Steve and Karen now on TFM from monday!!

Comments

• Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »
    What is wrong with this?

"BBC News, its five past eight"
    Nothing at all that's a standard out cue exactly what your post indicates you think is brainwashing.

Ending every bulletin in that way is fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Both stations use the strapline Non-Stop Hits and More Music Variety... hell of a mouthful.

I agree plus More Music Variety is used by Heart, I think all the Bauer local place stations should change their strap line to More Hit Music.
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the latest from the new TFM Radio- from Metro Radio in Newcastle- the best place in the northeast.....
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »
    Because they are "coached" to do so. It is the latest borg type indoctrination of radio. Now that we have brainwashed the listeners we will brainwash the presenters.

The following is to be spoken in a dalek style voice.

"You will only say what we want you to say. You do not have a personality. It has been removed. Do you understand .... do you understand."

Who said 1984 would never come back.

Before this particular development from Bauer you would have never accused the group of "brainwashing" anybody.

As has been explained, having a standard outcue for the news - one whatever station - has been common practice for many years. In the late eighties Chiltern had the "Hot FM", in the nineties GWR had the "world's best city" (running concurrently in Nottingham, Derby and erm Milton Keynes?).

Of course, when Metro and TFM were networked the news cues had to be changed. Or they could have had split jingles or voice links. They might yet do this, who knows?

It's called production and it's nothing new.

I notice that you've ignored the point I made about Spotify's impact on traditional radio advertising revenue. Do you have any thought about that?
  • NewbieBen12NewbieBen12 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Unsurprisingly no more Anna Foster & Clive Warren on the Sunday morning 'local' slots. Shame.
  • Rozzi RainbowRozzi Rainbow Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Wow, I have just found this thread so only just realised the full extent of what has happened to TFM! I feel really sad that's it's effectively no more. I grew up with TFM always being my local station, and used to near enough pass the station every week on my way to college. Somehow having a Newcastle station as 'local' doesn't seem quite right.

I was on holiday last week, so only realised it was all different this week - at first I thought my analogue radio was giving me the next station along on Monday morning because of the bad weather, when I didn't know either of the DJs. Then when I still got the same the rest of the week, I just assumed they'd had a switch around and changed which DJs present which shows. But I was confused as to why the traffic and travel number is now an 0191 number.

I'm never a fan of change, and it always takes me a while to get used to the new DJs when they change (I still miss Graham Mack in the morning and the headline game) but so far I don't like this new breakfast show. I don't like the 'Lock Up' game as you can't really join in with it, I really liked Wayne and Amy's Yummy Mummy game.

It's awful if all the TFM presenters have just got the sack. I might switch over to another station now, see if I can find anything better to listen to in the morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in a little while if you switch to Star Radio you may here a couple of ex TFM pRESenters on there in the near future!! I think that's the closest you're going to get to hearing some of the old TFM.
  • 96.6TFM-Sean96.6TFM-Sean Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Wow, I have just found this thread so only just realised the full extent of what has happened to TFM! I feel really sad that's it's effectively no more. I grew up with TFM always being my local station, and used to near enough pass the station every week on my way to college. Somehow having a Newcastle station as 'local' doesn't seem quite right.

I was on holiday last week, so only realised it was all different this week - at first I thought my analogue radio was giving me the next station along on Monday morning because of the bad weather, when I didn't know either of the DJs. Then when I still got the same the rest of the week, I just assumed they'd had a switch around and changed which DJs present which shows. But I was confused as to why the traffic and travel number is now an 0191 number.

I'm never a fan of change, and it always takes me a while to get used to the new DJs when they change (I still miss Graham Mack in the morning and the headline game) but so far I don't like this new breakfast show. I don't like the 'Lock Up' game as you can't really join in with it, I really liked Wayne and Amy's Yummy Mummy game.

It's awful if all the TFM presenters have just got the sack. I might switch over to another station now, see if I can find anything better to listen to in the morning.

The presenters only found out on the Friday. The breakfast show end, with talk of Amelia Lilley being in on Monday. Then at 10am the Sation went into automation. They had a meeting and were told as Monday, they station was being merged with Metro. The rest of the weekend was just no. Stop music and promos for The New TFM. Totally shocking even for the radio biz in this country.
    Forum Member
    The presenters only found out on the Friday. .

Legally, I find that hard to believe.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unsurprisingly no more Anna Foster & Clive Warren on the Sunday morning 'local' slots. Shame.

Anna Foster is a terrible broadcaster but Tim Lichfield is ultimate local radio cheese. He's awful. Can't see Metro listeners liking him
    Forum Member

It's happens all the time. The move was kept under wraps. Check the local news stories .. To see it from in black and white.

