Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member
    Loved the way the presenter had to picked Lou Macari up on his "this ref had no experience of big games"!

Afterall the Turkish chap actually sent John Terry off for a clear kick out (which some tried to defend) in the CL semi final last season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Loved the way the presenter had to picked Lou Macari up on his "this ref had no experience of big games"!

Afterall the Turkish chap actually sent John Terry off for a clear kick out (which some tried to defend) in the CL semi final last season.

I did enjoy that ! Was it Rachel Burden? Well done to her for doing a bit of research. This Turkish ref is one of the most highly respected refs in Europe. He has been in charge of very high profile games at both club and International level, and just because he has sent off a couple of Premiership players does not mean he is rubbish. He is also one of the youngest elite panel refs in Europe.

It was just a pity that they didn't get Paddy Crerand on :D
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member
    Yes it was...

I've heard before pundits saying refs don't officiate in a top league like ours so aren't good enough..yet they are quick to criticise the Premiership ones!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Yes it was...

I've heard before pundits saying refs don't officiate in a top league like ours so aren't good enough..yet they are quick to criticise the Premiership ones!

Paddy Crerand has been on the sports news, but sadly not being interviewed. He had a brief rant about Roy Keane and that was it !

Can you imagine all the fuss if a Real Madrid player had been sent off . No , I can't It would never have been mentioned .
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Groundhog wrote: »
    :D

Yeah I don't think I thought that one through very well! He basically thinks almost everything is great. Apart from the stuff that doesn't do well (ratings wise) and then he says he's never watched it/only seen it once... :rolleyes:... "It's ok, I don't think it's as bad as people are saying. But I don't watch it..."

I like the Boyd and Floyd film stuff. I just think they could do more with TV reviews.

Bacon admits himself that he doesn't actually watch much TV. Only the stuff he 'has' to. Just today he was saying how he felt he'd 'done' The Killing by watching 3 episodes. :rolleyes:

So scratch the TV Review Show. Terrible idea!

Poor Bacon. He's so naive. He reminds me of Springer Spaniel puppy. He let Archer dictate the interview (what a surprise). I don't know how those poor Eton boys manage overcome such huge obstacles to become Prime Minster, Archbishop of Canterbury, Mayor of London......... :rolleyes:

They could do a proper tv review show no problem either on here or on an evening slot _ just heard really interesting interview on radio 4 on way home with writer of drama broadchurch & generally about modern drama & was definitely sort of thing 5 live could have done _
    I really don't think Boyd Hilton is the right person though - some proper critics may be -
    But please please NOT Claudia winkleman & co. Who have destroyed the once fine Film (2013 in current form) programme
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    But please please NOT Claudia winkleman & co. Who have destroyed the once fine Film (2013 in current form) programme

I don't understand the BBC's obsession with Claudia Winkleman. She's also ruined the Friday evening arts programme on Radio 2 which used to be hosted by Matthew Wright - and which I found when looking for something to avoid Nolan.
  • Options
    guiserguiser Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the BBC's obsession with Claudia Winkleman. She's also ruined the Friday evening arts programme on Radio 2 which used to be hosted by Matthew Wright - and which I found when looking for something to avoid Nolan.

I absolutely adored Winkleman on Strictly It Takes 2, she and it were made for each other.

For two years the BBC have been trying to find something else she can do.
    When are they going to admit defeat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guiser wrote: »
    I absolutely adored Winkleman on Strictly It Takes 2, she and it were made for each other.

For two years the BBC have been trying to find something else she can do.
    When are they going to admit defeat?

Unfortunately they never will or so many other staff would also been binned too....
    - she's delightfully cute with lush shiny shiny hair & easy on the eye but she belongs on strictly type stuff...
    The panel of talking heads on film is like everyone in the pub's opinion...i can get that chatting to friends over a glass...
    Sad part of brand & Ross meant great radio 2 show ruined by then having to be pre recorded & worse replaced with current other overpaid flavour obsession graham Norton
    but on film program was great balance between kermodes full time critic approach & film fan....
    Claudia & other lot out of their depth & is so dreary now

Slightly OT but to turn back...Could have more sensible review programs of various things
    no NOT with Colin Patterson though either..
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    I don't mind Boyd Hilton on tv reviews, bt he isn't a serious film critic and shouldn't be allowed near the Friday film show when Mayo and Kermode are off. I think James King is a good stand in though, not so keen on Zoe Ball though - who obviously never normally tunes in to the normal M&K show, so the listener correspondence goes way over her head.

