BT champ leauge good or bad

adamlee19adamlee19 Posts: 632
Forum Member
✭✭
Simple question are you happy that BT will have the champ league rights from 2015. I don't think its good at all but that's my view lol.

are you happy that BT will be taking over the champ leauge in 2015 113 votes

yes
32% 37 votes
no
67% 76 votes

Comments

• beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Voting yes, on the basis that either

a/ It's moving from Sky, which means there's competition- which was the point of splitting up the Prem and will make coverage better, or
    b/ It's moving from Terrestrial, which means the schedules will be disrupted less, or will at least encourage terrestrial nets to seek out different sport to show.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything that annoys Sky can never be all bad.:rolleyes:
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the don't care.

I'm voting no since it seems that there will be less FTA. Though I may have that wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    It's all very well taking about 'competition for Sky'... but what about the viewer who has to pay for another subscription?

What exact;y has competition got to do with it anyway? And why do you assume it will make coverage better?

I suppose this will make all the anti-Sky people who pretend to have a principal for not getting Sky, happy, when really they just can't afford it.

Oh and don't forget to write it as $ky. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Nicola_T wrote: »
    It's all very well taking about 'competition for Sky'... but what about the viewer who has to pay for another subscription?

What exact;y has competition got to do with it anyway? And why do you assume it will make coverage better?

I suppose this will make all the anti-Sky people who pretend to have a principal for not getting Sky, happy, when really they just can't afford it.

Oh and don't forget to write it as $ky. :rolleyes:

It works both ways remember!!! Essentially if you're a sky customer then you want all the rights on Sky, and if you're a bt customer you'll want all the rights on BT.

"but what about the viewer who has to pay for another subscription? " I hate quotes like this - some people think that Sky have a god-given right to have all sports.

The irony is that the only reason that BT ventured into sport was to protect their broadband business. Sky have gone from not being in broadband to being 2nd in the market, poaching BT customers by bundling their broadband with TV. BT are just protecting their business by playing them at their own game.

Don't get me wrong, I get your point - but let's not forget that BT and Sky aren't the bad guys here. It's the PL and UEFA for devising a bidding process that will only result in the customer paying more!
    Forum Member
    I don't actually think Sky has a right to everything. To be honest, I could afford to pay for both. I was genuinely concerned about people having to pay more.

However, having read the story properly *smacks head for being a girly tithead* I now understand BT has exclusive coverage.

Either way, the football fan gets shafted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Yes I agree - like I say the PL and UEFA have devised a system that means it's only going to cost the customer more.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this will backfire on BT , their TV service works out quite expensive once you include the price of infinity as well ( which you need ) , I was quoted 60 quid a month for Infinity plus the TV package plus line rental which is why once my current contract with BT is up I am switching to sky as it will; be 25 quid cheaper for what they are offering plus more ,
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really happy. Less football on terrestrial TV - hooray! Also, it would appear that pay tv football is going to be a lot more accessible and cheaper with BT.
  • DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted no as I can't see this resulting in anything but me paying more for the same content I have now (though I recognise subs would increase naturally anyway)..
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    adamlee19 wrote: »
    Simple question are you happy that BT will have the champ league rights from 2015. I don't think its good at all but that's my view lol.

Is this actually confirmed :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    This is an awful development but at least it went to BT vision,sky's studio presentation is god awful and hard to watch,even though i live in ireland and will still receive the CL free im saddened by this,i just hope the BBC never lose match of the day!!!
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Nicola_T wrote: »

'has to'? Everyone's welcome to subscribe to just the one or neither.

There is other football, there are other sports (many of which don't get anywhere near the level of coverage football does), there are other forms of entertainment (many of which don't get anywhere near the level of coverage sport does).

The problem here isn't that Sky or BT are going to get richer at the public's expense. it's that a noisy minority of the public seem to think they're in some way entitled to be handed all of the football, all of the time on a plate at everybody else's expense, and they'll act like their basic human rights have been violated if they don't get the tiniest fraction of it.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »

Yes and not just some games but all champions league games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    beemoh wrote: »
    The problem here isn't that Sky or BT are going to get richer at the public's expense. it's that a noisy minority of the public seem to think they're in some way entitled to be handed all of the football, all of the time on a plate at everybody else's expense, and they'll act like their basic human rights have been violated if they don't get the tiniest fraction of it.

Get real beemoh,of course the uk public expect free football,its a football mad nation,they deserve it and are being robbed by sky and BT who have a monopoly on the sport,whether you like it or not football is utterly in twined into your nations culture. the Champions league should be protected as an international tournament just as the WC matches are!
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »

Yes, they've said the final and one game per season of each UK team in the competition will be shown on free to air, but all other games will be behind a paywall on BT Sport. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24879138
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    I'm really happy. Less football on terrestrial TV - hooray! Also, it would appear that pay tv football is going to be a lot more accessible and cheaper with BT.

Cheaper how? How many football fans do you think want CL football and not PL? Which means that they all now have to get 2 subscriptions instead of one.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    'has to'? Everyone's welcome to subscribe to just the one or neither.

There is other football, there are other sports (many of which don't get anywhere near the level of coverage football does), there are other forms of entertainment (many of which don't get anywhere near the level of coverage sport does).

Who is saying that exactly? You think it's unreasonable that football fans are upset that they will now have to pay even more to watch all their football?
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheaper how? How many football fans do you think want CL football and not PL? Which means that they all now have to get 2 subscriptions instead of one.
    The way that I'm looking at it is that you'll get lots of football for free, if you have BT broadband. I've always thought that $ky have made football a premium product and over charged for it. Now BT have proven that you don't have to pay over the odds to watch football.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    The only real answer is to use the fibre operator of your choice to stream illegal high quality streams of the matches you want to see.

The premier league and UEFA and Sky and BT are ALL to blame.

So kick back.
    Piracy is forced upon a public that us not considered when decisions are made which affect them directly.

They won't help us, so don't help them.

I want to watch Premier League, Champions League, Serie A, La Liga and international matches. The internet is in 1 place.

If Sky & BT were in collusion to serve the public and not just fire missiles at eachother they could help us and help themselves. But they are not. So hurt them where they aim to hurt us. In the pocket!!!!!
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the BT Sport stuff is a lot more available to stream for free.
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree many will turn to Piracy.

I have BT sport with my infinity package anyway( but for how long will that be with little or no extra change????), and Sky. I loath the BT presentation. I can't stand the build up on BT and skip straight to the game when it starts.

They had better get MotoGP coverage right!!!!!
    Forum Member
    'has to'?

Yes - 'has to'. If people want PL football they will need Sky because it has the majority of the games. If they want CL they will need BT.

That's two subscriptions.
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT Sport will collapse as a result of this deal - shortsighted isn't even the word.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good, no more Steaua Bucharest vs FC Oslo in a so called vital round of the Europa League and yet more Man United on ITV1.