Why has there never been a UK version of The Amazing Race?

FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It seems like a show that ITV would've snapped up the second they had the chance. It's very popular in the US and is one of the longest running shows over there, and the format of it could be used in any country, anywhere, as you travel to different countries each episode.

Maybe they aren't willing to give 1mil away for a reality tv show, but surely they could lower the prize fund and still have the show?

Comments

• The Face of BoeThe Face of Boe Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. It's a show I have been watching since way back in Season 5, and during those years I have introduced many people to it.. (mainly through a drinking game I developed based on it) the feedback has been wholly positive, and one of the main questions I get asked is where can they watch it on TV. Therefore its a shame, that its no longer on Sky and also a shame that there is no UK version, especially given some of the rubbish that passes as entertainment these days.. :)
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been several other international versions of the race. Britain hasn't joined the franchise though there has been the occaisonal attempt to do something similar (if not exactly the same).

There was one just two years ago, I saw an episode set in Thailand on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5nb7HvZyGA). It was dire. They used an Amazing Race task in it as well, but all the drama was sucked out of it with our typically pointless insistence that the presenter must be ever present speaking to us and even alongside the contestants all the time, even making feeble attempts at funny comments.
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    The UK has done its own version of The Amazing Race.

Titled The Race it was presented by Keith Duffy and was one of the shows that launched ITV2.

Youtube even has a clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYtoP8SqV90
  • elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too love the show. I think the reason there's never been a prime time adaption is because I can imagine it costs an awful lot to produce and there's no phone revenue in it for someone like ITV (who have been reluctant to run major reality shows without the phone element since Survivor sadly flopped).

It must be very logistically challenging to film and organise and I'm not sure any of our channels are willing to take the risk. I also think part of the attraction that wouldn't translate as well is the natural competitiveness of the Americans. Brits wouldn't treat it the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe channels here do have that kind of defeatest, cheapo and bland attitude now....and that's why we have tedious game shows/reality shows now. The fact that this show and Survivor have been big successes across several countries would make it clear to anyone with a brain that they can be successul if given a decent production. They used to be more adventurous on British TV but in the last five years or more it's got much more bland.
  • SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Survivor UK was a flop on ITV around 12 years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh that was when it was still in its infancy, I don't really like the early US version of Survivor either.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can't that expensive if low rent cable channels can make versions
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    It can't that expensive if low rent cable channels can make versions

Low rent cable? Which low rent cable channels are you on about?
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, but I promise I'll do everything in my power to be on it if it ever does! :p
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Low rent cable? Which low rent cable channels are you on about?

The one in France
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved that one, I think they only did one season. :(
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    Survivor UK was a flop on ITV around 12 years ago.

It did ok, certainly not a flop. It was the cost against the ad revenue that stopped it getting a third series.

The BBC also tried something along the same lines of a TAR called Drop Zone a few years back. However it had clearly been done on a budget. As well have already seen with ITV2 if you trip TAR back too much to save costs you lose the feeling of the show
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    There have been several other international versions of the race. Britain hasn't joined the franchise though there has been the occaisonal attempt to do something similar (if not exactly the same).

There was one just two years ago, I saw an episode set in Thailand on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5nb7HvZyGA). It was dire. They used an Amazing Race task in it as well, but all the drama was sucked out of it with our typically pointless insistence that the presenter must be ever present speaking to us and even alongside the contestants all the time, even making feeble attempts at funny comments.

Actually I really liked Drop Zone, and it was a pity they never made more than 1 series, I think due to timing issues it was late on the scene, and this meant a Sunday afternoon slot, not the Saturday evening one originally intended.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Costs are prohibitive for a UK channel. TAR actually isn't that global compared with the likes of Survivor, DWTS, Big Brother because it has such a high cost and logistical issues.

A channel in the UK would take a massive risk attempting TAR as it could flop and the channel would be out of pocket big time.

Also the likes of ITV likes it shows to be celebrity based, look at how Im a Celeb was more successful than Survivor despite its dreadful format in comparison. BBC couldn't justify the cost of TAR, C5 wouldn't have the funds and it doesn't really fit with C4 nowadays.

There really just isn't a place for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally disagree. You could have a tour company sponsoring it, like happened in the US version, or an airline. They have helped fund it in some versions by having such adverts within the show. The prize doesn't have to be a million at the end, that cuts the cost straight away. If terrestrial channels are too cheapskate maybe Sky could do it.
  • HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally disagree. You could have a tour company sponsoring it, like happened in the US version, or an airline. They have helped fund it in some versions by having such adverts within the show. The prize doesn't have to be a million at the end, that cuts the cost straight away. If terrestrial channels are too cheapskate maybe Sky could do it.

