Options

Dinner is it lunch or tea

rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
Forum Member
This has caused great confusion between me and other people as to what 'dinner' is. I class dinner as the evening meal (sometimes called tea), but other people class dinner as the daytime meal 'lunch' this caused a lot of confusion when I was arranging to meet a Friend at dinner time and he said lets meet at 1pm. Then I've seen a lot of people posting around lunch time today that they are stuffed from their Christmas dinner. Just a general wondering really as to what others call it.

Comments

• Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has caused great confusion between me and other people as to what 'dinner' is. I class dinner as the evening meal (sometimes called tea), but other people class dinner as the daytime meal 'lunch' this caused a lot of confusion when I was arranging to meet a Friend at dinner time and he said lets meet at 1pm. Then I've seen a lot of people posting around lunch time today that they are stuffed from their Christmas dinner. Just a general wondering really as to what others call it.

It's a regional thing I think.

We have breakfast, lunch and dinner. Today we had Christmas lunch (or dinner) at 1pm :)
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me its Breakfast, Lunch, Tea if you have something at tea time and then after 7pm it is dinner and late on it is supper. Anything outside that is a snack, cannot stand that term brunch for mid morning.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where I come from Breakfast, Dinner, Tea and Supper.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    we have breakfast, lunch and dinner, tea is a drink and a sandwich or cake about 4ish.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up in the North but I have lived in the South for 25 years. I used to have my dinner at midday now I have it in the evening.

I also used to sit on a settee now I have a sofa. Different parts of the country, different language.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I class dinner as the big meal of the day. Lunch is a small meal at middayish and tea is a small meal in the evening.

So you could have breakfast, dinner and tea or breakfast, lunch and dinner.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    Where I come from Breakfast, Dinner, Tea and Supper.

Same here. No confusion whatsoever.
    BTW a "high tea" is a workman's flask and butty break on top of a crane :D
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I class dinner as the big meal of the day. Lunch is a small meal at middayish and tea is a small meal in the evening.

So you could have breakfast, dinner and tea or breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I would concur and generally partaken of in the evening; with lunch and supper being lighter meals.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breakfast, lunch, dinner. We used to have tea instead of dinner, when we were at school and ate our evening meal at around 5ish - Mum called it tea. I don't do brunch - it's either a late breakfast or an early lunch :D
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me I have breakfast in the morning, around 1pm I will have lunch and on the evening I will have dinner.
    I also have dinner at lunch time and tea at dinner time depending on who I am with :)

In the end we all know when we are eating and it does not matter what we call it.
    I used to pick my kids up on saying what I thought was the correct term for each meal as they would say the same as their Father and their friends said, which was not the same as me.
    In the end I stopped telling them what to say but have realised that now they are all adults they say the same as I do now.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have my breakfast at 8am, my dinner around 12pm and my tea around 5pm.

When I was little, supper was a snack about 8pm.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Breakfast, dinner, tea. I tend to think of lunch as a midday break (as in "lunch hour") rather than the meal which takes place within it, which I call dinner.

However, at Christmas the rules change. Christmas Dinner is the main meal (aka tea), but is eaten at around 3 as one big feast.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning: Breakfast
    Noon: Dinner
    Evening: Tea
    Night: Supper

Lunch is something you put in a box and take out on a picnic!
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a kid it was:

Breakfast
    Dinner
    Tea

Now I'm an adult, its:

Breakfast
    Lunch
    Dinner

:)
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    It's Breakfast, Dinner, Tea here.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's irrelevant at Christmas. It's Christmas dinner whatever time it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The meal in the middle of the day, is to me dinner. Then the one later is tea,
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here it's...

Breakfast
    Dinner
    Tea
    Supper
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Here it's...

Breakfast
    Dinner
    Tea
    Supper

I've never really understood supper. When I've had my dinner I'm full.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless of whether I had it at noon or 5 pm, I'd still call it 'Christmas dinner' as that's what I've always called it. :) We had ours at about 2 pm today. Normally I call my meals breakfast, lunch, and tea/supper, which I suppose sounds odd since I say Christmas dinner.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,626
    Forum Member
    Breakfast, Dinner, Tea, Supper

It's what i have for tea & a what time that sometimes i miss out supper, i have to be up at least a couple of hours before having a Breakfast.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,626
    Forum Member
    Regardless of whether I had it at noon or 5 pm, I'd still call it 'Christmas dinner' as that's what I've always called it. :) We had ours at about 2 pm today. Normally I call my meals breakfast, lunch, and tea/supper, which I suppose sounds odd since I say Christmas dinner.

I'm similar any Roast dinner, is my Roast dinner not tea, but a none Roast dinner is my tea.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I have a hot meal at lunchtime it is dinner and the evening meal is tea.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Us more common types have dinner at dinner time, and tea at tea time.

We have christmas dinner, although its generally about 3o'clock
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought dinner was the main meal of the day whether eaten in the middle of the day or in the evening (and I see the Oxford Dictionary agrees with me).

For me, dinner is normally in the evening with lunch being a quick snack, but at Christmas we have dinner some time between 1 and 2pm.