No Full Series in 2016

Comments

• MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Oh, and Mulett, it's 'The Ultimate Foe" that had the "...spurious morality" line. Gawd bless Pip and Jane. (I actually like the last 6 episodes of 'Trial'...florid lines and all!)

I wasn't far out then lol

I really enjoy Trial. Its a bit too inward-looking for casual viewers, I reckon. But (as a fan) I love the whole idea of a corrupt Time Lord trial and its incredibly dark at times - Peri's death, the revelation about the Valeyard, Bonnie Langford . . .
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    I wasn't far out then lol

I really enjoy Trial. Its a bit too inward-looking for casual viewers, I reckon. But (as a fan) I love the whole idea of a corrupt Time Lord trial and its incredibly dark at times - Peri's death, the revelation about the Valeyard, Bonnie Langford . . .

I remember it. That oxo advert lady played the judge I think. I seem to remember it was a little way through an episode and then the doctor started walking backwards into his tardis. Very surreal.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    If there were specials next year and it's possible, despite that 4chan thing being debunked now, it wouldn't be the greatest vehicle to introduce a new companion but at the same time, Moffat could do something like ...

Special 1 - Easter: Twelve, UNIT (Kate/Osgood) and Eight/BF companion work together in order to stop an invading force. Autons maybe?
    Special 2 - Autumn/Halloween: Twelve and Paternoster Gang, proper Gothic horror special.
    Special 3 - Christmas: Twelve vs. Missy and something else, possibly Gallifrey related.

The first two could be co-written efforts and Moffat could pull in some big guest stars and really push them. Make the specials extra special before launching Series 10 in 2017 with a new companion and so on.

Clara should exit in the Series 9 finale or Christmas 2015.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it appears the rumours emerging this week were indeed utter nonsense. Quelle surprise. I still expect there not to be a full series next year though. I'm backing Private Eye all the way on that one.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    So it appears the rumours emerging this week were indeed utter nonsense. Quelle surprise. I still expect there not to be a full series next year though. I'm backing Private Eye all the way on that one.

Me too. If Private Eye's story was utter rubbish, the BBC could've dismissed/denied it even without revealing the Series 10 schedule.

Something's afoot alright.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that a quote from our 'mole' who either works for BBC Wales and thought "stuff the confidentiality clause in my contract, I'll reveal all online" or *knows* someone who works for BBC Wales and they have thought "stuff the confidentiality clause..." etc?
    I guess the risk of being caught is quite low when you consider the huge number of people who would need to know already that filming on Series 10 won't be starting in January, as it did in 2014 and 2015. We're only talking about five months away.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess the risk of being caught is quite low when you consider the huge number of people who would need to know already that filming on Series 10 won't be starting in January, as it did in 2014 and 2015. We're only talking about five months away.

True true. And agree with others that there is likely to be *something* in the PE story. Be surprised if we hear anything official until Series 9 unfolds, which I think would be fair enough. Obviously the Beeb will want to concentrate on what's coming up from September rather than what is, or isn't! , coming up next year.

It's just claims of insider knowledge of what's happening up to 2018, that's when I raise a Roger Moore-like eyebrow.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    True true. And agree with others that there is likely to be *something* in the PE story. Be surprised if we hear anything official until Series 9 unfolds, which I think would be fair enough. Obviously the Beeb will want to concentrate on what's coming up from September rather than what is, or isn't! , coming up next year.

It's just claims of insider knowledge of what's happening up to 2018, that's when I raise a Roger Moore-like eyebrow.

If there truly is no full series next year, then I think in a way it would be better for them to say it now than later from a publicity standpoint. If they announced it now they could spin it along the lines of 'well there won't be a full series next year, but don't worry about that for now, because there are still 13 shiny new episodes to look for to this year' whereas saying it anytime after series 9 has aired will sort of be a case 'hope you enjoyed that last series of doctor who, because their won't be another one for a while'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there truly is no full series next year, then I think in a way it would be better for them to say it now than later from a publicity standpoint. If they announced it now they could spin it along the lines of 'well there won't be a full series next year, but don't worry about that for now, because there are still 13 shiny new episodes to look for to this year' whereas saying it anytime after series 9 has aired will sort of be a case 'hope you enjoyed that last series of doctor who, because their won't be another one for a while'

I personally would push what is coming in Sept/Oct/Nov and address the future after that. Us fans will debate and speculate, what we do, but the less hardcore probably only think about what's coming up and when as the trailers air; IMO I doubt whether they think that far ahead....
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I personally would push what is coming in Sept/Oct/Nov and address the future after that. Us fans will debate and speculate, what we do, but the less hardcore probably only think about what's coming up and when as the trailers air; IMO I doubt whether they think that far ahead....

That's what I would do too. Fans chattering on forums (a tiny number of people) is just that. I like to chatter away but I know that it's not affecting the real world and the BBC, rightly, couldn't care less.

The BBC might break silence for other reasons such as:

Worldwide wanting something public. Unlikely - as sarge99 pointed out they're the ones with the product and their customers listen to them not Private Eye.

