Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 48)

Comments

• Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member
    Seen stuff on twitter today, coming from Spain, suggesting that Ramos has broken off discussions with United and is happy to stay at Madrid. It's speculation of course, so who knows.

Sweinsteiger again from twitter, suggestions are he could make a decision one way or another as early as tomorrow, whilst we haven't improved our bid for Schneiderlin by accounts.
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont understand why there is the need to target guys who have their gigantic clubs almost engrained in them.

Aside from their names I would have thought there would be more likely purchases elsewhere who ultimately would have a longer future at the club and probably not cost as much to bring in.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Tribec wrote: »
    Seen stuff on twitter today, coming from Spain, suggesting that Ramos has broken off discussions with United and is happy to stay at Madrid. It's speculation of course, so who knows.

Sweinsteiger again from twitter, suggestions are he could make a decision one way or another as early as tomorrow, whilst we haven't improved our bid for Schneiderlin by accounts.

I've never thought Ramos was going to United, never understood why anyone believed he was.

He's nearly 30. Spent his whole career in L:a Liga, could never imagine him wanting to face the PL at his age.

No, he's been playing a game and United sadly have been the willing participants, by the sound of it.

No bid on Morgan S since June 20, by all accounts. So LVG must've gone off him. The sticking point there seems to be about 5m that United won't pay (not improving on the 20m they offered that was turned down). Not a lot, so as that bid was 3 weeks ago, maybe LVG has just changed his mind about him.

Bit of a boring window, only got one player - and he still hasn't actually signed, he's been getting over here for his medical for 2 days!
    I know they got Depay as well, but as his transfer was confirmed on May 7, it doesn't feel like a signing in this window.

So after the long list of big names United were apparently going to buy, we'[ve so far ended up with someone called Damian!
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont understand why there is the need to target guys who have their gigantic clubs almost engrained in them.

Aside from their names I would have thought there would be more likely purchases elsewhere who ultimately would have a longer future at the club and probably not cost as much to bring in.

I think it's tied in with there being less concern of resale value. Everything's much more about the short to medium term goals. It's how the game has gone or probably has been already for many years. It's the way of Chelsea, City, Madrid, Barcelona etc. Not necessarily taking players from gigantic clubs but the lack of concern for resale value.

Just look at the fees we get. Seems as if creating space on the wage bill is all we're concerned about.

I see Schweinsteiger as a bridge between Carrick and whoever replaces Carrick. Short-term two/three year thing. I'm happy enough with that as long as that's not how we approach it everywhere on the pitch.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member

I see Schweinsteiger as a bridge between Carrick and whoever replaces Carrick. Short-term two/three year thing. I'm happy enough with that as long as that's not how we approach it everywhere on the pitch.

Funny bridge when he's 31 himself - or he is in about 3 weeks time. Carrick's 34, so there won't be a lot of difference in their ages, and if they both get injured they'll probably be out longer cos of their ages.

Schneiderlin's about 6 years younger than him.

So if it's true, LVG is indeed thinking short term.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bild seem to think we've got Schweinsteiger, it's editor has even put this up on the website...

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/bastian-schweinsteiger/good-luck-schweini-41732862.bild.html
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Tribec wrote: »
    Bild seem to think we've got Schweinsteiger, it's editor has even put this up on the website...

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/bastian-schweinsteiger/good-luck-schweini-41732862.bild.html

Lets hope so he will add some valuable experience to midfield, he might not be the player he was in his prime but he will still be a great player for us. I hope that doesn't mean we end our interest in Morgan Schneiderlin as i think he would be a good signing too and he has Premier League experience and is 5 years younger than Schweinsteiger, though i'm having my doubts about whether or not this deal will happen as we seem unwilling to meet Southampton's valuation. I hope we get Schweindteiger but i won't get my hopes up, will only believe it when it is official.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm wondering if our CEO likes the idea of trying to bring in some big names as a bit of a statement of intent. With Falcao and Di Maria last season being an example.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I've never thought Ramos was going to United, never understood why anyone believed he was.

He's nearly 30. Spent his whole career in L:a Liga, could never imagine him wanting to face the PL at his age.

No, he's been playing a game and United sadly have been the willing participants, by the sound of it.

No bid on Morgan S since June 20, by all accounts. So LVG must've gone off him. The sticking point there seems to be about 5m that United won't pay (not improving on the 20m they offered that was turned down). Not a lot, so as that bid was 3 weeks ago, maybe LVG has just changed his mind about him.

Bit of a boring window, only got one player - and he still hasn't actually signed, he's been getting over here for his medical for 2 days!
    I know they got Depay as well, but as his transfer was confirmed on May 7, it doesn't feel like a signing in this window.

So after the long list of big names United were apparently going to buy, we'[ve so far ended up with someone called Damian!

"We've ended up with someone called Darmian " could be your epitaph if he turns out to be the next Dani Alves. :p
  • Options
    Conor McHaleConor McHale Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schweinsteiger seems like it is going to happen, a lot of media outlets seem to be running with that story. I just hope that doesn't mean the end for Schneiderlin, but from what the people at Southampton have been saying, it wouldn't surprise me if it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering if our CEO likes the idea of trying to bring in some big names as a bit of a statement of intent. With Falcao and Di Maria last season being an example.

