Strong feelings/fantasys about work colleague

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
Forum Member
I have developed very strong feelings for a colleague over the past year, but i have a boyfriend of 8 years, i dont work directly with my colleague in the same office however he works on the same floor and we have work envolvment together.
It started off with being friendly and light flirting, the eye contact though is hypnotizing-it feels like hes staring straight into my soul, he smiles and sometimes winks at me before walking off.
I admitted i liked him a lot one day but he said he was taken, and i admitted i was too.
As the months have gone on (we've still been working together) my heart beats frantically when i see him and i literally cant get him off my mind.ive gone to his office to say hi and have a friendly chat a few times and he's offered me a drink, he's incredibley friendly and is genuinely a really nice guy.
I asked him out right recently if he likes me and he said ' im a really sweet girl' i asked him for his number so i could message him- he replied by saying i would get myself in trouble if my bf saw, he implied one of us could get drunk and send suggestive texts!
Although nothing has happened, i feel very guilty and like im bettraying my bf. i cant stop thinking about this guy, a few months back he said if he became single he'd let me know- im so confused!
Do you think he feels something but wont admit it?
Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has told you he is "taken" (and so are you). Back off. Right off.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should feel guilty as you are betraying your BF.

You may not have actually kissed or had sex but the flirting, the admitting you like each other etc is all tantamount to cheating in my book.

I think you need to have a good, long look at your relationship with your partner and decide if it is where you truly want to be?

Also he has a partner, for all you know there could be kids involved?

You have obviously been with your BF from a young age (I am guessing you are 26 so have been with him since age 20ish?) that is quite a young age to meet your "forever partner"

I would steer well clear of this man, even if you became single he isn't!
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From your post, it sounds as if the feelings are all one-sided. You risk making a big fool of yourself if you continue to try to get off with him. Even if he did like you in that way, he wouldn't have any respect for you if you were prepared to cheat on your boyfriend. My advice would be to finish with your boyfriend if you're considering going elsewhere, as he deserves better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have developed very strong feelings for a colleague over the past year, but i have a boyfriend of 8 years, i dont work directly with my colleague in the same office however he works on the same floor and we have work envolvment together.
    It started off with being friendly and light flirting, the eye contact though is hypnotizing-it feels like hes staring straight into my soul, he smiles and sometimes winks at me before walking off.
    I admitted i liked him a lot one day but he said he was taken, and i admitted i was too.
    As the months have gone on (we've still been working together) my heart beats frantically when i see him and i literally cant get him off my mind.ive gone to his office to say hi and have a friendly chat a few times and he's offered me a drink, he's incredibley friendly and is genuinely a really nice guy.
    I asked him out right recently if he likes me and he said ' im a really sweet girl' i asked him for his number so i could message him- he replied by saying i would get myself in trouble if my bf saw, he implied one of us could get drunk and send suggestive texts!
    Although nothing has happened, i feel very guilty and like im bettraying my bf. i cant stop thinking about this guy, a few months back he said if he became single he'd let me know- im so confused!

He cannot make it more clear that he's not interested. Men can be jokey and flirty, it doesn't mean they wish to leave their partners for you. If you're interested in other men then clearly you need to work on your own relationship, so instead of chasing men who aren't interested and are taken, why don't you do that?
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's just not into you.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    He has told you he is "taken" (and so are you). Back off. Right off.

This multiplied by the very largest number you can think of with one added to it!!!!!!
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Its fairly obvious he finds you attractive and would probably be interested in you if he was single. However he has made it clear he is happily spoken for and you need to respect that and leave well alone.

If you are not happy with your current boyfriend you should spend your time trying to fix that instead.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Step away and run for the hills!

It sounds to me like he's playing you. It is very flattering getting attention from someone new and people often flirt back up encourage the attention.

If you made a direct play for him I bet he'd back right off and make out it was all you.

Be happy with what you have, as you are luckier then many, purely by being in a long term relationship.

Trust me, the grass is rarely greener on the other side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »

It sounds to me like he's playing you. It is very flattering getting attention from someone new and people often flirt back up encourage the attention.

If you made a direct play for him I bet he'd back right off and make out it was all you.

