Iphone 6 released

Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
Forum Member
So we can get it out of the way early.

Can I just say that it is too big / too small / contains nothing that every other phone hasn't already had for years and the technology is probably a decade old yet Apple fans will say its the best thing since, well, ever.

Have I covered everything?

Looking forward to the presentation.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Nope, this is the "next gen" of Apple products perhaps. Since Steve Jobs passed away, they haven't really introduced something record changing, and this is the most eagerly awaited keynote for a very long time (since previous ones were just upgrades and Operating System unveilings).
  • TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May get this if it's a bigger screen.
  • Peter_CarlosPeter_Carlos Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Well, I would say this time Apple will showcase something different and even they are bound to show off something different, I can say after Late. Steve Jobs (RIP) there are some new things cooking in the mind of Tim Cook. I would say just wait and watch because new changes are ahead.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing that really holds any interest for me is the possibility of more onboard memory. That aside, I think i'd probably prefer to trade up my 5 for a 5s. Probably looking forward to iOS 8 more!
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More RAM is definitely needed, especially in the iPads, Safari constantly reloads tabs (as they get kicked out of memory).

The only thing directly interesting to me about the phones being bigger is if it means substantially better battery life.

I am interested in how the iOS8 extensions make the whole system more open and flexible/powerful compared to now.

I don't have a Mac so some things like Handoff don't interest me much. I am thinking of selling my iPad off and buying a Surface Pro 3.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be interesting to see if they have come up with a useful mobile payment system, although I think at launch it will be very US specific.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    So we can get it out of the way early.

Can I just say that it is too big / too small / contains nothing that every other phone hasn't already had for years and the technology is probably a decade old yet Apple fans will say its the best thing since, well, ever.

Have I covered everything?

Looking forward to the presentation.

To be honest I'm disgusted that Apple haven't made the move to 128bit processors and 16gb ram. And they have yet to put a 80mp camera in there.

So thats it, I ain't buying one and NOBODY ELSE SHOULD EITHER, COS MY CHOICE OF PHONE IS WHAT EVERYONE SHOULD GO FOR.

Or something like that.

Whilst Apple product launches aren't a patch on what they once were (Steve Jobs really was one of the worlds greatest speakers, his launches were justifiably legendary), they're still leagues ahead of what Samsung, Sony, Microsoft or HTC can even begin to attempt and they tend to be pretty entertaining viewing (if only you could edit out the fawning audience).
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one am actually looking forward to this release :)

I have a 4s long out of contract and am ready for an upgrade.

I plan to be as patient as possible because I don't want to commit to the iphone6/air/whatever and then find out the "s" or newer/better model comes out a month or two later >:(
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I plan to be as patient as possible because I don't want to commit to the iphone6/air/whatever and then find out the "s" or newer/better model comes out a month or two later >:(
    I'm looking forward to it too. I might even buy one!

However, Apple won't release a 6S in a few months. It's an annual upgrade cycle. The only possibility is an iPhone 6C at some point within the next year.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd bet everything I own twice over that the 6s will be out this time next year, then the 7 the year after, the 7s the year after that and so on and so on.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even tho I am normally against Apple due to the restrictions they put on their devices, I will be watching the Keynote as I am a self confessed gadget ****, I am always intrigued when it comes to the reveal of new products. Who knows, I may even be tempted by the device if it has......

An option to expand the memory, this is a must as I want a device where I can listen to any of my music whenever I choose to. It's all very well having Cloud / Streaming services, but when you are on a train or in an area with little to no signal, it is pretty much pointless in having online based storage. My music collection alone would murder a 16gb model, without any downloaded apps.

Removable Battery
    More control over the customizing the Home Screen
    Drag n Drop through Windows, without the use of iTunes

As much as I dislike Apple products, it cannot be denied about how well they handle music playback, in comparison with other handsets that I have owned in the past. Who knows the Keynote may have me gaining embarrassing wet patches in my shorts, but I very much doubt that will happen. Needless to say it will be interesting to see what Apple come up with.
  • Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Have never owned an apple product, I'm an Android fan through and through. But I seriously hope Apple come up with something new, innovative and game changing as it will drive the market forward and we all end up benefitting regardless of which product we use.

Probably be just 'tweaks' posing as innovations though, lets wait and see.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Have never owned an apple product, I'm an Android fan through and through. But I seriously hope Apple come up with something new, innovative and game changing as it will drive the market forward and we all end up benefitting regardless of which product we use.
    I am not sure that is where Apple are ready at - with the iPhone anyway! They go for solidly engineered versions of things - which are rarely leading edge.

Android phones tend to get all the latest tech first - even if there is no immediate use for some of it!

The iWatch may be genuinely novel!
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    May get this if it's a bigger screen.

Well depends how big, I do not want a phone like those godawful ones (samsung? HT?), that look like people are carrying a tray.

Well i'm locked in my contract to the 5S to eternity, so i won't be getting this soon. :( But i do love a new gadget.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viridiana wrote: »
    Well depends how big, I do not want a phone like those godawful ones (samsung? HT?), that look like people are carrying a tray.

Well i'm locked in my contract to the 5S to eternity, so i won't be getting this soon. :( But i do love a new gadget.

No they just need to actually fit a screen that is visable to the naked eye. One that you can fit more than one word on the screen at a time. Some of us like to be able to look at things. This isn't 2009.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    No they just need to actually fit a screen that is visable to the naked eye. One that you can fit more than one word on the screen at a time. Some of us like to be able to look at things. This isn't 2009.

I find the 5S a great size. I have no trouble reading whatsoever. I would not mind a bigger screen for variety sake but i do not need one. But I would certainly would not buy a phone with a screen the size of those that i was talking about. Simply Awful.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if they have come up with a useful mobile payment system, although I think at launch it will be very US specific.

I think there is already a useful payments system in place it just hasn't taken off over here yet. In countries like Canada and Russia NFC payments are used widely.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    More RAM is definitely needed, especially in the iPads, Safari constantly reloads tabs (as they get kicked out of memory).

The only thing directly interesting to me about the phones being bigger is if it means substantially better battery life.

I am interested in how the iOS8 extensions make the whole system more open and flexible/powerful compared to now.

I don't have a Mac so some things like Handoff don't interest me much. I am thinking of selling my iPad off and buying a Surface Pro 3.

I think this keynote is make or break for me. I doubt I'll get the iPhone 6 but unless I see something worthwhile I think I'll sell my iPad and pick up one of the Samsung galaxy tab pros.
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd bet everything I own twice over that the 6s will be out this time next year, then the 7 the year after, the 7s the year after that and so on and so on.

Well that makes me feel a bit better.
    For once in my life I'd just like to have the latest gadget for a little while before I'm "behind" again :)
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sueeeh wrote: »
    and this is the most eagerly awaited keynote for a very long time

I'm sure they said that last year as well...
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there is already a useful payments system in place it just hasn't taken off over here yet. In countries like Canada and Russia NFC payments are used widely.

Do you mean on mobiles? NFC is popular here, but it very limited and not on mobiles.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow, that was so Apple like, all the noise and yet little came of it. Nothing new here, move along.
  • ArtmuzzArtmuzz Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new iPhone 6 looks good but is it waterproof like the Sony and Samsung phones? If it's not then I'm a bit uneasy about spending nearly 1 grand on something that is not waterproof. Such as shame as I prefer iOS to android. Also if it's still got 1GB ram then it's pitiful.
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,025
    Forum Member
    1GB RAM!! :( The phones under whelming.

No deal.. Ill wait for the next Samsung / iPhone 6S.