I don't think Sky would want it after the US show flopped over here. I remember watching the first season on Sky 1 and half way through the season they started showing it at 2am.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The recent product placement rule changes would help but our rules are still much more prohibitive on what can be done. Just look at TAR, its not just the Travelocity that does Product Placement in it, there's the airlines, travel companies and tourist attractions to name a few that have been listed in the credits. Even Liverpool FC were listed as having paid for their club appearing in the last season. I wouldn't be surprised if the tourist boards of some of these countries are also making payments.

And remember the UK is a smaller country than the US so both the ad revenue and product placement income is much lower but the production costs would be the same
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    The recent product placement rule changes would help but our rules are still much more prohibitive on what can be done. Just look at TAR, its not just the Travelocity that does Product Placement in it, there's the airlines, travel companies and tourist attractions to name a few that have been listed in the credits. Even Liverpool FC were listed as having paid for their club appearing in the last season. I wouldn't be surprised if the tourist boards of some of these countries are also making payments.

And remember the UK is a smaller country than the US so both the ad revenue and product placement income is much lower but the production costs would be the same

But bigger or as big as other countries who have had the race such as Norway, France, Australia, Ukraine, Israel.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Australia has an economic boom and Ukraine has money when needs be, every year they get quite a big name to guest judge the Miss Ukraine pageant, I remember it was Paris Hilton one year who wouldn't come cheap. Its also likely France, Norway and Israel were big watchers of TAR US anyway I know it was big in Australia. Its unknown in UK.

What airline in the UK would have the money to sponsor it or even travel company? I can't see Thomas Cook shelling out on an untested format such a large amount.

The amount of product placement is crazy on TAR, remember how often they kept referring to that stupid Ford Ranger when in Iceland. Every year there is some song and dance about whatever the next type of Ford car is out at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're incredibly pessimistic and think this country is far less rich than it actually is. It is still one of the biggest economies in the world - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29.

The fact that channels have kept doing weaker versions of the race instead of the real thing shows clearly that they think there is a market for this type of show. They just need to give people the real thing instead of the watered down version they have offered so far.

Maybe you just don't like the show, but at its best it has been very popular in more countries than you would like to admit.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're incredibly pessimistic and think this country is far less rich than it actually is. It is still one of the biggest economies in the world - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29.

The fact that channels have kept doing weaker versions of the race instead of the real thing shows clearly that they think there is a market for this type of show. They just need to give people the real thing instead of the watered down version they have offered so far.

Maybe you just don't like the show, but at its best it has been very popular in more countries than you would like to admit.

.....but looking at the facts about it being successful in the UK:

The sky showings of the American versions did not perform well, being bumped to 2am.
    The similar versions shown in the UK have not done very well on any of the terrestrial or digital only channels.
    The UK does not appear to like shows that they have no direct influence in (a whole raft of shows that have under performed compared to "voting" shows e.g. Survivor, The Mole)
    The last time ITV attempted a big American show, Survivor, it was not the runaway success that ITV had hoped.

So i am afraid regardless of how well it is has done in other markets it is very unlikely a UK version of the show will be made, no matter how much you bleat on about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However much others may wish to bleat on about it having no chance, that's more because of narrow minded people in TV rather than the format. There's a great lack of initiative and vision here. thus the amount of cooking/property/idol shows and general laziness over the last 10 years causing the stagnation of the reality format TV here.

Similar versions have not done well because they have been watered down rubbish as I already explained but you seem to have missed
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However much others may wish to bleat on about it having no chance, that's more because of narrow minded people in TV rather than the format. There's a great lack of initiative and vision here. thus the amount of cooking/property/idol shows and general laziness over the last 10 years causing the stagnation of the reality format TV here.

Similar versions have not done well because they have been watered down rubbish as I already explained but you seem to have missed

Did you miss this point:

"The sky showings of the American versions did not perform well, being bumped to 2am."

It didn't even do well enough to match their (probably quite low) expectations to keep hold of its original time slot. This was the US version so would not have been "watered down rubbish" so what is your excuse this time?

So your solution to "general laziness over the last 10 years" is to copy formats from elsewhere? Seems even lazier to me when new reality shows have been launched successfully in the UK just that they have not been TAR and have been newer concepts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've copied successful game shows very successfully from America in the past, or maybe you have a short memory. People can see all the US versions on the internet it's better to create a new version with British contestants that people can identify with more I think that's pretty obvious. Your excuses seem pretty weak. What great reality shows have been launched in recent times here?