Local Council problem

stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I live in a council flat, and now my concrete floor has little dips come in it, which my wheelchair sometimes goes in, also i'm a right leg, below the knee, amputee and i'm scared to go around the room with my prosthetic leg incase i fall over.
My council will do the repair and lift and refit the carpet, the workmen said i'd need a new carpet, but the council say it's my responsability for gettng a new carpet. not them.
Surely as my carpet will be ruined it's the responsability on the council to replace it, after all i didnt cause the dips in the floor

Comments

• sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stairway wrote: »
    I live in a council flat, and now my concrete floor has little dips come in it, which my wheelchair sometimes goes in, also i'm a right leg, below the knee, amputee and i'm scared to go around the room with my prosthetic leg incase i fall over.
    My council will do the repair and lift and refit the carpet, the workmen said i'd need a new carpet, but the council say it's my responsability for gettng a new carpet. not them.
    Surely as my carpet will be ruined it's the responsability on the council to replace it, after all i didnt cause the dips in the floor

Why do you need a new carpet?
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

No carpets are your responsability not councils. Unless the carpet belongs to the council
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carpets are subjective and i'd imagine that if they did it would be something so cheap and crap you would complain anyway, if the carpets not totally destroyed just get it relaid after the floors been skimmed
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have house contents insurance that may help might be worth contacting them to ask. But I can't see if the carpet is taken up carefully why they would be ruined.
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why will the carpet be ruined by lifting it? Unless they intend to do it by slicing it into smaller pieces to lift it then simply undoing the sides and rolling it shouldn't cause any harm.

But why not go for a new carpet? You have all the upheaval anyway while they do the floor so why not splash out and get a new one?