If we believe that this is all there is?

Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Then why do we try so hard to create good memories of situations in our lives?
When people are dying and their time is limited, why do they want to tick things off of their bucket list? For when they are dead and gone, their memory ceases to exist. So why does any of it matter?

Comments

• lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you believe that life is all that there is, then you try to make the best of what you can out of your life and enjoy the happy memories that are created.

If you believe there is more after death, and say believe in God, you thank him for all those good things. :)

Simple really. :)
  • Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    If you believe that life is all that there is, then you try to make the best of what you can out of your life and enjoy the happy memories that are created.

If you believe there is more after death, and say believe in God, you thank him for all those good things. :)

Simple really. :)

If it's the end of your life, then memories won't be needed, if you believe there's nothing after.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ada Rabble wrote: »
    If it's the end of your life, then memories won't be needed, if you believe there's nothing after.

So what's the alternative? Not be happy? Be miserable for the rest of your life?
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When people are dying and their time is limited, why do they want to tick things off of their bucket list? For when they are dead and gone, their memory ceases to exist. So why does any of it matter?
    Memories are precious to that individual at the time.
    I read about a lady in the newspaper, she wanted to get married but not officialy married, she wanted to experience being special, a bride just for the day, her groom was a model just hired for the day but it was so special to her.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Memories are what keep some people warm at night. Aswell as a blanket, obviously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    So what's the alternative? Not be happy? Be miserable for the rest of your life?

I'm not sure. Well, obviously not to be miserable, but tear arseing about, making a huge effort to do certain things seems a bit pointless.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member

I'm not entirely sure I understand the point you're trying to make.

I don't think people seek out certain experiences purely to add them to a collection of memories - and the way the vast majority live has little or nothing to do with a belief, or lack of belief, in life after death.

In general, people want to enjoy themselves and make the most of their lives. Most of us live in the moment and life is a series of moments. Some are good and some are bad, but we only plan the good ones.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it really just about the memories though?

There are loads of things I'd like to do before I died. For me it isn't about the memories doing those things will give me......It's about living them.
  • YijanYijan Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    women are particularly good at hoarding memories and dragging those of us who want to get on with our lives into them
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,830
    Forum Member
    If you think this ain't enough you ain't doing it properly. :D
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure. Well, obviously not to be miserable, but tear arseing about, making a huge effort to do certain things seems a bit pointless.
    We are driven by nature to promote our genes. For some it meant conquering nations and building empires. For others it means making sure the kids are safe and everyone is alive and fed each day. The rest of us are somewhere in the middle. We strive for "better" in whatever form that takes. We take pride in our achievements and the legacy we hand on. What's your problem with that exactly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure I understand the point you're trying to make.

I don't think people seek out certain experiences purely to add them to a collection of memories - and the way the vast majority live has little or nothing to do with a belief, or lack of belief, in life after death.

In general, people want to enjoy themselves and make the most of their lives. Most of us live in the moment and life is a series of moments. Some are good and some are bad, but we only plan the good ones.
    Is it really just about the memories though?

There are loads of things I'd like to do before I died. For me it isn't about the memories doing those things will give me......It's about living them.
    I can glimmer a glimpse into what you're saying.
    Perhaps my despondency level has just tipped too far.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, for most people, it's about helping other people have good memories. Particularly if someone is dying you would want your loved ones to have good memories, atleast it would be something to comfort them when you're gone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, for most people, it's about helping other people have good memories. Particularly if someone is dying you would want your loved ones to have good memories, atleast it would be something to comfort them when you're gone.

I guess that's the difference towards a selfish person or not.
    Life is so fleeting, so fruitless. Or on the other side so precious and enriching.
    What a life changing difference an attitude can make.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I expect it's more about enjoying the experience than the memory.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    If this life is all there is, and that is certainly what I think, then the only meaning and purpose that there can be is what we make of it whilst we are still hear, and what we leave to those we leave behind.

Personally, I find that rather comforting. The idea that this is just a trial run for something else horrifies me.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You get to see your best bits during an NDE so the more good memories the better.

Go out on a high.
  • greendayfan6greendayfan6 Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is really confusing and I have no idea what your asking!
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are they doing it to create memories - or are they doing it for the immediate experience - and the memories (no matter how temporary) are just an added bonus?

