Graham Norton Show Series 16 begins 26 September 2014

Comments

• grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    Smith really is a shrinking violet, isn't he. 😉
  • WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the problem with any comedian on a chat show is that they believe they have to be funny. Why? they're being interviewed not doing their day job. Footballers don't do keepy-uppy's when they're being interviewed :) actors don't have to adopt the persona of one of their characters they can be themselves....for once. It's only comedians who have this desperate need to gain laughs, and it's why they always make the most tiresome guests.

This is almost a word-for-word mirror of a post I made once, about both comedians and also impressionists. Impressionists do exactly the same thing, in interviews they have to shift the subject onto a certain celebrity so they can provide us with hours of tiresome fun immitating them...
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beckham is a boring as heck guest...get Noel on!
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that annoys me about Will Smith is that if they made 'Independance Day 2' and it took place one day after the last one ended, he could get away with it.

He doesn't age.

I can't say the same for Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman :)
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Hate Will Smith.

Noel Gallagher should be in sofa rather than on at the end of the show. He has good sarky attitude which cuts through the Hollywood bull****

I agree, he should be on the sofa being interviewed. You're right, he has a way of getting to the point in just a few well chosen words and is often spot on with his comments.

Beckham has everything really. The only thing he's lacking is a personality.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beckham is a boring as heck guest...get Noel on!
    I've just switched on. Noel Who?

Hugh Jackman is usually good for a laugh.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me about Will Smith is that if they made 'Independance Day 2' and it took place one day after the last one ended, he could get away with it.

He doesn't age.

I can't say the same for Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman :)
    http://img.allw.mn/content/2013/09/20131809_7099.jpg

:o:o:o
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Makes me wonder. What are your fave ever Norton shows?

Mine...

1. Matt Damon, Bill Murray, Hugh Bon, Paloma Faith
    2. Will I am, Miriam G...such an odd show.
    3. Kim Cattrall, Chris Pine and Benedict Cumberbatch
    4. Michael Fassbender, Hugh Jackman, James M
    5. Mila Kunis, Olly Murs, Judi Dench, Jude Law

As well as the Will Smith, Bradley Cooper, Heather Graham one too.

Those 6 are on my repeated watch ones.

Billy Crystal, Hugh Jackman and John Bishop. Think it was a 'new years eve' show.

Also Robert De Niro, Sylvester Stallone, Jonah Hill, Carey Mulligan.

Guests I like, Judi Dench, Dan Radcliffe, sure I could think of many more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beckham never looks comfortable in his suits. He's probably a nice bloke but his fashion sense gets in his way.
    Forum Member
    Beckham banging on about Ferguson being great again. Fact is, Ferguson was/is a ruthless bullying egomaniac - pity Beckham didn't mention that.
  • nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stegan wrote: »
    I agree, he should be on the sofa being interviewed. You're right, he has a way of getting to the point in just a few well chosen words and is often spot on with his comments..

My favourite NG quote re Liam "he's a man with a fork in a world full of soup"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for Beckham doing things for charity BUT he is terribly boring as a guest on a chat show.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nvella wrote: »
    My favourite NG quote re Liam "he's a man with a fork in a world full of soup"

Brilliant, not heard that before but it sums Liam up perfectly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm switching off again. Not a Gallagher fan - his music sounds dated.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of THE cringe moments of the year - Gallagher begging Beckham to be in his video. My toes will be curled for the rest of time!
  • coldoasiscoldoasis Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Crikey

Why are so many so anti-Beckham?

He may not be everyone's cup of tea but there's worse people out there.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    This isn't a proper show. It's more like clips stuck together. I'm not Will Smith's biggest fan but he was ok tonight. And then he's gone. Can't stand Beckham so I'm glad I recorded this so I can FF till he Fs off.
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beckham never looks comfortable in his suits. He's probably a nice bloke but his fashion sense gets in his way.
    I agree. This is the most I've ever seen and heard him and I can't imagine him having a really good belly laugh as he seems so conscious of his image somehow.

I turned on for the lovely Hugh having seen the classic show with him before, but where has his face gone? It looks so thin which is worrying considering the skin cancer scares. Hope he's ok as he is not only multi talented but one of the good guys in that business, being so family oriented and all.

A show that promised much but which I found rather lack lustre, due I'm afraid to the uptight Beckham.

I always assumed that David was the cool foil to Victoria's dedication to image, the fun dad. Now I think they just have a great team in PR and family image making.
    Sad too that daddy asked the café to employ his son? We'd just tell our kid to go and ask for themselves. After trying to convince us that he was trying to instil normality, he scored an own goal by following the script prepared by his PR team.
    Forum Member
    To be honest, there hasn't been a really good Norton show for weeks. Many of his guests have been poor. Tonight's show wasn't that great.

Had it been possible, I would have had Will Smith, Hugh Jackman and Liam Gallagher on the sofa without the others.
  • puppylove7puppylove7 Posts: 66,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is everyone hating on David?? I thought he came across really well and I have no doubt he's genuinely a lovely guy. :)
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    puppylove7 wrote: »
    Why is everyone hating on David?? I thought he came across really well and I have no doubt he's genuinely a lovely guy. :)
    I wasn't "hating on David", I'm sure he's a nice man. Nice though doesn't make for entertainment. Barrel of laughs, or raconteur he ain't!
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just catching up. Margot Robbie really doesn't seem to have a real bone in her body.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Just catching up. Margot Robbie really doesn't seem to have a real bone in her body.

She's got lucky that's for sure. Only seems like 2 seconds ago she was in neighbours. But she is good looking so that is half the battle.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's got lucky that's for sure. Only seems like 2 seconds ago she was in neighbours. But she is good looking so that is half the battle.

I'm not denying that, but her laugh and general sycophancy towards Will Smith was hideous.

That song by Noel was extremely derivative. Not awful though.
  • FlowesFlowes Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    One of THE cringe moments of the year - Gallagher begging Beckham to be in his video. My toes will be curled for the rest of time!

I think he asked, once, I didnt see any begging.