Four in a Bed. New series!!

Comments

• Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)
    Who was it who informed us that the industry standard was 6 hangers?
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Someone from a previous series.

Yes, it was someone from a previous series. I can't remember who, but it was a man, and he was positively anal about it. The first thing he did when he went into a room was check the b****y hangars!
  • hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    Yes, it was someone from a previous series. I can't remember who, but it was a man, and he was positively anal about it. The first thing he did when he went into a room was check the b****y hangars!

Drat, it is bothering me now. It might have been someone off the Tripadvisor programme and not 4IAB. Might have been the idiot that put ink dots on the bed linen.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hoppyuppy wrote: »
    Drat, it is bothering me now. It might have been someone off the Tripadvisor programme and not 4IAB. Might have been the idiot that put ink dots on the bed linen.:)

Nope. It was deffo 3/4 in a Bed. I didn't watch the TA programme.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I remember Ink Dot Man! He was a bit of a ****

I honestly dont mind if coat hangers dont match...yes, be nice if they did but its not a deal breaker.

I would also need a wardrobe and definitely a mirror in the room. I cant believe there was NO mirror :eek:

I freaked out last week when there was no power point near a mirror but to not have a mirror is just :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Ink Dot Man! He was a bit of a ****

I honestly dont mind if coat hangers dont match...yes, be nice if they did but its not a deal breaker.

I would also need a wardrobe and definitely a mirror in the room. I cant believe there was NO mirror :eek:

I freaked out last week when there was no power point near a mirror but to not have a mirror is just :eek:

Tommo is right, I think. It was on FIAB. If Gemo was around we would know which episode it was by now.

Coat hangers are never going to be the life and death of me but decent shirt/trouser hangers are a bit hard to come by in shops these days.

Must try to get a life sometime soon.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've looked, and think it may have been Joseph from The Address in Blackpool. Series 2, Episode 28. But don't quote me on it.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first thing he did when he went into a room was check the b****y hangars!
    I think it is one of the boxes to be ticked (6 matching hangers or whatever) when applying for... one of the British rating systems - can't remember which.

ETA:
    there's an interesting document standard guide here

And this is the AA standards guide - a .pdf and to increase the print size, roll over the centre of the screen towards the bottom and click the + sign. The Detailed Quality Guide 2.0 re star ratings is quite interesting. Well, it is to me... but I'm probably another one in need of a life... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Must try to get a life sometime soon.;)

You and me both hoppy....you and me both.... ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've looked, and think it may have been Joseph from The Address in Blackpool. Series 2, Episode 28. But don't quote me on it.

That's very precise Tommo :p
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunkum or not, after the last year of constant rain, it sure ain't necessary and it is marginally less entertaining than watching paint dry.;)
    :D it would not be my choice of activity unless there was only that ,or watching Neighbours left. ;)
    Normandie wrote: »
    I think it is one of the boxes to be ticked (6 matching hangers or whatever) when applying for... one of the British rating systems - can't remember which.
    It certainly was about a star rating, some people have been quite fixated with their rating haven't they?

It might well have been. When they went to the Butterfly place in wales?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You and me both hoppy....you and me both.... ;)

Teehee, I spend all day out walking in the countryside (which is good and healthy) and all night watching CBB, hoping they don't vote Lacey or Speidi out (which probably isn't so healthy).:D

Roll on the sun and some vitamin D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might well have been. When they went to the Butterfly place in wales?

I just used the right words when I Googled! ;) And yes, it was that week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Have I got this right ? the Kiwi woman's dad bought the big house and that included buying whatever titles belonged to the family - which can't be sold on to Joe Bloggs - and she's calling herself a Lady ?
  • Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jordanash wrote: »
    Have I got this right ? the Kiwi woman's dad bought the big house and that included buying whatever titles belonged to the family - which can't be sold on to Joe Bloggs - and she's calling herself a Lady ?

I thought she said her dad inherited the title from his uncle when he passed away, and when the next one inherited the title he sold the property. Something along those lines anyway.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,678
    Forum Member
    There's an old article from New Zealand
    Here
    and about Mount Edgecumbe the original ancestral home,
    The house was built between 1547 and 1553. It was gutted by German bombs in 1943, and restored from 1958 onwards by the 6th Earl. In 1971, the 7th Earl sold the house and park to Cornwall County Council and Plymouth City Council, and it has been open to the public since 1988. Its interiors have been restored to 18th century styles. It is currently run by Ian Berry, the park manager, and Nicholas Butcher, the Head ranger, assisted by Gary Fry and Craig Penwill. Gary Fry runs "Bushcraft" courses throughout the year, which are overnight camp-outs and crash courses in living from the wild. The Mount Edgcumbe House property is now jointly owned by Cornwall Council and Plymouth City Council[1] and is one of the region's most popular historic tourist destinations. The country park, on the Rame Peninsula, is the earliest landscaped park in Cornwall and is very popular with walkers
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Edgcumbe_House
  • Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Thanks :)
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    There's an old article from New Zealand
    Here
    and about Mount Edgecumbe the original ancestral home,
    That's interesting, Solar, because it says that...
    Denise Edgcumbe was 22 when her unremarkable life - and those of her parents and four younger sisters - changed irrevocably in December 1982.

