The most obnoxious University Challenge contestant ever?

Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone else been watching University Challenge and been driven mad, as I have, by the captain of the Manchester team, Tristran Burke?

I can hardly bear to watch the programmes he takes part in. He has this stupid grin on his face which is both smug and dopey. He waves his arms around in strange irritating gestures. But most of all, when his team are conferring, he talks really loudly, all the time with that idiotic smile plastered across his face, as if he thinks viewers are interesting in all his guesses and ideas. I think he thinks we enjoy listening to him. Believe me, Tristran, we don't!!!!!!!

I scream at the screen every time he's on it, and I feel like throwing a brick at it. I don't know yet whether his team will win the contest, but he's definitely won the title T**t of the contest as far as I'm concerned.

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was annoying enough for me to stop watching my recording and delete it.

A lot of the time he was making suggestions of answers loudly, to no one in particular, as he certainly wasn't addressing anyone when he spoke.
    Dunno why Paxo didn't accept what he said a few times as their answer as he was often wrong, that might have shut him up.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He can't be worse than that bloody Daphne on Eggheads surely?!
  • Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Doghouse Riley;56950704]He was annoying enough for me to stop watching my recording and delete it.

A lot of the time he was making suggestions of answers loudly, to no one in particular, as he certainly wasn't addressing anyone when he spoke.
    Dunno why Paxo didn't accept what he said a few times as their answer as he was often wrong, that might have shut him up.[/QUOTE]

You are a viewer after my own heart, Doghouse!

You're dead right, he makes his suggestions to no-one in particular, it's like a stream of consciousness. Well, I wish he'd keep his stream to himself. T****r!
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is irritating, but not as obnoxious as that girl who was on a few years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »

I don't watch Eggheads, but there's this masochistic streak in me that says maybe I should, if there's someone to rival Tristran bloody Burke in the irritation stakes. I have to admit I find it hard to believe someone could be as bad as him. I really don't think anyone on TV has ever irritated me more.

I really don't want him to win, but unfortunately, he is very good. Even if he loses, I bet he'll still have that smug grin on his face. I bet he grins smugly even when he's asleep.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heis good and they are a good team

but do you reckon they tip em off about the questions likely to come up?
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know someone who was in the first round and as far as I know they don't.
    My uni's team practiced by winning all the local pub quizzes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't have thought so, as it would go against the spirit of the programme, but on the other hand, they do ask some very obscure questions which a lot of contestants get right.

I think they ask more scientific and mathematic questions than they used to; they're the ones I can never even guess at!
  • Dr DaveDr Dave Posts: 5,184
    Forum Member
    Yet again I can't see what the complainers are banging on about! Given a choice between trying and failing to catch the hushed whispering of certain teams and hearing the sometimes inspired but often amusingly daffy blatherings of characters such as Burke I far prefer that latter approach.

Furthermore I would like the long-haired doctor wannabe who will be one of the captains next week to also make the final.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't have thought so, as it would go against the spirit of the programme, but on the other hand, they do ask some very obscure questions which a lot of contestants get right.

I think they ask more scientific and mathematic questions than they used to; they're the ones I can never even guess at!

What confuses me is when they have teams of arts or humanities students and they still manage to answer those crazy maths questions that just seem like a random string of letters and numbers. How do they know that stuff?!
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »

Pamela? You're back! (You may have been back an age but only just noticed. Soz)

Anyhow. Recorded this and tried to watch but am too annoyed. Will try tomorrow...or - most likely - forget it. The people they find....:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it on iplayer to see what you meant. If I was sat next to him I would've slapped him to stop grinning and giggling! I don't get why when the team can confer on answers he'd say something to them and then say the same answer to Jeremy straight away
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    He is irritating, but not as obnoxious as that girl who was on a few years ago.
    Who do you reckon was worse: that girl from a few years ago or that bloke from a few years before that?
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but I do think they can "spot" the sorts of questions that traditionally come up.
    That's why there have been some rather weird topics (such as the one-name internet arguments one from tonight). I think the question setters are trying to be a little less predictable and a bit more "down wiv" the teams.
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the mature student on their team far more irritating. Hope UCL triumph with the hairy med student captain Jamie Karran.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I found the mature student on their team far more irritating. Hope UCL triumph with the hairy med student captain Jamie Karran.

He is immense! I think Jeremy really likes it when UCL play. Also have you noticed how they always seem to end up with bird related questions?

The American on their team is pretty Sharp too!
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ALL contestants on University Challenge have that smug "Aren't I clever ?" look on their face.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha had to laugh when I saw thos thread - I just thought I was being grumpy. Surprised Paxman didn't tell him off for his attitude
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ALL contestants on University Challenge have that smug "Aren't I clever ?" look on their face.

Are you sure that is not all university students, full stop...?;)
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really want to see the episode the OP is talking about. When did it come on?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tonight - check i player
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bellabella wrote: »
    tonight - check i player

Thank you :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The one with Brian May hair ? :p
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind him.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    On an unrelated matter: McKenna sat next to him was a hottie. :)