Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its the 22nd, that tweet is from yesterday so I'll chance my arm and say no.
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Its the 22nd, that tweet is from yesterday so I'll chance my arm and say no.

Ah missed that bit :(
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    You can't lose ability. He would often make the same runs he made at Liverpool when at Chelsea but gave up often after a few as Chelsea played a shorter game. He may have lost a little pace but he's still fast enough. Being stuck out wide didn't help his cause and he may well be mentally shot beyond repair - but I still think there's a recoverable striker in there if he sorts his head out. Obviously there are far better options out there for us but I still find his demise intriguing as I don't think most of it is down to anything physical. It's like a football version of dartitis.

Plenty of other strikers seemed to do just fine at Chelsea. Drogba, Sturridge, Costa. Torres though a complete failure as he just doesn't have it anymore. His struggled at Milan which is no surprise. His shot and the best place for him is somewhere like the MLS. Torres at the top level of European football is a spent force and has been for 3 years at least.

It amazes me that people still talk about Torres. Signing him would be the equivalent of signing Ronaldinho. Actually given a choice I would take Ronaldinho over Torres. That's how bad he is.
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    Sad news for big Sammi down at Brighton. I don't quite understand why it's went so wrong for them down there. Maybe that team had reached it's peak and was always going to go backwards a little for a season or so.

He could still come back into our defence any time he wants : / .
    Yes such a shame for Sami that things havent turned out too well so far in his short managerial career.
    On the plus side for an ex Red - Rafa won the Italian super cup for the 2nd successive season with Napoli - well done Rafa ;-)
    TheSloth wrote: »
    He lost or was caught in possession on numerous occasions. He got in good areas and didn't make the best use ofhat i. Pressing and hard work is not all he should be judged on. He's been one of our bert players lately but I thought he was poor on Sunday.
    Harsh. I thought he did very well overall, voted in top 3 on twitter poll too so I'd say you are in the minority with what you saw Sloth. Seem to be dwelling on a few negatives rather than the many positives. Broke up play well, lots of interceptions, tackles, passed the ball well, endevoured to get back when he did lose possession. Found space to get two shots off, 1 going only narrowly wide. Far more positives to his performance than negatives I'd say.
    I don't really think it as a game where any player deserved criticism really, well perhaps Borini maybe, a marked improvement on the season up to this past week.
    Hopefully onwards and upwards from here, the usual "winnable games" coming up.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Feel happier now than at any stage of the season so far - and that has now lasted 3 games - we played well yesterday and were unlucky not to win, I enjoyed the performance especially attacking aspects of it as we looked like scoring throughout. I feel BR has hit on a good formation almost by chance and I'd probably see yesterdays starting eleven and formation as the best available which rather simplistically put includes 3 CBs, no traditional FBs, 2 DMs, enough flair players up front for us to stand a chance of scoring but no traditional striker.

Observations
    Hendos role worries me as he is not really playing to his strengths - either Flanno or Glen could come back in there when they are fit
    When Sturridge is fit he comes in and Sterling plays wide - leave out Lallana or |Markovic (shame as both are playing well) or maybe Coutinho and play Lallana more central,
    Defensive organisation and ability of defenders to win their individual battles is still a worry
    Not convinced by Jones but still support his inclusion over Mignolet - must get new keeper in the window
    If we ever need to field another striker whilst Sturridge is injured I favour Borini over the other 2 alternatives. In his short time on the pitch yesterday he had 2 shots on target and looked lively - more than Lambert and Balotelli ever are - altho of course he deserved the red.

Did anyone listen to a good fans forum discussion on 5Live yesterday afternoon before our match with panellists including Tony Barrett, reps from the Anfield Rap and others? - very interesting and insightful debate
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    I think we'd end up a laughing stock if we took Torres back. Injures took their toll on him and he never fully recovered his game; then Chelsea destroyed any confidence he had left. Somehow he got £200k a week and CL winners medal out of it though, so who's the laughing stock. It's a rumour I don't take seriously, but then again I'm the one who scoffed at the Balotelli rumours during the WC.

Mancini has been making compliments as regards Lucas, whether that materialises into something more serious we'll have to wait and see. Although that could be one reason for us looking at Delph.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feel happier now than at any stage of the season so far - and that has now lasted 3 games - we played well yesterday and were unlucky not to win, I enjoyed the performance especially attacking aspects of it as we looked like scoring throughout. I feel BR has hit on a good formation almost by chance and I'd probably see yesterdays starting eleven and formation as the best available with rather simplistically put it includes 3 CBs, no traditional FBs, 2 DMs, enough flair players up front for us to stand a chance of scoring but no traditional striker.