Plain, hardworking Kiwi farmer Bob Edgcumbe, then 43 and managing a 1200ha Lands and Survey Department sheep and cattle station near Kawerau, woke one day to become the eighth Earl of Edgcumbe.

The death of an elderly uncle in England meant he inherited a 300-year-old title, his unpretentious wife, Joan, aged 41, was suddenly a countess and their five no-frills, country-bred daughters were titled ladies.

I'm fairly (not completely) sure that Lady is a title granted at birth because Daddy is already an Earl (or upwards). So as the new Earl already had his kids when he inherited his title, the girls don't subsequently acquire the title of "Lady". Girls born after the title was inherited would. That'd be a recipe for family arguments I suspect. :D
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    That's interesting, Solar, because it says that...

I'm fairly (not completely) sure that Lady is a title granted at birth because Daddy is already an Earl (or upwards). So as the new Earl already had his kids when he inherited his title, the girls don't subsequently acquire the title of "Lady". Girls born after the title was inherited would. That'd be a recipe for family arguments I suspect. :D

It's a wonderful story. A Kiwi sheep-farmer and his family inherit a title! I'm so glad she wasn't one these people who bought it.

All it says on Wiki on the subject is:
    Courtesy prefix of "Lady"

The honorific prefix of "(The) Lady" is used for the daughters of Dukes, Marquesses and Earls. The courtesy title is added before the person's name, as in the example The Lady Diana Spencer. The title persists after the death of the holder's father but it is not inherited by her children. The husband of the holder is not entitled to a courtesy title. The holder is addressed as "Lady Diana".

I don't know the actual legalities but I don't begrudge Lady Edgcumbe her title! If she's in line to the throne, I'd love to know what number she is. :D
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mint station man! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »

That's right, ewoodie! I'd forgotten about his mint station.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,678
    Forum Member

Yes!
    Tommo how could you forget mint station man?

I'm fairly sure the guidelines on hangers have been mentioned a few times to be honest.

As for the aristo title, I guess she can use it as a 'courtesy title'
    In this instance I think it's reached the point where my brain scrambles :D
    Wiki says

In the United Kingdom, "Lord" and "Lady" are used as titles for members of the nobility. Unlike titles such as "Mr" and "Mrs", they are not used before first names except in certain circumstances, for example as courtesy titles for younger sons etc. of peers.
    Lord from Old English hlāford, hlāfweard, meaning, literally, “bread-keeper," from hlāf (“bread”) + weard (“guardian, keeper”) and by extension husband, father, or chief. (From which comes modified titles such as First Sea Lord and Lord of the Manor.)

The feminine equivalent is Lady from the related Old English hlǣfdīġe meaning, literally, “bread-kneader”, from hlāf (“bread”) + dīġe (“maid”), and by extension wife, daughter, or mistress of the house.
    which is kind of quaint for the proprietor of a B&B :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's right, ewoodie! I'd forgotten about his mint station.
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Yes!
    Tommo how could you forget mint station man?

I cant remember Mint Station Man :o
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant remember Mint Station Man :o

It does ring a bell, was it a Blackpool B&B? I'm not totally sure I have the right person.I do have a slight history of getting these people mixed up sometimes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    It does ring a bell, was it a Blackpool B&B? I'm not totally sure I have the right person.I do have a slight history of getting these people mixed up sometimes.

Yes it was. The Address in Blackpool. The same guy who was anal about the number of coathangers. he was quite sweet really, but had these quirks! :rolleyes:
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it was. The Address in Blackpool. The same guy who was anal about the number of coathangers. he was quite sweet really, but had these quirks! :rolleyes:

Yes, I think I know who, thanks.

Looking forward to tonight's, I enjoyed yesterday's B&B, I would really like to visit, seriously considering it, the location was gorgeous. I want that lovely breakfast, I am so hungry, could wolf down a Full English right now, but with a mahoosive glass of wine. I need one today, it's a decent hour somewhere in the world, I shall be reckless, to very heck with it!
This discussion has been closed.