Internal politics or somesuch. Unlikely - the Cohen/Moffat lack of coordination of messaging will be remembered.

Journalists relentlessly hammering their door. Possibly, but no sign of that a week after publication. This might be in part because they remember that they themselves sparked the curiosity of journalists by their disposition towards....

....A Malcolm Tucker desire to control the narrative at all costs. Unlikely this year. Fortunately the Dr Who team now employs Malcolm Tucker and he's clearly told them that sometimes it's important to just pipe the f**k down. ;-)

I'm thinking - no full series in 2016, no clarification for a few weeks at least.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised the tabloids haven't been all over this. Surely it can't be long until we see a hysterical story declaring next year's series has been AXED or at the very least CUTBACK?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised the tabloids haven't been all over this. Surely it can't be long until we see a hysterical story declaring next year's series has been AXED or at the very least CUTBACK?

The litmus test has to be this Sunday's papers.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member

The tabloids didn't seem to take much interest the last time either. I'm surprised that it's usually only Private Eye who picks up these things. I thought PE was better known for their political satire than insights into Doctor Who production. I guess the tabloids don't need to bother with actual investigative journalism when they can just trot out their usual 'ratings crisis' headline that they've probably got lined up to go out in October.
    Forum Member
    Oh dear and it looks like the BBC have just dropped the ball with The Voice as well now. Love em dearly but they really do seem to have a magnificent ability to handle any given situation badly and shoot themselves in the foot time and again. Who needs the Tories and the red tops sticking the knives in when they do such a fine job of it themselves! 2016 is shaping up to be quite an interesting year for the BBC...
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    So that could mean a split series over late 2016/early 2017 then.

At least it doesn't appear to be for budgetary reasons.

The last time they split the series up I ended up getting lost with the story when it came back. I kept thinking of it as a new series and wasn't sure at what point things began or ended. I just didn't get my bearings.
    Forum Member
    Actually just to correct myself on my earlier post. I didn't realise that the BBC don't produce The Voice so I guess it wasn't them who created that particular situation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    The tabloids didn't seem to take much interest the last time either. I'm surprised that it's usually only Private Eye who picks up these things. I thought PE was better known for their political satire than insights into Doctor Who production. I guess the tabloids don't need to bother with actual investigative journalism when they can just trot out their usual 'ratings crisis' headline that they've probably got lined up to go out in October.
    I'm sure the two things can be conflated to make a plausible (to non-fans) story.

"DOCTOR WHO RATINGS CRISIS! BEEB AXES NEXT YEAR'S SERIES!"

There you go. This tabloid rubbish almost writes itself.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    "TOM JONES TO REPLACE MOFFAT AS DOCTOR WHO HEAD WRITER"

He has the Welsh heritage after all.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "TOM JONES TO REPLACE MOFFAT AS DOCTOR WHO HEAD WRITER"

He has the Welsh heritage after all.

Tom's just been axed from The Voice. So, I'd love to see an appearance from him at some point and hear that glorious welsh voice...
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I certainly can't confirm the 100% truth in this only to say the person I got this from doesn't make things up.

Apparently the editor of DW magazine (who is a friend of my mate's other half) has been told that Moffat is leaving and Gattis or Whithouse is taking over for series 10 in order to allow Moffat to do Sherlock. This will be announced on Tuesday but the editor was told early due to deadlines for the magazine.

As I said, I'm not claiming this is definite truth but just what I've been told.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I certainly can't confirm the 100% truth in this only to say the person I got this from doesn't make things up.

Apparently the editor of DW magazine (who is a friend of my mate's other half) has been told that Moffat is leaving and Gattis or Whithouse is taking over for series 10 in order to allow Moffat to do Sherlock. This will be announced on Tuesday but the editor was told early due to deadlines for the magazine.

As I said, I'm not claiming this is definite truth but just what I've been told.

Well, if it is true, I'm going to find an old post where I said I wasn't convinced SM was definately doing Series 10 after the Wales Online article appeared which stated he'd signed for "another year", as thought it was ambiguous whether the journalist was referring to Series 9 or 10!

Nah I wont, but it's all interesting stuff! :D
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Makes sense. Specials next year then series 10 in 2017.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She can't remember everything her other half was told but Moffat that he had to choose between DW and Sherlock because they don't want to sacrifice one of them.
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member

It sounds like nonsense, because Sherlock depends on two other people who's other time commitments make greater amounts of it pretty much impossible. Why would Sherlock require a full time showrunner, when it's stars couldn't ever do a full time show?
    Forum Member
    Kromm wrote: »
    It sounds like nonsense, because Sherlock depends on two other people who's other time commitments make greater amounts of it pretty much impossible. Why would Sherlock require a full time showrunner, when it's stars couldn't ever do a full time show?

Maybe the show runner of series 10 will just be a caretaker to allow Moffat to go off and do Sherlock whilst still allowing them to produce series 10 next year and then Moff to return for series 11? Would make sense if it's Gatiss who works closely with Moff anyway.