Retail Workers - What do customers do that annoys you? (Part 2)

Comments

• Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the womans a sandwich short of a picnic, she wouldnt have liked it if he had retaliated and smacked her back in the mouth.

Hopefully shes been banned from the whole shopping centre.
  • cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the womans a sandwich short of a picnic, she wouldnt have liked it if he had retaliated and smacked her back in the mouth.

Hopefully shes been banned from the whole shopping centre.

I must say I like that analogy.

I'm back in first thing tomorrow morning, so i'll report as to whether the old bean has graced the centre with her presence.
    Let's put it this way...you can't miss her. She wears a tea cosy style hat.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    :eek: b*tch!!! sorry people it had to be said. you can't just go smacking kids around especially if they are actually behaving themselves

No idea how old this kid was but presumably secondary school age because he's making his own way to school but no-one would have done that to me at school age, without getting a mouthful back or a response in kind. Fair enough getting an earful if you're doing something wrong but if you're doing nothing wrong what the hell is wrong with these people?

If the boot was on the other foot the lady would no doubt be screaming merry hell for years about how the youth have no respect. Obviously there's a way to treat people but still respect works both ways and has to be earned to a degree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ForestChav wrote: »
    No idea how old this kid was but presumably secondary school age because he's making his own way to school but no-one would have done that to me at school age, without getting a mouthful back or a response in kind. Fair enough getting an earful if you're doing something wrong but if you're doing nothing wrong what the hell is wrong with these people?

If the boot was on the other foot the lady would no doubt be screaming merry hell for years about how the youth have no respect. Obviously there's a way to treat people but still respect works both ways and has to be earned to a degree.

If you know Glasgow, and specifically the Springburn area...then you'll know some people around there don't need a reason ;)

The boy was in secondary school yes...around 13/14 I would say. He was quite small for his age however, but I still commend him for not retaliating.
    We (me & colleagues) didn't hold our tongues however when she did lash out. She appeared startled that we gave her a b*llocking for what she did.
    For some reason, i'm guessing she was expecting us to take her side because "she's old".
    Bullsh*t...she's a violent old hag.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    If you know Glasgow, and specifically the Springburn area...then you'll know some people around there don't need a reason ;)

The boy was in secondary school yes...around 13/14 I would say. He was quite small for his age however, but I still commend him for not retaliating.
    We (me & colleagues) didn't hold our tongues however when she did lash out. She appeared startled that we gave her a b*llocking for what she did.
    For some reason, i'm guessing she was expecting us to take her side because "she's old".

Had a feeling it was set somewhere in Scotland. But if you and your colleuages did speak your minds about it, she would have problablytold you to to shut tup, do your jobs and mind your own business.
    Complained to head office/the manager.customer service about 'disreseptful staff.
    Threatened to come back with a small priavet army.
    Something similar happened last year. I don't know the full deatials but a bloke came in with his duaghter and starts being violent and abusive towards her.. Of course, being a sensible bloke I reported it to the manager at the time after seeing how it progressed. The bloke got banned as a result.
    Remember being verbally abused by an old bag on the shopfloor myself becaUSE OF THE QUEues at the tills (as if it was MY fault). I went round the back, did all I could about it by informing the manager and went back to what I was doing and the stupid old bag still blames me for the till. I very nearly told her to **** off and give HER shit back but one of the lads, comes out and has a go at HER! So she storms off.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

God, my OH's mother used to work there and I was petrified of walking through it :o Never again! What a horrid wee woman. But you're right that in places like that (there's a fair few of those areas down here in Ayr as well) that you don't need a reason to have a square go at someone :mad:

I don't work in retail, but I do hate some things other customers do :D I hate it when they cough and spit all over their hands or wipe their runny nose with their fingers and then proceed to paw over items or hand over money. I also dislike it when they can't even be courteous enough to say hello back to the cashier and then they just fling the money at them. I hope I'm a nice customer :o
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why were the police not called?
  • radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    Flyboy152 wrote: »

I almost never agree with you but in this case I certainly do. Smacking kids around like that. And it was HER that needed the slap. Though on the other hand I don't do violence with women. Let the cops sort that witch out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Altercations within the shopping centre, are dealt with by the security guards. From our statements; they decide the appropriate course of action (i.e phoning the police etc).
    What happened to her I don't know. All i know is that she got off lightly. This happened last Thursday...and I spotted her within the shopping centre this morning.
    She is barred from entering the shop however (not that she didnt try to come in mind you).

