Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 48)

Comments

• Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard for sports journalists though because if they make a prediction and the time comes and goes they look clueless; if they don't make a prediction they're accused of making it up. When buying a house you can think 'expected to be completed next week' and be wrong but still know you're buying that house.

It's probable they were told by club sources they hoped it sorted out by X. If it isn't that's hardly the journalist's fault.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Di Maria injured. Looks like hamstring injury.

Oh dear.

The first injury of pre-season and they're not even back at work yet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's hard for sports journalists though because if they make a prediction and the time comes and goes they look clueless; if they don't make a prediction they're accused of making it up. When buying a house you can think 'expected to be completed next week' and be wrong but still know you're buying that house.

It's probable they were told by club sources they hoped it sorted out by X. If it isn't that's hardly the journalist's fault.

I never believe anything a reporter says about transfers. I only believe a story when the club announces officially they've signed someone. So I treat all the stories as sort of entertaining comedy!

It's certainly a laugh seeing what they come up with next! Morgan S is a case in point. All over the papers last Sunday that he was going to sign on Wednesday, when apparently - according to a quote from the Southampton manager on said Wednesday - there'd been a bid nearly 2 weeks before then (the 20th June I think it was) that had been turned down and no bid since then. (or no serious bid, I think he said. Obviously thinking 20m was too low so wasn't a serious bid) So why were the papers saying on the 29th that it was a done deal? 'Schatch of the Day' is a headline hard to forget!

The joke about that is that the papers said he was going for 25m, yet the bid was allegedly for 20m, so presumably they all just guessed, in the hope they were right.
    And they weren't.
    Not for the first time. Or the last.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It seems that RvP is off to Turkey, which would leave us with just Rooney and Wilson as our strikers for the upcoming season (unless Fletcher, Henriquez, or a returning Hernandez can get into LvG's first team selection thinking).

Perhaps we should be looking to sign someone else, who fits in with our managers philosophy, as we do look a bit light in that crucial area, if RvP does depart.

Not according to the Mail.

Robin van Persie to talk to Van Gaal next week about future. Won't leave unless told he's not wanted
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3149570/Robin-van-Persie-set-learn-Manchester-United-fate-week-Dutchman-not-short-options-shown-door.html
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    Not according to the Mail.

Robin van Persie to talk to Van Gaal next week about future. Won't leave unless told he's not wanted
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3149570/Robin-van-Persie-set-learn-Manchester-United-fate-week-Dutchman-not-short-options-shown-door.html

I trust the Guardian more than the Fail...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tribec wrote: »
    I trust the Guardian more than the Fail...

I don't trust any of them.

They're all Sunday Paper stories. They always come up with something for the Sunday papers. They've ran out of players we're supposed to be buying so they're starting on the player's we've already got, leaving!
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame that Di Maria had to come off injured for Argentina, hopefully it isn't too bad.

Henriquez gets a winners medal, so that is some good news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great news, I would say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news, I would say.

It certainly is for him, he has now got Copa America and FA Cup winners medals, all without making his debut for us yet, not bad really!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It certaois for him, he has now got Copa America and FA Cup winners medals, all without making his debut for us yet, not bad really!

YEs. Hopefully he never plays for us and wins much more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YEs. Hopefully he never plays for us and wins much more.

Okay, fair enough, personally, I would like to see him given a fair shot, just to see if he is good enough or not, as I haven't seen enough of him to make up my mind just yet.
  • Options
    Conor McHaleConor McHale Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hasn't he already joined Zagreb anyway?
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    We were discussing this a week or so ago - it would have been interesting to keep a track on every player we have been linked with this summer. I think it would far exceed one squads worth of players. Perhaps worth doing next window, if we remember!

Ed Woodward worked it out last summer, on the tour he told MUTV how many players had been linked to United over the last 3 years or so, it was several hundred - but we actually signed half a dozen, or something like that!

