can cause problems. I have a homeplug pair connecting lounge to bedroom via the mains. I have a switch in the bedroom feeding 2 pcs (simultaneously). The combined speed of 2 pcs down the homeplug is less than just one (65Mbps vs 2 * 18 Mbps) but I can live with that. AFAIK homeplugs don't have an ip, but just work like a cat5.
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »

I was looking at this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SF1005D-100Mbps-Unmanaged-Desktop/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405106822&sr=8-1

I could be getting the wrong end of the stick about what it does, but by the reviews it seems people used it in the way that I want.

To clarify, I wouldn't necessarily want both connections running at the same time (I will be using either my Sky box or my Blu-Ray player at any one time)
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikay wrote: »
    I was looking at this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SF1005D-100Mbps-Unmanaged-Desktop/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405106822&sr=8-1

I could be getting the wrong end of the stick about what it does, but by the reviews it seems people used it in the way that I want.
    That's exactly what you need, once you've decided on how to get a connection to beside your TV.

If we assume HomePlugs, then it's:
    Router<----->HomePlug 1

Homeplug 2 <------> Switch<------> Sky+HD
                         |<------>Blu-ray

In other words, three cables from the switch - one into a Homeplug, one into Sky+HD and one into the Blu-ray player.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a 4 port powerline adaptor to feed the PC, Sky and Blu ray player, works really well and no switch required.

Something like this 3 port fo £25 would do the job and use 1 power socket:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA2030KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B00FEDTWJI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1405154170&sr=8-6&keywords=2+port+powerline+adapter
    Forum Member
    All you have to do is connect the router to a homeplug, then plug in as many homeplugs as you want, each connected to one of your devices. You don't need ethernet switches, bridges or anything else.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamesE wrote: »
    All you have to do is connect the router to a homeplug, then plug in as many homeplugs as you want, each connected to one of your devices. You don't need ethernet switches, bridges or anything else.

If all the remote devices are side by side it is far easier to use one pair of homeplugs and a simple network switch than try and plug a load of homeplugs in at the remote location. Or use a homeplug with built in switch as linked to by Orbitalzone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    I think the main router was seeing the second router as a device with an ip. 2 routers with 2 DHCPs can cause problems. I have a homeplug pair connecting lounge to bedroom via the mains. I have a switch in the bedroom feeding 2 pcs (simultaneously). The combined speed of 2 pcs down the homeplug is less than just one (65Mbps vs 2 * 18 Mbps) but I can live with that. AFAIK homeplugs don't have an ip, but just work like a cat5.

No, the second router was configured to use the other as DHCP server, and wiring it directly into the first router worked fine (in fact, that's how it's working right now but with a really long cable). So the Homeplug was most certainly NOT just acting as passthrough.

Also, the primary router shows a connection table, and with the Homeplug connected but nothing plugged it was allocated an IP and had a specific MAC address which didn't belong to the router or change when the router was connected via the Homeplug.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @!!11oneone - I guess my homeplugs must be different to yours. I just looked at my BT homehub page and it's only showing 6 connections ie 4 pcs in this room and 2 in next room via homeplug (big render job in progress). No extra ips. Maybe some homeplugs have an ip so you can do admin stuff. BTW I use static addresses not DHCP, but that shouldn't make a difference.

see pic - the 2 pcs highlighted are on the switch + homeplug
    http://s17.postimg.org/8kmtf02zj/homeplug.jpg

24C/48T
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd because that's what I assumed would happen. When other devices were connected, say my laptop, the admin page would show two IP devices connected via that port and my laptop would be online, so I suspect they were working as some sort of router in themselves. But they wouldn't defer to a router plugged into them.
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If all the remote devices are side by side it is far easier to use one pair of homeplugs and a simple network switch than try and plug a load of homeplugs in at the remote location. Or use a homeplug with built in switch as linked to by Orbitalzone.

Yes, agreed, I was assuming the sources were all spread about. I do use a 3 x ethernet port one myself.