I will say that many places do not follow the correct procedure when it comes to altercations (especially around here).
    There are to many threats of reprocussions from the accused that most are to intimidated to get the authorities involved.
    Counterfeight money for example should be reported to the police; but never is. Our managerial staff simply hand back the forgery and ask for a legitimate one.
    Violent/drunk people are common around my place of work. However I've noticed from today that the police have begun hourly patrols of the centre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is not really the security guards decision whether the police are called, it is the victim's, surely. What advice or care was given to the child?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not really the security guards decision whether the police are called, it is the victim's, surely. What advice or care was given to the child?

My manager simply checked he was ok. He indicated to us that he was ok almost immediately.
    He was also given advice to simply ignore anyone attempting that kind of interaction in the future. Whether he took any of it on board is another matter.
    The incident wasn't handled properly I concede. However, the boy left the shop promptly following the incident. He's not been back in since, so I do fear that he was been put off because of the old hag.
    We were simply allowing someone with authority over the centre to deal with the incident, as we all had a lot of things to be getting on with at that time of the morning.
    We do have a procedure in place to record the incident, and contact the relevant authorities. The managerial staff however didn't feel this was necessary, given how quickly the situation fizzled out soon after.
    I can't give anymore details on the situation, as i'm not at liberty to further discuss company internal procedures unless authorised to do so.
    Forum Member
    Had some bloke come in today,CONVINCED that me and the till operator're psychic. he just said PIZZA and the till operator explained to him they had different prices. I asked him which one and he just said 'PIZZA'. So I ended up showing him the numerous pizzas until he found one.
    At least he appologised at the end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I almost never agree with you but in this case I certainly do. Smacking kids around like that. And it was HER that needed the slap. Though on the other hand I don't do violence with women. Let the cops sort that witch out

I used to work in retail... once, after checking the racking and informing a customer we didn't have what she was after, she replied "Well, it's not good enough!" and punched me in stomach!

....okay she was around 7 years old and couldn't put much weight behind it. But still - I was slightly taken a back and then couldn't stop laughing. Her mother, who was with her, offered only the most basic of applogies :D
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dapa wrote: »
    I used to work in retail... once, after checking the racking and informing a customer we didn't have what she was after, she replied "Well, it's not good enough!" and punched me in stomach!

....okay she was around 7 years old and couldn't put much weight behind it. But still - I was slightly taken a back and then couldn't stop laughing. Her mother, who was with her, offered only the most basic of applogies :D
    I know it's probably a sign of Broken Britain or some such but that did make me chuckle.
  • bk2006bk2006 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had a succession of bad customers recent !! you can tell Christmas is coming lol

I work for a well known dept. store and we often go the extra mile for customers and sometimes at a small loss to us but they really do try and take advantage!

On Saturday a woman wanted a particular red tea towel from a set of three. I apologised and said they come as a set (Red, black and blue) but went to the stock room to see if we had any old stock left of red tea towels she may like. I brought out several odds and sods and showed her she then started shouting out me and saying our tea towel display is practically red and we should open the packages and pull out all the red ones.

