Elementary - UK Pace - No Spoilers Please

Comments

• bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it :) Jonny Lee Miller is superb as Holmes. I tend to forget about the connection with the Conan Doyle stories, and just enjoy it for what it is.

(Also, I could listen to Aidan Quinn all day - he has the most lovely voice :) )
  • caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for me it's getting to the point now were all my shows have ended or coming to an end and i'm not quite sure what new series will replace them, but this is definatly one of those new ones i'm sticking with, i was a bit worried it would mirror the UK version, but after watching the first 2 episodes i think its pretty safe to say that its not going to happen, i like this show for what it is, i actually prefer the holmes and watson relationship in the US version and i'm probably in a minority here but i like lucy liu in the role on watson and i got the feeling from episode 2 it won't be long before we get the first story arc for the season :)
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sherisgirl wrote: »
    We thought it was ok, not as bad as US version of Prime Suspect:eek:

The US version of Prime Suspect was very good. It was a shame that NBC cancelled it just like they cancelled Life.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^at least with Life they had finished the main story arc, and a cracking finish it was.
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    ^at least with Life they had finished the main story arc, and a cracking finish it was.

Yes, it was. However, I wanted more Charlie Crews, Dani Reese and Life. :p
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sherisgirl wrote: »
    We thought it was ok, not as bad as US version of Prime Suspect:eek:

That was shocking wasn't it? :eek:

I don't like this either. Sherlock's making errors in deductions all over the place, that's not who Sherlock is, he's intellectually brilliant, I don't get that from this.

It would have worked better for me if Lucy Liu was Sherlock and Johnny Lee Miller was Dr Watson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squiggle wrote: »
    Yes, it was. However, I wanted more Charlie Crews, Dani Reese and Life. :p

I'm with you there. Had the distinct feeling that S3 would have shown us much of what went on during his time in jail. :eek:
    Alli-F wrote: »
    .....It would have worked better for me if Lucy Liu was Sherlock and Johnny Lee Miller was Dr Watson.

:eek: I can just imagine the furore if the US people had "dared" to make Sherlock a Lady. :D
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Alli-F wrote: »
    That was shocking wasn't it? :eek:

I don't like this either. Sherlock's making errors in deductions all over the place, that's not who Sherlock is, he's intellectually brilliant, I don't get that from this.

It would have worked better for me if Lucy Liu was Sherlock and Johnny Lee Miller was Dr Watson.
    That would have been fun, but my fantasy of Lucy Liu telling me to cough, is ruined.;)
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's not bad , I actually prefer Lee-Miller to Cumberbatch ( who is too OTT for my liking) . weird that they were both in the Frankenstein stage production recently alternating roles .
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,509
    Forum Member
    Just watched the second of these as it was in my planner. I'm really underwhelmed by it tbh and don't think I'll be watching anymore - it's a bit 'murder by numbers' and I'm finding Jonny Lee Miller very annoying
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    Elementary got the post superbowl slot!
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is certainly not bad, but it's not anything special either. Just another run of the mill show.
    I like Lucy Liu but there's not enough about the show to keep me hooked.
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was ok & passes an hour. Bit concerned Americans think all brits talk in a stupid clipped cod-english way like Johnny L-M in the series - cos we dont! I've never met anyone with such a weird accent - suspect its just for US tv audiences.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    I thought it was ok & passes an hour. Bit concerned Americans think all brits talk in a stupid clipped cod-english way like Johnny L-M in the series - cos we dont! I've never met anyone with such a weird accent - suspect its just for US tv audiences.

Well as far as American TV seems to be concerned there are only two English accents ie "posh" and Cockney
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lest we forget Daphne Moon
    Forum Member
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    Speak for yourself GrouchoM ....;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    He's very Derren Brown.
    Forum Member
    Good case last night, with a great twist.:eek:
    Adam reminded me of the Edward Norton character in Primal Fear.

Loving the Locations too, still, that scene at the end on the Bench, with the View....stunning.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nixx wrote: »
    He's very Derren Brown.

Yes he is. I like him though.

Its certainly watchable but I don't like the premise of Watson being a mentor to stop him drinking.
  • fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A nice way to pass an hour, JLM is good and I'm liking Liu more than I thought I would.

I'm ashamed to say that I didn't immediately recognise Aidan Quinn - but I think the last time I saw him in anything was Benny and Joon so perhaps I can be forgiven.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a show that I'm growing to love, didn't like the first Episode, but after last nights battle of wits with Adam, it seemed to bring Sherlock to life, and with that the relationship wit Watson grew. I do think that they are letting the show "bed-in" before starting to Slip in references to the conan doyle works
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Good case last night, with a great twist.:eek:
    Adam reminded me of the Edward Norton character in Primal Fear.

Loving the Locations too, still, that scene at the end on the Bench, with the View....stunning.

Still struggling with the concept of someone outsmarting Sherlock. It really rankles with me. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sherlock has to have a challenge or else the show is just him being wonderful every week
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elementary got the post superbowl slot!

Hope they don't waste the opportunity to wow all the "so what's this show all about" people who will be first time watchers - unlike (iirc) wot TSCC did with their borefest ep post superbowl which was basically Sarah lying in a field for 40mins with no sign of any robot on robot battle fest anywhere :( (though my memory might be a little flawed. :o)

Maybe the Sherlock ptb will use this slot for an adaption of a well known Sherlock story. :) - preferably a two parter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daniel9624 wrote: »
    Sherlock has to have a challenge or else the show is just him being wonderful every week

Challenge, yes. Getting it wrong, no. When the original Sherlock got things wrong, it was to misdirect, it was a chess game and he was 2 or 3 moves ahead and so got it wrong on purpose to lull the perpetrator into a false sense of security. He didn't get this sort of thing wrong.

If you're going to base these stories on Sherlock Holmes, then you have to understand the character of the man and at least stay faithful to that. If you can't don't call him Sherlock Holmes.