Observations
    Hendos role worries me as he is not really playing to his strengths - either Flanno or Glen could come back in there when they are fit
    When Sturridge is fit he comes in and Sterling plays wide - leave out Lallana or |Markovic (shame as both are playing well) or maybe Coutinho and play Lallana more central,
    Defensive organisation and ability of defenders to win their individual battles is still a worry
    Not convinced by Jones but still support his inclusion over Mignolet - must get new keeper in the window
    If we ever need to field another striker whilst Sturridge is injured I favour Borini over the other 2 alternatives. In his short time on the pitch yesterday he had 2 shots on target and looked lively - more than Lambert and Balotelli ever are - altho of course he deserved the red.

Did anyone listen to a good fans forum discussion on 5Live yesterday afternoon before our match with panellists including Tony Barrett, reps from the Anfield Rap and others? - very interesting and insightful debate
    I'd largely agree with your observations.
    A keeper is certainly required. Mignolet needed time out for me, although the timing of it, pre Man Utd seemed a bit strange as I feel it may always have been setting Brad up for a fall, so it proved with conseeding 3. So sadly the keeping issue is still unresolved as I wouldn't say Brad has fully taken the chance given to him, conseeding six in 3 games!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we'd end up a laughing stock if we took Torres back. Injures took their toll on him and he never fully recovered his game; then Chelsea destroyed any confidence he had left. Somehow he got £200k a week and CL winners medal out of it though, so who's the laughing stock. It's a rumour I don't take seriously, but then again I'm the one who scoffed at the Balotelli rumours during the WC.

Mancini has been making compliments as regards Lucas, whether that materialises into something more serious we'll have to wait and see. Although that could be one reason for us looking at Delph.

I dont think getting him on a free and no doubt reduced wages when we sold him for 50M would make us a laughing stock to be fair.

Seeing newspaper reports saying Delph to be the new Gerrard make me wince!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Malbren wrote: »
    I dont think getting him on a free and no doubt reduced wages when we sold him for 50M would make us a laughing stock to be fair.

Seeing newspaper reports saying Delph to be the new Gerrard make me wince!

We need a player we can rely on to get a few goals though. I don't see that in FT any more
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need a player we can rely on to get a few goals though. I don't see that in FT any more

Maybe so, that may be the case. I was more pointing out all things considered it wouldn't make us the laughing stock though. We'd have done pretty well out of Torres.
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Torres had never played for us I doubt anybody would even entertain getting him to the club. Well past his best and would be a ridiculous transfer even by our standards.
  • Options
    Michael_VaughanMichael_Vaughan Posts: 12,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malbren wrote: »
    Yes such a shame for Sami that things havent turned out too well so far in his short managerial career.
    On the plus side for an ex Red - Rafa won the Italian super cup for the 2nd successive season with Napoli - well done Rafa ;-)

I don't suppose Sami would fancy coming in as a defensive coach for us? Possibly not now he's had the top job at Bundesliga and Championship clubs.

Always pleased to hear of another trophy won by a team of Rafa's. He really is the king of cup wins across Europe.Shame he hasn't won a league title outside Spain but two of those in a league traditionally dominated by Real and Barca was some achievement.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Do defensive coaches actually exist? I mean, people like to hate on the back four a lot, but defending is about the whole team (look at how much better we've looked in that regard since putting Lucas, a fairly average DM, in the holding role), and that's Brendan's job to organise. I'm not sure he'd be up for relinquishing control to Sami or anyone.
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Villa are the only club in the top flight with an official defensive coach. Can't say it's really helping them.

As for Sami Hyppia he couldn't sort out Brightons defence, could be?!

Loved Hyppia as a player but it's yet another example of fans looking through rose tinted specs because he's an ex player.

We as a club really need to move forward but some Liverpool fans really do live in the past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    Villa are the only club in the top flight with an official defensive coach. Can't say it's really helping them.

Loved Hyppia as a player but it's yet another example of fans looking through rose tinted specs because he's an ex player.

We as a club really need to move forward but some Liverpool fans really do live in the past.

Arsenal have Steve Bould on their staff and it doesn't seem to help them much.

I remember when Kevin Keegan @ Newcastle hired Mark Lawrenson as a defensive coach and it changed nothing as without Keegan changing his philosophy of how he wanted his side to play no matter what the defensive coach did it didn't effect how the team as whole defended.

