Options

Prices at HMV store !

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
I got a £10 gift voucher for Christmas, so checking the price of INCEPTION on the HMV website (£14.99), I went to HMV in Birkenhead.
I got to the counter, gave in my voucher and a £10 note, expecting to be charged a total of £14.99, only to be told that it is £19.99 :eek:
Needless to say, I told them to forget it and they gave me a gift card for £10 (they had already put my voucher through the till) and my £10 back.
I could have sworn that the price on the shelf was £15.99.
I don't mind £15.99, but not £19.99.
Some might say "What's £4 ??"
But I'm not (in essence) paying nearly £20 for a film.

Comments

• Options
    KeyboardSamuraiKeyboardSamurai Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Inception was imho crap, a film trying to be far too clever and "Matrix like"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you shocked at the price or the fact the website prices are different?

(or both)
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The prices for new/chart BDs in-store in HMV are awful, and are often commented on here, e.g.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1415783
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AshSan wrote: »
    Are you shocked at the price or the fact the website prices are different?

(or both)

Well, neither really, but it is very misleading.
    The HMV website should tell you the INSTORE price as well as the ONLINE price.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well stores always cost more than websites , websites don't have to pay High Street rents etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well stores always cost more than websites , websites don't have to pay High Street rents etc.

Yeah, I knew that anyway, but the website should have both the online price AND the instore price.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I knew that anyway, but the website should have both the online price AND the instore price.

yeah , it might help .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    That's what gets me - there's nowhere online to find out what something will cost in HMV instore, except on here! ;)
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA H, of course. :)

The price online will 99% of the time be cheaper, and the same product in the high street shop itself will be quite a few pounds more. Most new release blu rays in the HMV shop are around the £19-£22 mark. Depending on the film/blu ray edition.

Just check it out in the shop when you are out and it's probably going to be much cheaper on the online shop. Or look in other shops too.

I got Inception on blu ray triple play edition for £14.99 when it was first released in Asda for someone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Crap is a bit harsh but it was a little bit of a letdown especially the ending.
  • Options
    Music_boxMusic_box Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if it said 15.99 on the shelf then don't they have to sell you it at that price by law?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Music_box wrote: »
    if it said 15.99 on the shelf then don't they have to sell you it at that price by law?

It's an "invitation to treat". You can complain that the price is misleading, but they don't legally have to sell you anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Music_box wrote: »

The cashier said that £15.99 was the DVD price
  • Options
    UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cashier said that £15.99 was the DVD price

You said you were told it was £19.99 :confused:
    expecting to be charged a total of £14.99, only to be told that it is £19.99
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So any film with slo-mo is trying to be matrix like. This film bared no resemblense to the Matrix other than there being a real world and dream world and thats not even the same as the matrix. Nolan said in an interview that he was inspired by many of the films that were out at the time he was writing it.
  • Options
    justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crap is a bit harsh but it was a little bit of a letdown especially the ending.

It disappeared up it's own conceptual backside long before it lost sight of the original plot line when it became obsessed with Dicaprio's wife.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It disappeared up it's own conceptual backside long before it lost sight of the original plot line when it became obsessed with Dicaprio's wife.

They could have made so much more of his wife, I still believe she was the only one in the film who was actually right when she did what she did. (dont want to give away any spoilers)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    It's an "invitation to treat". You can complain that the price is misleading, but they don't legally have to sell you anything.

But they will for customer satisfaction, in fact if the price on the ticket on the shelf is less then the price on their computers they have to give it to you for the shelf price.Of course they could refuse to sell you it but doubt many of the big stores would want a fuss made in public.
    Had this happen a few times in tesco's, they just override the price at the tills to the lower price.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its ridiculous how much DVDs differ in price from store to store. Ive been in London a bit the past couple of weeks and went in three different HMVs to look at the price of The Eye Trilogy.

HMV in the Westfield Centre sold it for £40. HMV in Oxford Street sold it for £14 and HMV in the Trocadero centre, just down the road from Oxford Street, sold it for £18. And the website?

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=547153

£8.49

Stupid.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    I got the Inception tipple pack for 13.99 in Morrison along with band of brothers for 16.99 or . hmv just like rip people off.
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got Inception on blu ray triple play edition for £14.99 when it was first released in Asda for someone.
    So did I. Then I went in there yesterday and noticed they are now selling it for £19.99. So much for the sales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UrMyStar wrote: »
    You said you were told it was £19.99 :confused:

£15.99 = DVD price
    £19.99 = Blu Ray price
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    HMV Online is a different company IIRC. So they don't have to charge the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HMV's in-store prices are the biggest rip-off going. You'd have to be either completely mad, have more money than sense, or be afraid of shopping on the internet to actually give such disgustingly greedy chain your cash.

Where I live it's now one of the only places left to buy CDs/DVDs but I still won't stop there. While I miss buying things in shops in "real life" and supporting my local high street, there is nothing that could make me shop in HMV.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    HMV what a rip off! Best avoided until they lower their prices. Mind you some silly people pay. I tell them it is cheaper in ASDA or Sainsburys and even cheaper online.