Made me chuckle and is why I don't often join in the media speculation these days, when it's reported here, as 99% of it is wrong. And I don't recall anyone predicting Di Maria or Falcao last summer!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Ed Woodward worked it out last summer, on the tour he told MUTV how many players had been linked to United over the last 3 years or so, it was several hundred - but we actually signed half a dozen, or something like that!

Made me chuckle and is why I don't often join in the media speculation these days, when it's reported here, as 99% of it is wrong. And I don't recall anyone predicting Di Maria or Falcao last summer!

There was a fair bit of Di Maria speculation actually. Falcao was one of those 8am the next morning "WTF?!" moments.

Then it turned into an 8pm "WTF?!" moment several months later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't he already joined Zagreb anyway?

As far as I can make out, he has not, he is still listed everywhere I see as our player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shame that Di Maria had to come off injured for Argentina, hopefully it isn't too bad.

I forget Henriquez plays for us! How long has he been out on loan?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I forget Henriquez plays for us! How long has he been out on loan?

He doesn't really play for us though as he never has. We own his registration so he could play for us at any time, but as yet he hasn't. He's a United player the same way as that property you've not moved into yet and won't at the very earliest by the beginning is August is there you currently live
  • Options
    toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun reckon united have made first contact for Kane lol, reckon we see him as a long term replacement for Rooney!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toastie15 wrote: »
    Sun reckon united have made first contact for Kane lol, reckon we see him as a long term replacement for Rooney!

I hope so. I firmly believe that we should do everything to get Harry Kane this summer as I think he's be a great signing. Working with better players and against better opponents in the CL will improve him as a player too.

£65m for Harry Kane and I'd be a happy boy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope so. I firmly believe that we should do everything to get Harry Kane this summer as I think he's be a great signing. Working with better players and against better opponents in the CL will improve him as a player too.

£65m for Harry Kane and I'd be a happy boy.

That would be the biggest robbery since Leeds forced us to pay over the odds for Rio. Kane did sweet FA in the U21 tourny, maybe he was tired, I don't know, but from what I saw he was ordinary. I'm still in the way of thinking he's worth keeping an eye on for sure, but this coming season will be a test for him. In much the same way last year was for Januzaj. If Kane can repeat last years achievements then he'll be one of the hottest properties in football, but right now he's talented and full of potential, and not worth £65m
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Henriquez is the perfect example of the futility of the loan system for young players that I was arguing with Batdude about last week.

There is a player who is 21 and is on his 3rd loan spell. He is an international footballer who scored a pile of goals on loan at his last club. His current club's fans have just been discussing the need for a new striker to come in and has anyone once championed giving Henriquez a chance? Not that Ive noticed and probably rightly so. On that basis I really do question the value of the loan system.

What more could he realistically have done? Probably not much but the harsh reality is if Manchester United need a striker this summer they will be looking to the transfer market for one of sufficient standard rather than giving this existing player a go cos really I think they know its not happening!
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be the biggest robbery since Leeds forced us to pay over the odds for Rio. Kane did sweet FA in the U21 tourny, maybe he was tired, I don't know, but from what I saw he was ordinary. I'm still in the way of thinking he's worth keeping an eye on for sure, but this coming season will be a test for him. In much the same way last year was for Januzaj. If Kane can repeat last years achievements then he'll be one of the hottest properties in football, but right now he's talented and full of potential, and not worth £65m

Rio Ferdinand was one of the best bits of business Manchester United have ever done?:confused:
  • Options
    toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rio Ferdinand was one of the best bits of business Manchester United have ever done?:confused:

Absolutely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be the biggest robbery since Leeds forced us to pay over the odds for Rio.

You think we got ripped off with Rio Ferdinand? A decade + of probably our best defender in our most successful periods in the club's history?

You cannot mean that because it's absolutely ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member

We had to pay over the odds for him at the time. I'm not saying he didn't prove worth it, but had Leeds not been in such financial trouble we could have got him for much cheaper, they rung us dry as they did with Smith. You can't blame them given the circumstances, plus we'd stolen Cantona off them previously. However, at that point we were fleeced by at least 5 or 6m, more. Today it looks like it was good business, but at that instant.
This discussion has been closed.