P.i.p

stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was sent a letter by Capita
saying they were ask by DWP to do a face to face consultation concerning my claim. Then on Monday I got a phone call from them saying that they had got all the information they needed and won't be needing the face to face consultation. I'm I being silly in believing that they think I qualify for the payment?

Comments

• PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats P.I.P ?
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    What they are saying is they have enough information, to write a report out and send it to the DWP to make a decision on your claim for PIP, so a face to face assessment is not needed
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,581
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Whats P.I.P ?

It is the replacement benefit for disabled people
    The payment used to be called DLA(Disability Living Allowance) which is being replaced with PIP which stands for Personal Independence Plan (or something similar)
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    What they are saying is they have enough information, to write a report out and send it to the DWP to make a decision on your claim for PIP, so a face to face assessment is not needed

I can understand someone feeling worried, though, that it might mean their claim's been dismissed.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    I can understand someone feeling worried, though, that it might mean their claim's been dismissed.

Could be, but more likely they are just trying to do more paper based assessments to try to cut the waiting list down, as their is such a back log for face to face assessments,
  • spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Could be, but more likely they are just trying to do more paper based assessments to try to cut the waiting list down, as their is such a back log for face to face assessments,

My son who's Autistic didn't have an assessment...the decision was just based on paperwork. Don't give up hope OP!
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    stairway wrote: »
    saying they were ask by DWP to do a face to face consultation concerning my claim. Then on Monday I got a phone call from them saying that they had got all the information they needed and won't be needing the face to face consultation. I'm I being silly in believing that they think I qualify for the payment?

I would say that this is probably a positive move, although it will depend on how much medical evidence you have provided. I went through Capita and it was done without the need for a face to face (I provided 10 different sources of medical evidence so it was obvious that I met the criteria) and therefore it would have been an obvious waste of time and money to have a face to face. I hope that you hear soon as I understand how stressful it can be waiting for a decision.
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anythings possible, perhaps the documentation they have provided a strong case for your support needs, heres hoping things go well for you

Out of curiousity how long did you have to wait for a response?

I know of somebody who only after almost a year got a response for their application, they were summoned to a medical and now have to wait 2 more months (they are treading a fine line between significant mobility issues and becoming wheelchair bound, its progressive) for a final decision
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technically I'm eligible for PIP, but as it would require me to go through the rigmarole and stress of medical assessments again I haven't bothered with it. I already had to struggle to get the benefits I'm eligible for and I daren't risk losing them again. I wish you luck.
    Forum Member
    I would say that this is probably a positive move, although it will depend on how much medical evidence you have provided. I went through Capita and it was done without the need for a face to face (I provided 10 different sources of medical evidence so it was obvious that I met the criteria) and therefore it would have been an obvious waste of time and money to have a face to face. I hope that you hear soon as I understand how stressful it can be waiting for a decision.

Is PIP structured in the same way as DLA? With a care component and a mobility component
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Is PIP structured in the same way as DLA? With a care component and a mobility component

Under PIP there is still a Mobility component which is awarded at either the standard rate of £21.55 pw or the enhanced rate of £56.75 (ie the same rates as the lower and higher rate Mobility components of DLA).

The other component of PIP is called the Daily Living component (as opposed to the care component of DLA). Under the care component of DLA there are 3 rates (Lowest - £21.55 pw, Middle - £54.55 pw and Highest - £81.30 pw). Under the Daily Living component of PIP there are only 2 rates....Standard - £54.55 pw and Enhanced - £81.30 pw).

The other main difference is that under DLA it was possible to get an indefinite award. Under PIP the maximum award is 10 years (before you are reassessed).

The PIP descriptors can be read via the link below so that you can get some idea of whether you qualify before putting in a claim:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/benefits_w/benefits_sick_or_disabled_people_and_carers_ew/benefits_personal_independence_payment_e/benefits_the_pip_assessment_e/pip_activities_descriptors_and_points.htm

For each component you need 8 points to get a standard award and 12 for an enhanced award.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Richievilla That is very helpful
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Whats P.I.P ?

Feature on some tellys, picture in picture.

:)
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or a mistype when posting in a death thread :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bits in bold:
    It's always worth asking for written confirmation of any call that may be important.
    Please don't worry, but the answer as written in your post is ambiguous.Without knowing exactly what was said, it is possible they meant exactly the opposite - ie they think you don't qualify on the information they have, and therefore don't need the interview.
    I'd contact Capita and ask them to clarify. That way, if there's a problem you may be able to head it off.

