Options

Advice on weight gain

TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
Forum Member
✭✭
I eat really healthy, lots of fruit and veg and lean meat and drink water for the most part as I don't like tea or coffee. However, I'm quite thin and could do with gaining a few extra pounds but at the same time I don't want to do it by feasting on junk food. Most of the food I eat is healthy but generally low in calories so I wanted some advice as to what healthy food I can eat which will make me gain a bit of weight:)

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a reason you want to add more weight. You seem to be eating healthy so unless you are not eating enough then I would not worry. If you think you are eating enough and your weight is dangerously low then you need to see your doctor.

The one item I would ask about is are you eating enough dairy products ? Good source of essential fatty acid and calories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had comments that I'm really thin. I take in about 1400 calories on average when I checked and thought that was maybe a bit too low so want to add maybe a pound or two. I don't want to feast on chocolate and fast food though. I eat red meat once or twice a week and have a day or two without meat and then the rest will be chicken all with either veg, rice or pasta and I snack on fruit generally. I don't really like cheese so would drinking milk help?
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old are you OP?.

The only healthy way to gain weight is to eat more carbohydrates like pasta, potatoes, rice, bread. Don't eat more sugar or junk food.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    as a fellow underweight person, I would suggest seeing your gp, whomay refer you to a dietician

1400 calories isnt enough, its a diet level of calories for a female.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was always thin as a young person. It has its advantages. You can pig out and eat as much as you like. It's easy to find clothes that look nice. People always comment: "Oh aren't you nice and slim!". Mind you it might be different for a man. Men look better if they are a bit beefed up. Why not try those protein drinks that bodybuilders use? Or mebbe go to the gym. You will get dietary advice there too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 28. I usually eat porridge in the morning with banana and blueberries and for lunch it's something like a jacket potato with beans or tuna or a homemade vegetable soup and I'll snack in between on apples/grapes banana and for dinner I'll have something like chicken with a salad or chilli con carne or a pasta with chicken and vegetables. I always make everything myself from scratch so there's no preservatives or things in what I eat. Very occasionally I'll have chocolate and I do enjoy it but like I said I don't want to gain weight by eating crap. Maybe I'll have to increase portion sizes. I also exercise and have quite an active job
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your diet sounds fine. I wouldn't worry. If you are active and not tired during the day I think you are perfectly healthy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I suggest you try this protein supplement- PRO Complex Mass gainer. U will surely see some results in a span of 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Your diet sounds fine. I wouldn't worry. If you are active and not tired during the day I think you are perfectly healthy.

I think I am but it's a comment I received that made me wonder if I was too thin and had me thinking I looked gaunt or something. I'll perhaps concentrate on having bigger portion sizes with my dinner
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    eat all the pies
  • Options
    toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    tomkent45 wrote: »
    I suggest you try this protein supplement- PRO Complex Mass gainer. U will surely see some results in a span of 2 weeks.

As long as you do the weight training to go with it - otherwise taking protein is useless.

It won't put you on weight if you don't do some form of resistance/weight training!

I would suggest maybe eating some more protein in your diet and carbohydrates, mix that with some weight training

You say your active, so obviously burn a lot of calories so you definitely need to up your calories, 1400 doesn't sound nearly enough (well to be fair, would need to know your weight, height and level of activity on a daily basis), but people looking to lose weight healthily would eat about 1400-1500 calories of healthy foods like your diet
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you should concentrate on accepting your body the way it is, as long as you are healthy. If you feel like you need to eat more to be healthy, eat more pasta, seeds and nuts.
  • Options
    purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit underweight and was trying to gain some weight for the beach (I look rank in a bikini). The nurse that I see quarterly suggested a cake diet. I've been on 5 cream cakes a week (!) since Christmas and I'm sure I've gained a few pounds.

It's not exactly healthy but when you have trouble eating a child sized portion of dinner it is a quick way of doing it....;)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1400 calories does seem way to low. You can look up your BMR here, this will give you an idea of how many calories you should be eat to stay at your current weight.

Something like this one will give a base intake, You then need to multiple the number based on your activity level.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/bmr-calculator.html