Options

People misspelling your name

RedRose9191RedRose9191 Posts: 748
Forum Member
✭✭
How often do people misspell your name?

It happens to me quite a lot, though I will admit in my case it's understandable. My name is more commonly spelt with a G, however mine is spelt with a J. Why my parents chose to do that I will never understand, though my dad has said that he thought that a J spelling was the more "modern" way of spelling my name. What makes it worse is that I have an unusual surname so people always misspell that too, so I'm used to have my full name spelt incorrectly on a regular basis.

It actually doesn't bother me most of the time, it's only when people have my name written in front of them yet still spell it wrong, like in an e-mail. I actually have a certificate from a course I did at school with both my first name and surname spelled incorrect. Everyone in my year group got one, so surely you'd think they would have had the correct spelling of my name in front of them if they were going off the school register?:confused:

How often do people spell your name wrong? Do you bother to correct it or just leave it?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Mine isn't even hard, Michaela, yet every rota at work, or school register I've been put down as Michael haha.
  • Options
    KathySparkKathySpark Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It bugs me when people I know well spell my name with a C instead of a K. I dont mind with people I dont know well as they have no way of knowing from just hearing my name. I have worked for my current boss for 7 years and have told him several times that its Kathy with a K, but he still puts Cathy down. Bugs me a bit when I send emails out and sign them Kathy and they reply back Hi Cathy.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Although my surname is common and fairly short, there are two variant spellings so it does happen from time to time.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    Although my surname is common and fairly short, there are two variant spellings so it does happen from time to time.

Me too. I have to correct people and tell them it's only one M.
  • Options
    cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KathySpark wrote: »
    It bugs me when people I know well spell my name with a C instead of a K. I dont mind with people I dont know well as they have no way of knowing from just hearing my name. I have worked for my current boss for 7 years and have told him several times that its Kathy with a K, but he still puts Cathy down. Bugs me a bit when I send emails out and sign them Kathy and they reply back Hi Cathy.

Mine is similar, but to be honest it doesn't really annoy me. What gets me more is being called Caroline or Christine rather than incorrect spelling.

Both my maiden name and married names are unusual and always misspelt.
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I've got an unusual surname so I'm used to it. What's more, the pronunciation isn't obvious, so I'm used to hearing a garbled spoken version. It doesn't bother me.

But I do know that many people hate to see their names misspelt, especially in a formal document, so I do try to get it right myself. Something my boss totally fails to understand - there are no laws of average on this, she always gets it wrong even though it clearly annoys people.
  • Options
    RedRose9191RedRose9191 Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just thought of something else - with my name spelt the way it is, it actually looks quite similar to two other names so I've had people call me by either one of those names by mistake if they're reading it out.
  • Options
    KathySparkKathySpark Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My granny was called Kate and was a real dragon, so if anybody dares call me Kate I just dont answer.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My surname is not unusual, but the spelling is, so I just spell it out whenever I'm asked for it to save time later:)
  • Options
    YijanYijan Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I think its a bit out of order if people do my name wrong. They've made me the subject of the email or whatever. At least have the decency to get my name right, otherwise its an epic fail
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm used to all the misspellings and pronunciations - it's an odd name, so I blame no one. The dogdgiest I've had was in an airport years ago where they managed to take my surname and make a clear East Asian first name and surname out of it. I was there with friends and none of them knew the airline meant me either. I held the plane up for hours while all of us passengers stared around the hall wondering where the East Asian girl was.

It was stranger than if they'd announced they were looking for a 'Joe Ness' and my surname was Jones.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    My first name can be spelt with or without an "e" on the end, so I always have to spell it out or say "with an e". My married surname and maiden name also both require spelling.

Also, one of my sons is called Michael, and the number of times that people spell it Micheal drives me mad.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    My first name can be spelt with one "e" or 2, i have 2. My surname usually nobody ever get right.
  • Options
    kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My name, Debra, is misspelt Deborah now and then, but its more annoying when people call me Debbie automatically, assuming that I don't mind. I do.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's constant.

My first name is very often, well always mispronounced, my last name has two parts and both of these are misspelt and the last one mispronounced as well.

My middle name is straightforward, but I don't really use it.
  • Options
    alijalij Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    My surname is relatively easy to spell as it is a regular word as well, but people always want to add an extra e for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My name is really common but one person I know constantly spells it wrong, even on Facebook when the correct spelling was right there in front of her! She's not the sharpest tool in the shed. :)
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People always used to misspell my Mum's maiden name. It was Selfe and people used to write South.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I think almost all people spell my name correctly.

Pronunciation however, a fair few people get it wrong; it rarely bothers me though.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My entire name is difficult as F, I'd be more surprised if someone were to spell it correctly.

My surname breaks people out into a cold sweat, it's 14 letters long with two Rs, two Is, two Ss, two Os.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    My entire name is difficult as F, I'd be more surprised if someone were to spell it correctly.

My surname breaks people out into a colds weat, it's 14 letters long with two Rs, two Is, two Ss, two Os...

I know the feeling.

I don't really get annoyed, I just automatically spell it out.

I get cheesed at the constant mispronunciation of my first name, when I've said it over and over, and even given people a small joke to help them remember.

Never mind.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My surname is 'conlon' and has to be spelt out to everyone who asks it. Ive been
    -collins
    -colon
    -mr C. Lynn
    Mr Con Lynn
    Conlan

and many others. Pisses me off no end
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not very often - I have a common first name and a surname that's only 4 letters.

Even so, I very recently had to return a certificate I got for a tedious training course at work because they misspelled my surname.
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Its not really misspelling its mispronunciation of it. Spelt Latham and they say laff-am where it should be lay-fum really gets annoying especially when you correct them and they still say it wrong.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had my name spelt wrong loads of times because there's more than one way of spelling it. Doesn't really bother me though, someone got the spelling wrong on facebook recently and a friend felt the need to point it out to the person so maybe it bothered him a lot more than it does me! People usually spell my sister's name wrong, they add all sorts of letters to it. Even Geoffrey from Rainbow spelt it wrong when she got his autograph years ago. :D