People say Steve Clarke would of been good but Steve Clarke doesn't just work on a defence its how he sets up the side to defend without the ball.

We could get a defensive coach in but whatever one would want to do would have to tie in with how the Manager wants the rest of the team set up. Its just not possible to get a coach in to drill the defence and think that's going to solve the problems.

Football teams should be a cohesive team front to back and not 3 rows a la fussball.

What we need is quality coaches. i.e. An assistant coach/first team coach who is very good at their job having an input on everything and not just the defence.

No amount of coaching can make players change or revert from their natural habits so we need a defence where every player is on the same page rather than some who like to hold a line and push out and some who want to drop deeper and deeper when under pressure. That's where the confusion comes from!!!
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Arsenal have Steve Bould on their staff and it doesn't seem to help them much.

I remember when Kevin Keegan @ Newcastle hired Mark Lawrenson as a defensive coach and it changed nothing as without Keegan changing his philosophy of how he wanted his side to play no matter what the defensive coach did it didn't effect how the team as whole defended.

People say Steve Clarke would of been good but Steve Clarke doesn't just work on a defence its how he sets up the side to defend without the ball.

We could get a defensive coach in but whatever one would want to do would have to tie in with how the Manager wants the rest of the team set up. Its just not possible to get a coach in to drill the defence and think that's going to solve the problems.

Football teams should be a cohesive team front to back and not 3 rows a la fussball.

What we need is quality coaches. i.e. An assistant coach/first team coach who is very good at their job having an input on everything and not just the defence.

No amount of coaching can make players change or revert from their natural habits so we need a defence where every player is on the same page rather than some who like to hold a line and push out and some who want to drop deeper and deeper when under pressure. That's where the confusion comes from!!!

Not sure what your background is, but actually that's precisely something you could solve in training..

Granted, you can't coach positional sense but you can definitely coach a defence to push out together or hold a line together...
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Defenders make mistakes, just like any other position.

Our system and some of its components mean we suffer from those mistakes more than most...

1. Goalkeeper. Neither Mignolet or Jones dominate their area (Mignolet is particularly bad) and the uncertainty this causes is not good. Also, neither are intimidating or assertive in one-on-one situations either.

2. Holding role. Gerrard never did this well from a defensive perspective but his ability tp spring attacks masked this. He no longer has rhe legs (and never really had the defensive nous) to cover for the defenders when required. Lucas is better defensively but is not as careful with the ball and does give away the odd unnecessary free kick.

You only have to watch Mangala of City to see an average defender bailed out on many occasions. Terry and Cahill are painted as invulnerable but it's the likes of Mikel and Matic (especially) that are the real reason Chelsea are so solid. As I've said before, both Terry and Cahill came through CL games last season having made NO tackles! That's the key - the holding player(s) engage the opposition outside the box and the bulk of both the central defenders work is when the ball is in the air.

Chelsea also have the most assertive and domineering keeper in the land. Mourinho's ethos has always been get the defence right (including DM and GK) and take it from there. Can no-one remember the John Terry who was all at sea when Chelsea visited us in May 2012? He was exposed by pace and a lack of protection - and was on many occasions that season, with many saying his top level days were over. Mourinho comes in and gives him the protection he needs and Terry goes back to doing what he does best rather than engaging forwards outside of his area and being done for pace.

The fact we can't score enough goals to beat teams means every mistake the defence/keeper make costs us points.

A good keeper would allow us to sort the defence out in slower time as I don't think we have the funds to buy the level of central defender we need right now and need to focus more on a forward. Lucas can do the DM role for now but I'd like to phase Can in if possible, if only to see if he's a viable option. Sakho and Lovren are decent in the air if we can get the keeper and the protection right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Defending has changed a lot in recent years, it seems to be less organised these days.

Defenders aren't drilled in the way they used to be.

Anyone could point out our defensive flaws these days, and there's plenty of them.

We need a goalkeeper who commands his area and comes for the ball, a centre back pairing that actually talk to each other on the pitch and someone to actually hold the line/push everyone out.

The basics of defending are gone, and in every game in the premier league there are horrific defensive errors..

Neville did that article recently about training, and we ourselves lost Carra, who often could be heard screaming 'out.'

There's no demand for defensive coaches, because the game is more about fitness and athleticism these days, with a little bit of guile thrown in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what your background is, but actually that's precisely something you could solve in training..

Granted, you can't coach positional sense but you can definitely coach a defence to push out together or hold a line together...