The film review show has really struggled to find a decent stand in presenter - Al Murray just 'umm's a lot and Colin Patterson is a bit of a bore.
  • Options
    CPFCCPFC Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know whether the current Drive presenting team of Louise Minchin sharing with Anna Foster is permanent?
    I don't think they ever announced a replacement for Aasmah Mir did they?
  • Options
    guiserguiser Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    Unfortunately they never will or so many other staff would also been binned too....
    - she's delightfully cute with lush shiny shiny hair & easy on the eye but she belongs on strictly type stuff...
    The panel of talking heads on film is like everyone in the pub's opinion...i can get that chatting to friends over a glass...
    Sad part of brand & Ross meant great radio 2 show ruined by then having to be pre recorded & worse replaced with current other overpaid flavour obsession graham Norton
    but on film program was great balance between kermodes full time critic approach & film fan....
    Claudia & other lot out of their depth & is so dreary now

Slightly OT but to turn back...Could have more sensible review programs of various things
    no NOT with Colin Patterson though either..

I never liked Ross on the 'Film........' series, I couldn't understand why they gave that to him when the excellent and knowledgable Mark Curry was also in the running.
    I suspect it was due to his having such an enormously expensive contract they had to find a lot of hours for him to fill.

I don't bother with it now. I just stick to Mayo & Kermode (although Mayo's habit of interrupting Kermode in full flow is intensely irritating).
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    CPFC wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether the current Drive presenting team of Louise Minchin sharing with Anna Foster is permanent?
    I don't think they ever announced a replacement for Aasmah Mir did they?

Unfortunately, they announced two or three weeks ago, that Peter Allen and Anna "Ha Ha" Foster, were going to be the presenters from May. It would have been far better if they had chosen Louise. Mind you, she wouldn't fit the Five Live image as she speaks with a normal voice.
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, they announced two or three weeks ago, that Peter Allen and Anna "Ha Ha" Foster, were going to be the presenters from May. It would have been far better if they had chosen Louise. Mind you, she wouldn't fit the Five Live image as she speaks with a normal voice.

Well I for one like Anna Foster. Her interviews are well conducted and she is a good news reader. She has a good rapport with Peter Allen. Each to his own of course when it comes to opinions
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a joy it was to listen to a football match on tuesday evening without having to endue Savage. He makes Steve Claridge sound good.
  • Options
    Jordan_ZainJordan_Zain Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I think 5live as it is should change also VD is never seen in her studio whats the point of moving to salford and only goes to london studio mon- thursday and salford fridays at least

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/webcam/videocam/

As for phoning in to 5live why is there a research as the first point of call before getting through to a presenter seems pointless and has anyone or in the show got pranked calls on 5live and as for the late night there should be swearing on after midnight as everyone is in bed (the majority anyway)

5live not only covers uk news but at time cover US news I think 5live should cover issues happening in asia as that region not only growing but got stuff happening there as well 5live should have a global news in order to reach out more

as for the presenter some been there for too long and bring in new people or at least get some people like drive peter allan has been there for too long and not even on twitter
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to strongly disagree.
    Whilst five live has many weaknesses such as derbyshire, savage, murray, burdon - its coverage of world news is excellent. i suggest you listen to rhod's up all night prog in which he makes contacts with corespondents from the back and beyond.
    As for Peter Allen he is a god and just because he has been around since the year dot does not impact on the quality of presentation be it serious, humourous orsimply factual.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I really wish they'd scrap the 9am phone in. I listened to the one today on energy and it was a total joke. There were the one eyed eco loons who want to send us back to living in caves and then the 'nutters' who think they've solved our energy needs by "sticking a solar panel on the roof"

Of course it's so easy, how silly of me.Of course el thicko Nicky Campbell is there to vomit his awful brainless personality over the proceedings.

If they can't get decent guests or callers, then don't bother.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really wish they'd scrap the 9am phone in. I listened to the one today on energy and it was a total joke. There were the one eyed eco loons who want to send us back to living in caves and then the 'nutters' who think they've solved our energy needs by "sticking a solar panel on the roof"

Of course it's so easy, how silly of me.Of course el thicko Nicky Campbell is there to vomit his awful brainless personality over the proceedings.

