Options

Liz Kendall for leader

Comments

• Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    The Burnham fans are spreading lies about her already, and now Prescott has backed Burnham along with Kinnock (lol), if you need any more reason to vote for Liz.

What lies are being spread?
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Nice legs, she will do. :D
    The last Labour leader had no legs, so it's a promising start.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too now, which is odd as I was all for someone of 2010 previously. However only Andy is saying stuff I believe in. Stuff that New Labour was all about and that's what they need to revisit, Its odd Andy is seen as the Union candidate as well given he is very much speaking like Blair mid 90s right now. He isn't a total Leftie like Ed was at all. Unlike what some on here keep saying.

Liz is right on a lot of things but while it is true Labour needs to be more at the centre they must not wander off to the right, which I fear is where she is going wrong and its no wonder Tory supporters are praising her! This country doesn't need two Tory parties and we don't want one! the point of opposition is to offer something different and an alternative view.

Its worth remembering 9 million people voted Labour and 11 Tory but stats from Mori suggest 3 million or more Labour voters just didn't vote on the day for what ever reason. So if you count out the lost voters and then add in those who allegedly didn't turn up to even vote, Labour support could be as high as 15 million now. Which seems pretty much astounding that the voters were out there but just didn't come in.. I purely put this lazy voting down to Ed more than anything. So Labour has the support there, They just need someone who can get them driven enough to vote them back into power. Dan Jarvis would have done this and I'm 100% confident he will be Prime Minister one day but right now its only Andy I see offering a new direction for Labour that can appeal to the lost and lazy voters.
    New Labour in 1997 did not get 15 million votes and doubt they ever will. For me its about electing a leader who is creditable for 2020 but its 2025 that is the prize.
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    What lies are being spread?

That she smashed a phone in her temper which she outright denied today, and of course the usual 'DONT VOTE FOR HER SHE'S THE SAME AS BLAIR' when she's far from it, more liberal/centerist if anything.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,432
    Forum Member
    That she smashed a phone in her temper which she outright denied today, and of course the usual 'DONT VOTE FOR HER SHE'S THE SAME AS BLAIR' when she's far from it, more liberal/centerist if anything.

We know where that's coming from and no morally bankrupt trade union fixer should be allowed to prevail through smears and rigging:
    LABOUR was pitched into a bitter civil war last night amid claims that unions are trying to “hijack” the leadership election, bulldoze the Blairites out of the way and install their preferred candidate, Andy Burnham.

Jim Murphy quit as Scottish leader with an outspoken attack on Len McCluskey, the general secretary of the Unite union, accusing him of “destructive behaviour” and trying to “pick” Ed Miliband’s successor.

Murphy spoke out as Labour MPs broke cover to denounce the leadership rules as worthy of “a banana republic” and accused union allies in parliament of “bullying” MPs into backing Burnham rather than Blairite contender Liz Kendall.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1557361.ece

I hope that McCluskey's malignant machinations backfire especially now that it's a one member, one vote election.
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Well the phone story has backfired for me if it was intended as a smear. It makes me like her more if true. :D I think Labour could do with a strong and feisty battleaxe right now. I'd love to see her VS Cameron in PMQs!
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,432
    Forum Member
    Boyard wrote: »
    Well the phone story has backfired for me if it was intended as a smear. It makes me like her more if true. :D I think Labour could do with a strong and feisty battleaxe right now. I'd love to see her VS Cameron in PMQs!

That would actually generate a dilemma for Cameron and his successor, Osborne. Do they do the usual nasty personal attacks on her like they did with Miliband and risk being shown up as ungentlemanly bar stewards with resultant reputational damage or go easy on her and risk being bested in public?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/andy-burnham-claims-rent-for-flat-moments-away-from-another-he-already-owns-10273311.html

Andy Burnham claims £17,000 a year in rent for London flat – despite owning another that's walking distance from Westminster.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,192
    Forum Member
    Labour must have a death wish if they vote this bat lady in as leader. They might as well vote Tory and be done with it.
  • Options
    Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    From The Independent - Obscurity Could be Liz Kendall's Trump Card . Plus no baggage from Blair & Brown

http://independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/john-rentoul/labour-leadership-contest-obscurity--could-be-liz-kendalls-trump-card-10272597.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Labour must have a death wish if they vote this bat lady in as leader. They might as well vote Tory and be done with it.

Labour won three elections on centre ground, Burnham will not win Labour an election.
  • Options
    AristaeusAristaeus Posts: 9,974
    Forum Member
    Barney06 wrote: »
    From The Independent - Obscurity Could be Liz Kendall's Trump Card . Plus no baggage from Blair & Brown

http://independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/john-rentoul/labour-leadership-contest-obscurity--could-be-liz-kendalls-trump-card-10272597.html

What baggage? Blair won 3 elections on the trot.
  • Options
    AristaeusAristaeus Posts: 9,974
    Forum Member
    Labour won three elections on centre ground, Burnham will not win Labour an election.

Burnham is pretty centrist.

And actually, so was Ed. He was only called red Ed because it rhymed.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aristaeus wrote: »
    What baggage? Blair won 3 elections on the trot.

And for many, was tainted by the Iraq War, as well as the expansion of PFIs etc
  • Options
    Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chucka Umunna backing Liz Kendall
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would actually generate a dilemma for Cameron and his successor, Osborne.

Off topic: no way Osborne will beat Johnson. He challenges Milliband Junior for the personality of an amoeba.

Back on topic.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Burnham won't win them an election but I still think the grassroots will vote for him as most of them are living in the delusion that the party lost because it wasn't left wing enough. They need to go through at least one more defeat for them to come to their senses.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    ]
    Its worth remembering 9 million people voted Labour and 11 Tory but stats from Mori suggest 3 million or more Labour voters just didn't vote on the day for what ever reason. So if you count out the lost voters and then add in those who allegedly didn't turn up to even vote, Labour support could be as high as 15 million now. Which seems pretty much astounding that the voters were out there but just didn't come in.. I purely put this lazy voting down to Ed more than anything. So Labour has the support there, They just need someone who can get them driven enough to vote them back into power. Dan Jarvis would have done this and I'm 100% confident he will be Prime Minister one day but right now its only Andy I see offering a new direction for Labour that can appeal to the lost and lazy voters.

No government in UK election history has ever got 15m votes - the highest vote for any PM was John Major in 1992 and he got just over 14m. Harold Wilson got 11.4m in October 1974 - the next Labour leader to beat that was Tony Blair in 1997 when he got 13.5m - it has not been matched since by any Labour leader by 2015 the Labour vote was down to 9.3m.

Harold Wilson got 12.2m in 1964
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Burnham won't win them an election but I still think the grassroots will vote for him as most of them are living in the delusion that the party lost because it wasn't left wing enough. They need to go through at least one more defeat for them to come to their senses.
    I see that you're not one for sweeping generalisations then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chuka backs Kendall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not The New Statesman endorsing her:
    Why we are endorsing Liz Kendall for the Labour leadership

Chuka Umunna, Emma Reynolds, Stephen Twigg and Jonathan Reynolds - Chuka Umunna's leadership team - explain why they're backing Liz Kendall's campaign for the Labour leadership.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think that's just a letter from senior mps endorsing her not the magazine itself endorsing her?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My bad.

Oops my bad too just spotted your subsequent post! :D