You can indeed but the point is I think if a defender naturally doesn't like to defend high his natural instinct when fatigue and pressure occurs will be to drop deeper. He may not want to but its a default action simply because its what they feel more comfortable with.

Its like a boxer who switches trainers and tries to go from a slugger to more of a boxer. It doesn't matter what is done in the gym as come to fight time that same boxer even though he thinks his changed will revert to type and slug it out if his forced into a fight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    You can indeed but the point is I think if a defender naturally doesn't like to defend high his natural instinct when fatigue and pressure occurs will be to drop deeper. He may not want to but its a default action simply because its what they feel more comfortable with.

Its like a boxer who switches trainers and tries to go from a slugger to more of a boxer. It doesn't matter what is done in the gym as come to fight time that same boxer even though he thinks his changed will revert to type and slug it out if his forced into a fight.

Years ago we used to train for hours till we got it right, and you wouldn't come off the training ground till you'd nailed it.

The likes of Neville, et al spend their time pointing out sloppy basic mistakes, and it's a league-wide problem.
    Stoke used to be an example of a well-drilled team who just went over and over it in training till it became instinct.

These days, with Hughes favouring a different game, they aren't drilled in the same way, and for me, you can see the difference.

I'm probably out of step with everyone, because rather than be happy about the improvement in attacking football, I find myself frustrated with the poor standard of defending.

When we were winning last season, it didn't matter as much, and now that we can't seem to buy a goal, maybe we need to look at not conceding too, to give us a good base?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One aspect of the defence that hasn't got anything to do with the set-up, tactics or team ethos is defending from set-pieces; I'm sure you've all noticed how horrible we are at that in particular. It's down to pure defending, as individuals and as a unit, and it can be be coached and drilled. I don't know if we need a defensive coach, but whatever we are doing in this regard just isn't working.

I know it's incredibly easy to look good on TV with all the toys Sky make available, but when I see Carra dissect our defending and get all passionate about the mistakes and how it could be better, I just wish he could go in part-time and help to try to sort it out. That's just me being fanciful and looking for solution, I'd guess neither Carra, BR or the club would find it so easy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seellee wrote: »

You talk as if the past of LFC is something we need to distance ourselves from, in contrast I see it as something to embrace. There are so many people from our past who are winners, quality people (all who know Sami say that of him - listen to the Brighton people have said about him since yesterday), have immense knowledge of football and also what the values of the club are who could help the club out. Sami I believe is such a person and I would love him back at Anfield. You use the phrase moving forward - surely that means winning things and if anyone knows about winning it is people from our past.

I think him and Carra both know how to defend and could help our current defenders do the right thing - in line with some of the MNF analysis. I am not convinced the defenders are being told the kind of things Carra highlights there. The way we defend is at times dreadful - do we agree there? - if so what is your solution?

Re Sami tho I am not sure it will happen which is a crying shame for me as
    a) BR thinks he does not need any defensive help - very questionable imo
    b) maybe altho Sami loves LFC with a passion he may not want that LFC role having previously been a manager
    and
    c) possibly Sami may baulk at the role as he enjoys such legendary status at LFC he may not want to risk destroying that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Changing the subject a bit - anyone watching the darts? - did you see Stephen Bunting who is a big LFC fan playing with his 96 pin badge on. He has just won and in the next round plays James wade who wears a sticker for The Sun.

Talk about goodies V baddies. I will so want Stephen to win that
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    You talk as if the past of LFC is something we need to distance ourselves from, in contrast I see it as something to embrace. There are so many people from our past who are winners, quality people (all who know Sami say that of him - listen to the Brighton people have said about him since yesterday), have immense knowledge of football and also what the values of the club are who could help the club out. Sami I believe is such a person and I would love him back at Anfield. You use the phrase moving forward - surely that means winning things and if anyone knows about winning it is people from our past.

I think him and Carra both know how to defend and could help our current defenders do the right thing - in line with some of the MNF analysis. I am not convinced the defenders are being told the kind of things Carra highlights there. The way we defend is at times dreadful - do we agree there? - if so what is your solution?

Re Sami tho I am not sure it will happen which is a crying shame for me as
    a) BR thinks he does not need any defensive help - very questionable imo
    b) maybe altho Sami loves LFC with a passion he may not want that LFC role having previously been a manager
    and
    c) possibly Sami may baulk at the role as he enjoys such legendary status at LFC he may not want to risk destroying that

Can you imagine the headlines. Liverpool hire ex manager who could only a win one game in 18 as the New defensive coach.

If just seems a disaster waiting to happen.
This discussion has been closed.