When I do something exciting - I'm not motivated to do it by the thought that i'll be able to remember how exciting it was 10 years later. I want to do it because its exciting now.

The memories are simply a nice bonus because I may not be able to do it again
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    We are driven by nature to promote our genes.

Except the ones who don't want to have kids

For some it meant conquering nations and building empires

But what is in it for the person who will ultimately die even if they manage to do it?
    For others it means making sure the kids are safe and everyone is alive and fed each day.

Nice, but why should we when life is a dog eat dog existence?
    The rest of us are somewhere in the middle.
    We strive for "better" in whatever form that takes. We take pride in our achievements and the legacy we hand on. What's your problem with that exactly?

This is more in the area that the OP was talking about IMO.

I am very much a don't give a toss and what's the point group of people. Yes I can get a great education, hundreds of qualifications and then years later I die, what was the point?

I can become a millionaire, I die, the money doesn't go with me, what was the point?

And so forth.

For some reason some people seem to have this need to "achieve" something by which to get recognition but is there any point?
    Some people have to do lots and lots in their alloted time, often causing themself other problems such as debt, stress, unhappiness in other parts of their lives, just to justify "having a good life."

I think life is a pointless waste of time. I could win £100 million and I will still think life is a total waste of time. The difference? I now don't have money worries and can pay my bills for the rest of my life. Am i a better person as I now have money? Nope. Does my life have value if I can now travel, afford expensive things etc? Nope. If i give it all to charity am I a better person? Nope.

Will anything I do after winning the money make my life any less pointless? Nope. I was born, I lived, I died, what a total waste of time it all is.

I frustrate so many people with my mentality about life. Nobody yet has been able to give me a reason why any of it really matters.
    Does our lives have any more value than say a rabbit, a duck, a worm? They are born, they live, they die. They don't judge how good their lives are by their achievements.
    I think I can safely say that there is not a single worm on this planet that is going to die thinking it's a failure as it's never been hot air ballooning, had a career and promotions, or travelled the world.

Humans are the only race that measure the quality of life based on lots of things they have done or didn't do.
    If it doesn't matter to animals, why is it so important to humans? Who really cares?
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^ I think you've got some serious issues and need to talk to a health care professional as soon as possible. This isn't me being flippant. I'm honestly concerned for your welfare. Go talk to the Doc. You need help.

I'd answer the specific points you raised, but I don't think you're in the right frame of mind to look at the positive aspects of the discussion. Go get some help.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    If it doesn't matter to animals, why is it so important to humans? Who really cares?

Two things.

Humans are animals but we've evolved to think and they more or less haven't, so it's a circular argument about importance. I'll change my mind when a cat or dog posts on DS:GD.

The OP thinks in terms of the end result so from that PoV it's all pointless, but dead people don't have a PoV, only living people do. Living people do what makes most sense to them in the present. If you ask what is the point of fun, you also have to ask why care about pain?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think it's all about making memories. It's mostly designed to help them to be more accepting towards the idea of leaving this world before their time. When they feel they have succeeded with their lists of achievements within a period of time, they may feel they can now move on. It'd help their loved ones to cope better as well. It's part of making peace.

I strongly believe not having that chance is the reason why the parents of my school room-mate took so long to get over her death. I think they would be more at peace with it if they felt she was given a good chance to revise her plans and achieve her short-term wish list accordingly.

When she was alive, she had already planned her life out. It was all laid out on her wall in our room, for goodness sake. A levels: Geography, English, Science and Biology. University: blah blah. A research job with a biomedical research centre in Switzerland. A list of companies she hoped to work for. A list of countries and landmarks she would like to visit. I made fun of her wanting to visit Graceland, but she loved being a huge Elvis fan. Thirty years' worth of planning on that wall, and she was only 14. She was one of the handful at school who knew exactly where they were going. But alas, she unexpectedly died during a school break when she was 15.

It's not just losing her that devastated her parents and some of our teachers. It's knowing that she never had a chance to realise all these ambitions that hurt. If she was dying with enough time to make some smaller ambitions come true, such as visiting Graceland, I believe her parents would cope with her death a bit better.