Fingers crossed.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    Technically I'm eligible for PIP, but as it would require me to go through the rigmarole and stress of medical assessments again I haven't bothered with it. I already had to struggle to get the benefits I'm eligible for and I daren't risk losing them again. I wish you luck.

I'd go for it. Even if you got knocked back, it shouldn't affect any existing benefits.

If you get the daily living component, it can add £61.10 a week to your means-tested benefits, if you live alone and no-one gets carer's allowance for looking after you. Standard DLC + the premium is £115 a week - well worth the hassle imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clients of mine who haven't had to attend the medical have always got some sort of award, but not always what I think they should get.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bits in bold:
    It's always worth asking for written confirmation of any call that may be important.
    Please don't worry, but the answer as written in your post is ambiguous.Without knowing exactly what was said, it is possible they meant exactly the opposite - ie they think you don't qualify on the information they have, and therefore don't need the interview.
    I'd contact Capita and ask them to clarify. That way, if there's a problem you may be able to head it off.

Fingers crossed.

^^^^ Good catch sir ^^^^

As Dave says, OP, get the clarification. The good news is that if you DO qualify, then without a face-to-face assessment you've shaved a good percentage off length of time you'll wait for payment. I applied February, assessment end of July, assessment sent to Capita's in house auditors to make sure process had been followed, received by DWP beginning of this month, decision *should* be reached in next two weeks. Apparently.

You will bypass a lot of that process obviously - good luck!
  • stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nobodyhere wrote: »
    Anythings possible, perhaps the documentation they have provided a strong case for your support needs, heres hoping things go well for you

Out of curiousity how long did you have to wait for a response?

I know of somebody who only after almost a year got a response for their application, they were summoned to a medical and now have to wait 2 more months (they are treading a fine line between significant mobility issues and becoming wheelchair bound, its progressive) for a final decision

I applied on 30th April.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Whats P.I.P ?

Some sort of insurance plan I think. I keep getting phone calls from people expecting me to claim it back, but I've no idea what they're wittering on about.
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    I'd go for it. Even if you got knocked back, it shouldn't affect any existing benefits.

If you get the daily living component, it can add £61.10 a week to your means-tested benefits, if you live alone and no-one gets carer's allowance for looking after you. Standard DLC + the premium is £115 a week - well worth the hassle imo.

As I understand it, I'd have to have another medical. I'm fine with that in principle, but last time I had a medical the ATOS nurse filled the report with BS. I lost my ESA and for months I had to go through a stressful appeals process which affected my health. I'm really nervous about the possibility of going through that again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    I applied February, assessment end of July, assessment sent to Capita's in house auditors to make sure process had been followed, received by DWP beginning of this month, decision *should* be reached in next two weeks. Apparently.

That's quick - under a year!

Where I live, people are regularly waiting a year for a medical, then 2 months for decision.

Arrears payments are running into thousands.
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »

It shouldn't affect whatever else you have coming in, like CTB and HB its universal (claimed by people irrespective of employment status providing certain criteria is met)
    Theres the chance you may have to attend a medical for it and wait a while but thats it

If your unsure about the application process contact your local CAB
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently had to go to a industrial injuries assessment.
    I was told that if its less than 6 months since Atos see you they can "reuse" the outcome and cross match between the various benefits.
    Sadly it was 8 months since my Pip, so I had to attend.

Shaddler I would apply if you feel you qualify. I got refused for Dla, but Pip actually was better for me. I get enhanced living and standard mobility. For once the change of rules seemed to go in my favour.
    Edit: make sure you get all assessments recorded, then they can't lie. I failed my first esa, got it back at tribunal and now am in the support group. All because I made sure it was recorded (first time I didn't and the lies on report was awful) My health hasn't changed in the 3 years since I lost my job due to ill health, I just made sure I was assessed properly.

Sadly I don't know the outcome for my Iidb yet, I am fearing I shall lose it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    i was refused pip and subsequently asked for reconsideration, again refused so i have appealed and theyve contacted me and said theyve reconsidered and will offer me standard rates( without appeal going ahead) or i can continue with appeal and try for higher rates, has anyone done this ...what was outcome ? thanks