I was narked at this stage and sternly said we cannot start opening packs of tea towels just because you want one from the set. She then said I am not having this and kept shouting I want this particular one. My manager was just walking by and I shouted him over and she ranted to him about our display being practically red and my manager sharp as anything said well actually you got some yellow and and blue in there it is not all red. I explained to him that I had looked on our system to see if that tea towel come on its own but it didn't to which the lady said well you have not done enough for me and my manager just turned around and went "Madam I am sorry but there is nothing we can do for you- we can't help you and we both walked off"

She soon went off in a huff. I am glad my manager backed me up because sometimes they bend over backwards but he stood strong.

All this for a tea towel!! lol
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I had some of these customers in my shop, I truly do! :D
    Forum Member
    bk2006 wrote: »
    I have had a succession of bad customers recent !! you can tell Christmas is coming lol

I work for a well known dept. store and we often go the extra mile

Its Christmas, Bank Holiday and easter when they REALLY take the piss but if head office expect me to go that extra mile, I'm going to want extra pay for the extra milage otherwise those customers with perfect hearing, eyesight and perfectly capable of doing their own scanning, fetching,
    carrying, shopping, put their own pound/token in the trolley or sort it out and put it back THEMSELVES and bring their guide dog with them.
    Forum Member
    bk2006 wrote: »
    the lady said well you have not done enough for me and my manager just turned around and went "Madam I am sorry but there is nothing we can do for you- we can't help you and we both walked off"

He should have told her straight 'I'm sorry but the customer might always be right but the customer doesn't have the right to talk to me and my staff like that. If you persist in talking to me and the staff like that, you might as well leave the shop and consider yourself banned!'.
    In my expereince, customers're happy with an alternative.

I might start charging customers extra for treating or talking me like that or treating my like their own personal shopper/servant or own guide dog.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My manager simply checked he was ok. He indicated to us that he was ok almost immediately.
    He was also given advice to simply ignore anyone attempting that kind of interaction in the future. Whether he took any of it on board is another matter.
    The incident wasn't handled properly I concede. However, the boy left the shop promptly following the incident. He's not been back in since, so I do fear that he was been put off because of the old hag.
    We were simply allowing someone with authority over the centre to deal with the incident, as we all had a lot of things to be getting on with at that time of the morning.
    We do have a procedure in place to record the incident, and contact the relevant authorities. The managerial staff however didn't feel this was necessary, given how quickly the situation fizzled out soon after.
    I can't give anymore details on the situation, as i'm not at liberty to further discuss company internal procedures unless authorised to do so.

Surely the management have a duty of care towards this child? Was the child's details taken, so that they could follow up to make sure he is still okay and his parents were aware of what happened?
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the management have a duty of care towards this child? Was the child's details taken, so that they could follow up to make sure he is still okay and his parents were aware of what happened?

Surely if the shop took no action, and the centre did the same, let the old lady walk away, but ban her from the centre

after the parents hear from there son, on what had happened, wouldnt the parents demand to know why the old lady wasnt charge, and correct this byt hem selfs, by pressing charges against the old lady, and holding the shop responsible
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed they probably would, but the store still needs to ensure that they have done everything they can to mitigate any potential consequences of what occurred on their premises. It is very possible that the young boy felt too frightened to talk to his parents about it and was hoping the store would have let them know; just a thought.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Trying to get the police to a shop to deal with that kind of thing is rather like trying to get blood out a rock. If it's around the time the police shift change happens, you've got zero chance.
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Trying to get the police to a shop to deal with that kind of thing is rather like trying to get blood out a rock. If it's around the time the police shift change happens, you've got zero chance.

Take matters into your own hands (the police and courts can;t complain these days) and see what happens. All I can think of is to slap on ASBO on her. All I cvan gather from the information is that she should never be allowed anywhere near a shandy.
    Ans some pensioneers complain about kids these days having no respect for their elders so she can hard;ly complain if she gets verbally abused,
    Is the kid alright?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

Calling 999 to report a child being assaulted by an adult would be given the highest of priority.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calling 999 to report a child being assaulted by an adult would be given the highest of priority.

I suppose, I was making a generalization I guess.
This discussion has been closed.