As long as you pay people for the lack of notice ... Its legal or I this case pay them for the rest of their contracts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's happens all the time. The move was kept under wraps. Check the local news stories .. To see it from in black and white.

As long as you pay people for the lack of notice ... Its legal or I this case pay them for the rest of their contracts.

It happens in major corporations/PLC's which Bauer are.

As Sean correctly said, as long as full notice and due holidays are paid you don't have to give any notice to the employee
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Anna Foster is a terrible broadcaster but Tim Lichfield is ultimate local radio cheese. He's awful. Can't see Metro listeners liking him

How do you think this? I listen to her show on Magic 1152 most mornings on the way to work and she has callers on the air, has a laugh with them, and sounds like a really fun presenter that can hold her own.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you think this? I listen to her show on Magic 1152 most mornings on the way to work and she has callers on the air, has a laugh with them, and sounds like a really fun presenter that can hold her own.....

Most of my experience comes from her during her breakfast stint with Horne .

Never liked her tbh and I dislike the Magic show too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member

Well start believing. Nothing wrong with taking them off air, they will all still be being paid right now. Contracts will be ended and notice given, see it as like gardening leave.

It will not of been, you have no job bye. It will of been don't come in Monday, but we will pay your contract up, or given notice, legally.
    Forum Member
    Sean Park wrote: »
    Well start believing. Nothing wrong with taking them off air, they will all still be being paid right now. Contracts will be ended and notice given, see it as like gardening leave.

It will not of been, you have no job bye. It will of been don't come in Monday, but we will pay your contract up, or given notice, legally.

Yes, you've told me twice now. Thanks.
  • Rozzi RainbowRozzi Rainbow Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    I think in a little while if you switch to Star Radio you may here a couple of ex TFM pRESenters on there in the near future!! I think that's the closest you're going to get to hearing some of the old TFM.

Funny you should have said this as I ended up listening to Star this morning when I looked for another station. I liked it then, so I'm going to give it a try next week to see if I like their breakfast show. Would be interesting if some ex TFMers do end up there.
  • nobjockeynobjockey Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not really, Star doesn't cover most of TFM's area (it's main areas are Durham/Darlington/Bishop Aukland/Northallerton) it cannot be received in TFM's main belt of Stockton, Middlesbrough and the rest of Teesside.

The music and presentation is also vastly different, currently it sounds more like a 90s ilr than anything to my ears. Not a bad listen, but very different to TFM of recent years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Believe it, breakfast automated their final few links are staff were brought into a meeting before 10am to be told the news.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »

Tim has worked for some of the biggest stations in the country including Capital FM and BRMB, if he was that bad he wouldn't have worked for stations of that calibre.
  • radio ladradio lad Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    nobjockey wrote: »
    Believe it, breakfast automated their final few links are staff were brought into a meeting before 10am to be told the news.

In the local paper on the following Monday Tom Davies was listed as covering Tim as he was on holiday, was he really booked for this slot or was it a 'cover' for for what was happening days before ? Also when where Metro presenters told of the 'merge' as they would have to be briefed about how to operate things from the Monday, weeks?, days ? There was a trailer playing very shortly after 10am with Steve and Karen stating we are on Tfm from Monday.
    Forum Member
    radio lad wrote: »
    In the local paper on the following Monday Tom Davies was listed as covering Tim as he was on holiday, was he really booked for this slot or was it a 'cover' for for what was happening days before ? Also when where Metro presenters told of the 'merge' as they would have to be briefed about how to operate things from the Monday, weeks?, days ? There was a trailer playing very shortly after 10am with Steve and Karen stating we are on Tfm from Monday.

I understand that people were told in Metro land - but we're advised it was confidential. Happens all the time. Staff having to keep stuff under wraps from coworkers.

I believe Tom would have been booked, and most likely paid
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    The problem is the risk of telling people they're off and then putting them back in front of a microphone ... there's been many an instance of that going wrong over the years, not just Danny Baker.

Harsh as it sounds times change, we now have an incredibly huge amount of choice in all forms of media and the argument for enforcing ultra-local radio no longer stacks up. These are no longer licences to print money. (some of them, of course, never were)

Bauer is a commercial business and if it reckons it can make more money within the broadcasting regulations without damaging its relationship with advertisers then it is almost compelled to do so. Sad but true.

I'd be amazed if Bauer stops here. While I can't imagine a wholesale merger of stations throughout the country, there are some that in the new climate don't, to me, make much sense. I'd be amazed if West FM is still going in five years' time, for example.
    Forum Member
    I just cannot stand Steve and Karen. I would imagine most of the TFM audience can't either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's why there's an off button on your radio!!:D