Be happy with what you have, as you are luckier then many, purely by being in a long term relationship.

How strange we see this scenario so differently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all responses, i know it may not seem like it but i am happy with my partner- thats why im so confused and hate myself for feeling this way. As many of you probably know, you cant control/switch off your feelings if attracted to someone.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all responses, i know it may not seem like it but i am happy with my partner- thats why im so confused and hate myself for feeling this way. As many of you probably know, you cant control/switch off your feelings if attracted to someone.

Yes, you can. You are actively indulging yourself with fantasies and openly chasing someone else. I think you're being pretty awful to be honest.

I think you should consider leaving your partner because if you were happy with him, you wouldn't be behaving like this. But if you insist on subjecting him to life with a partner who is obsessed with someone else, then get your act together and do something about it. Change departments, look for a new job, go for couples counselling or just take a long hard look in the mirror.

How would you feel if your boyfriend was behaving the way you are? Would you even care?
    Forum Member
    Safi74 wrote: »

Thanks, you sound like you are speaking from experience. I totally realise the grass isnt always greener & the fantasy would be better than reality, can you see where im coming from though, about having feelings that are really strong?
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree that we can't help finding people attractive, but even if we can't control our feelings, we can certainly control our actions. You don't have to attempt to act out all your fantasies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are really strong because you are feeding them. See your original post. No good will come of it.
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, you sound like you are speaking from experience. I totally realise the grass isnt always greener & the fantasy would be better than reality, can you see where im coming from though, about having feelings that are really strong?

You just keep trying to justify your behaviour. Yes your feelings are strong, but that's only because YOU are indulging them. You are choosing to spend time with him. You are choosing to tell him you like him. You are choosing to try and step up things by getting his number so you can have flirty texts. You are pursuing this. This isn't about your feelings getting out of control, it's about you fanning the flames.

If you love your bf, imagine if you found texts on his phone to a girl he worked with, being flirty and she was asking him if he fancied her, and if he was single would he get together with her. Imagine how you'd feel.
    Forum Member

I can totally see where you are coming from and yes I'm speaking from bitter experience sadly. Save you and your boyfriend a lot of heart ache and leave be. Otherwise it'll only end in tears and the chances are they will be yours. Good luck x
    Forum Member
    How strange we see this scenario so differently.

It is indeed! That is what makes the human race so amazing, if not rather confusing!
    Forum Member
    Thanks safi, its nice someone understands! I wont take it any further, i know its stupid and i need to concentrate on my relationship. x
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I reckon you'd be better off working on your capitalization, punctuation etc. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's one thing to think another man is attractive, but quite another to ask him out on a date.
    Forum Member
    Thanks safi, its nice someone understands! I wont take it any further, i know its stupid and i need to concentrate on my relationship. x

😊 xxx
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its easy to be attracted to work colleagues if you work closely with them. I myself have had several crushes on people I worked with but I would never act on them because they are just crushes and nothing else.
  • Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking from experience, I would say that work crushes often = work boredom. It' s a fun little thing that makes incessant filing or data inputting more bearable. If that's how you feel about your job, a moderately attractive colleague can seem like God's gift. See them outside work, and you'll probably wonder what you saw in them. But I think there's nothing wrong with a crush on a colleague, to liven up your day,as long as you don' t make a fool of yourself at the same time.

Getting a job you find interesting (hard, I know) and making your out-of-work life more fun and stimulating will see your infatuee receding to the back of your brain.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being in a great loving relationship does not mean that you can't be strongly attracted to someone else.

It's perfectly normal and may or may not go away but if you wish to continue in the relationship that you have then you have to remove yourself from the situation, your mistake is not your feelings but that you tried to act on them.
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago I was strongly attracted to a man who worked on one of our building sites. He was tall blonde and blue eyed and very attractive and I wasn't the only one who liked him. We had an Christmas office party and he asked me to come upstairs to find a deserted office so I did. We had just sat down together on the chair when the phone rang, I answered it and it was the girl I worked with asking me what I was doing. Her telephone call made me stop and remove myself from the situation because I did have a boyfriend at the time. I blame too much drink :D