If they can't get decent guests or callers, then don't bother.
    I agree with you that they should scrap the 9am phone-in. Half the time it's a phone-in about waffle and nothing. VD should be doing the 9am to midday slot and it would also end the rather disjointed Breakfast slot. Both Nicky and Rachel could start at 6am rather than the staggered programme we have at the moment with one presenter starting at 6am and the other at 7am.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I agree with you that they should scrap the 9am phone-in. Half the time it's a phone-in about waffle and nothing. VD should be doing the 9am to midday slot and it would also end the rather disjointed Breakfast slot. Both Nicky and Rachel could start at 6am rather than the staggered programme we have at the moment with one presenter starting at 6am and the other at 7am.

I know that never really made sense. The problem is as well whoever presents the phone in can't really do any research beforehand as they sometimes do the phone in on a breaking story or something that is in the news and if the presenters are on air they have no real time to do it.

If it's left to the 9-12 presenter they have time to look into the subject perhaps speak to guests and so on.

But also the quality of the phone in is often dire, far too many of the same callers spouting the same rubbish regardless of the subject.

There's one who rings in from Scotland who always gets around to the fact he's gay and Muslim and there's one from Liverpool who blames 'Fatchur' for everything. It's like a stuck record at times.

Also they have the same boring guests, Hitchens, Toynbee, Summerskille and so on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that never really made sense. The problem is as well whoever presents the phone in can't really do any research beforehand as they sometimes do the phone in on a breaking story or something that is in the news and if the presenters are on air they have no real time to do it.

If it's left to the 9-12 presenter they have time to look into the subject perhaps speak to guests and so on.

But also the quality of the phone in is often dire, far too many of the same callers spouting the same rubbish regardless of the subject.

There's one who rings in from Scotland who always gets around to the fact he's gay and Muslim and there's one from Liverpool who blames 'Fatchur' for everything. It's like a stuck record at times.

Also they have the same boring guests, Hitchens, Toynbee, Summerskille and so on.

The spilt shift is a crap idea - I know we're repeating ourselves again but....
    I have no idea which idiot producer or manager/controller sanctioned it but I don't know any other large radio station operates such a bizarre arrangement on its flagship breakfast program.....

Again -wouldn't be so bad if it stayed as a definite switch over but this morning NC came into a conversation part way through with no introduction....& burden is punted to one side not to be heard from till after 7.......

if the guest is in studio I expect they can just answer but it's so disconcerting for them on phone when suddenly another voice starts asking separate things many times they've been surprised but it's even worse for the listener.....

Even this isn't consistent as most days this week it's been 7 a.m. switch but this morning as I said another disjointed conversation......

BUT having VD on all morning is NOT the answer either!!! She just needs to be punted off.......
  • Options
    Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's one who rings in from Scotland who always gets around to the fact he's gay and Muslim

Damn, rumbled - looks like I'm gonna have to change my act... :D
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An appearance today is the only Salford show out of a 4 day week .

9 days out of 37 . 24%

As last week. Just a friday appearance .

10 days out of 42. 24%
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    What do people think of the idea of 5 Live Bump Club:

Bump Club will begin as a weekly half-hour programme on Tony Livesey before an hour-long show, presented by new mum Edith Bowman alongside Colin Murray, starts in May.

The 5 live Bump Club will follow the journeys of Bump Club members as they go through the ups and downs of pregnancy. Plus there’ll be advice, insights and in-depth features from a host of experts, along with personal experiences and anecdotes from well-known mums and dads-to-be.

In addition to the Tuesday night feature, from 26 May new mum Edith Bowman and 5 live’s Colin Murray will present a weekly Sunday morning Bump Club show. Colin and Edith will continue to follow the Bump Club mums-to-be as they approach their due dates.

5 live's Bump Club

Sunday mornings are already awful on 5 live with Double Take and 5 Live Investigates, I can’t see it getting much better with Bump Club.

In my view they need a strong presenter for a 2 ½ - 3 hour Sunday morning magazine programme with reviews, discussion and interviews etc. It would be great to have somebody like Peter Allen if he decided to reduce his work load or maybe John Inverdale.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This Bump Club feature is a load of rubbish. I'm not sure who dreamt up the gimmick but it's enough to get me switching off the radio every time I hear 5Live talking about it.
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    This Bump Club feature is a load of rubbish. I'm not sure who dreamt up the gimmick but it's enough to get me switching off the radio every time I hear 5Live talking about it.

Would be curious to know if Bump Club was commissioned by AVK or Jonathan Wall?

“I want to wake up every day knowing we are delivering live radio that you don’t hear anywhere else in the UK.” I think it is safe to say Jonathon you won’t hear Bump Club anywhere else in the UK.
This discussion has been closed.