Big names he likes, count them Schweinsteiger (14 letters), Schneiderlin (12), he'll be selling letters individually in the shop, and then getting the letters sponsored....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Funny bridge when he's 31 himself - or he is in about 3 weeks time. Carrick's 34, so there won't be a lot of difference in their ages, and if they both get injured they'll probably be out longer cos of their ages.

Schneiderlin's about 6 years younger than him.

So if it's true, LVG is indeed thinking short term.

How is it a 'funny' bridge, he has 3 years on Carrick. If Carrick is expected to slow down in the next year or so why is it funny that someone aged 31 could be expected to plug the gap short term?

Were you expecting a 'bridge' that lasted about 8 years?
  • Options
    Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am very disappointed if we have gone for schweinsteiger instead of schneiderlin, he'll be 31 when the season starts and is becoming injury prone, who knows how he will adapt to the league, i don't understand the logic of going for him instead of a player in his prime that is proven in this league. as an alternative to carrick he can do a job, but they shouldn't both be in the same midfield as our midfield will be very slow with them two in it, alonso-schweinsteiger was horrible so there is no reason to believe carrick-schweinsteiger will work any better.
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any indication that Schweinsteiger would have to be playing alongside Carrick? There is surely plenty of games for both and I can't see Carrick ever playing 30+ games going forward.

Schweinsteiger would be signed to be a quality alternative/replacement for relying on Carrick.

Schneiderlin is a different matter altogether but again it depends on what formation/grouping Van Gaal has in mind. There are so many players who cross over the midfield/wing/forward positions right now that it would be a brave man who guessed what a first choice XI would be. You would expect Herrera, Mata, Depay, Rooney, Di Maria to all reasonably expect to be first choices but it would seem that some high profile players could miss out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schweinsteiger seems like it is going to happen, a lot of media outlets seem to be running with that story. I just hope that doesn't mean the end for Schneiderlin, but from what the people at Southampton have been saying, it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

according to manchester evening news southampton have said that they still haven't received another bid from us since the first one was rejected two weeks ago, it very much looks like we have pulled out and gone for schweinsteiger instead.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to get a shirt with Schweinsteiger on the back haven't you? Such a great name, can't let it go to waste.
  • Options
    AdamBlackpoolAdamBlackpool Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bastian Schweinsteiger: Midfielder Reportedly Agrees to 3-Year Contract With Manchester United
    Schweinsteiger informed his former club Bayern Munich of his decision Friday and will sign a three-year contract with Manchester United pending a medical exam, German newspaper BILD reported.
  • Options
    Conor McHaleConor McHale Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    according to manchester evening news southampton have said that they still haven't received another bid from us since the first one was rejected two weeks ago, it very much looks like we have pulled out and gone for schweinsteiger instead.

That's what worries me. We'd be stupid not to pursue Schneiderlin, he ticks all the boxes for the midfield player we need.

I like Schweinsteiger but I don't think he should be our only midfield signing. His fitness is a bit of a concern and his best playing days are probably behind him. I'd be happy with him in addition to somebody else but I just hope we aren't putting all our eggs in one basket with him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what worries me. We'd be stupid not to pursue Schneiderlin, he ticks all the boxes for the midfield player we need.

I like Schweinsteiger but I don't think he should be our only midfield signing. His fitness is a bit of a concern and his best playing days are probably behind him. I'd be happy with him in addition to somebody else but I just hope we aren't putting all our eggs in one basket with him.

totally agree, very risky if we are banking on him alone to solve our midfield problems...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some of the press seem to think we'll still be in for Schneiderlin, even if we get Schwiensteiger. It looks like the opinion is that getting one eases the pressure of getting the other, but the other will go ahead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKAIK it's always been reported that we were after both. I suspect if we do sign Schneiderlin the response from some will be to jump off the roof over the fact we've 'given up on Kroos'
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, it certainly now seems as if Schweinsteiger is our player, which would be a coup, if we get Schinderlin as well, then that would be a huge upgrade on our options in midfield from last season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, it certainly now seems as if Schweinsteiger is our player, which would be a coup, if we get Schinderlin as well, then that would be a huge upgrade on our options in midfield from last season.

I just hope it spells the end for Fellaini as an option. 'Knock it up to big Mo' was effective, at first, but even when it worked was never particularly edifying. The structure of the midfield next season is going to be interesting to see. As much as I'm a fan of his I can't imagine Blind starting that many next season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now we just need to sort out the keeping and striking situations, as if both De Gea and Valdes leave, we really would have to get someone new in, same goes for the striking area.

Good business so far, but more still needs to be done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hope it spells the end for Fellaini as an option. 'Knock it up to big Mo' was effective, at first, but even when it worked was never particularly edifying. The structure of the midfield next season is going to be interesting to see. As much as I'm a fan of his I can't imagine Blind starting that many next season.

Yes, Fellaini was a good option to have, but he was never going to be a player to take us to the next level in terms of winning trophies.

Blind is an interesting one, as he could be an option at left back, if Shaw's injury troubles continue (I hope that they don't).
This discussion has been closed.