Great British Bake Off Series 3

Comments

• LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Guess he'll be busy with media work for a few weeks now.
  • waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's also found time to set up a website (no content yet) and sign up with Debi Allen Associates (contact craig.latto@debiallenassociates.com)
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    In future all a contestant has to do is pull off one good bake each week then in the final bring out the big guns with a fancy cake

I would have been more impressed with the winner if as in the past they had done a multi bake of cakes, tarts, pies and bread based goodies

or would John have been beaten to the post by Brendan with that kind of challenge, I do really think that John was chosen because he was the only finalist going on to make a career of it

I am really sorry but I was not impressed with any of the final cakes and IMO Johns choc cake looked a bit thick and heavy crumbed, he even commented when making it that the chocolate could make it more dense WTTE
    but the lemon curd sponge looked fine
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    waz101 wrote: »
    He's also found time to set up a website (no content yet) and sign up with Debi Allen Associates (contact craig.latto@debiallenassociates.com)
    the same agent as Sue Perkins
  • mathsbunnymathsbunny Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Certainly, there were often moments during the series when it seemed the technically superior Brendan had been marked down in favour of more fashionable, younger and groovier contestants.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2218831/Great-British-Bake-Off-It-measuring-fondant-fancies-says-JAN-MOIR.html#ixzz29ZSG7rDk
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

says it all in my opinion...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SueG wrote: »
    John's interview on BBC Breakfast this morning http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00zw2k5

Lovely interview!
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathsbunny wrote: »
    Certainly, there were often moments during the series when it seemed the technically superior Brendan had been marked down in favour of more fashionable, younger and groovier contestants.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2218831/Great-British-Bake-Off-It-measuring-fondant-fancies-says-JAN-MOIR.html#ixzz29ZSG7rDk
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

says it all in my opinion...
    Daily Mail wrote:
    The law student turned banker beat favourites James Morton and Brendan Lynch, charming judges with his exquisite Heaven and Hell Cake.
    Bloody Daily Mail :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I was suprised and very happy to see John win the Bake Off as I was certain Brendan would win. But I didn't mind who won.
    The show was such a delightful competition to watch. The judging was constructive, Mel and Sue were lovely and the contestants were supportive of each other.
    Can't wait for the next series. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brendan: 10th, 4th, 9th, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 4th, 2nd 3rd, 2nd
    Average = 3.9

James: 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st
    Average = 2.7

John: 11th, 1st, 6th, 6th, 2nd, 5th, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd
    Average = 4.1
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cami_27 wrote: »
    Brendan: 10th, 4th, 9th, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 4th, 2nd 3rd, 2nd
    Average = 3.9

James: 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st
    Average = 2.7

John: 11th, 1st, 6th, 6th, 2nd, 5th, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd
    Average = 4.1

wow Brendan and John did really badly on the first technical challenge :eek:
  • Benry_GaleBenry_Gale Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So unless I'm missing something, was John winning leaked online prior to the show? Someone told me today it was, but I can't find it anywhere (though it could be on this thread, I haven't time to go through 150 odd pages..).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was out last night so didn't watch the whole show - a pleasure for Sunday morning after church - just Sky'd the ending for the 'reveal'.

Loved to see what the other contestants have been up to and would love to go to SJ & Cathryn's market stall... bet they have huge queues and sell out every week :)

Really looking forward to the Masterclasses next week and the 'what they've done since' on the Series 2 ppl.

Won't be long before the next series of Masterchef The Professionals... supposed to be starting in November but I can't imagine them getting a better set of finalists than last series which was totally gobsmackingly good...

And let's not forget the Xmas Bake Off special... wonder what they'll have to do :rolleyes:

And Paul's own series on Bread in the Spring...
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    And let's not forget the Xmas Bake Off special... wonder what they'll have to do

It's not a competition, just another Masterclass with Paul and Mary. Apparently they will be doing things like mince pies and Christmas cake.

Looking forward to the bread series.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    It's not a competition, just another Masterclass with Paul and Mary. Apparently they will be doing things like mince pies and Christmas cake.

Looking forward to the bread series.

maybe they could get Brendan to do breads of the world
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After last nights final I had to get some French Fancies.

O.T

Have you seen the Halloween French Fancies they've got out this year. Look like they were iced by Slimer, if you know what I mean.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benry_Gale wrote: »
    So unless I'm missing something, was John winning leaked online prior to the show? Someone told me today it was, but I can't find it anywhere (though it could be on this thread, I haven't time to go through 150 odd pages..).

It was, but the poster said it was a genuine error - they posted a link to the recipes from the final half way through the programme, only to be told that there was a picture of the winner with the trophy on the final page if you scrolled down all the way to the end!

I confess to being one of those who did sneak a peak :o, but I didn't spoil it for anyone else (which was very hard with all the comments during the rest of the programme with bets on James and Brendan coming in thick and fast!) but in a way it was a relief to know! And I'm sure I'm not the only one who looked (although no one else has admitted it as far as I can see!) but if they did they were like me and didn't spoil it for others (which is pretty much what you'd expect from a thread as respectful of people's feelings about spoilers and opinions as this one is :)).
  • MrSquirrelMrSquirrel Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that James would win, but they were supposed to bake a cake so, other that make too much work for himself, he went off brief. And it looked dry on tv.

But when his cake slipped off, I did "yelp" and said noooooo!

Well done to John!

And when Brendan did that piece to camera that he couldnt finish probably summed up how they all probably feel inside.
  • dwisemandwiseman Posts: 4,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best thing about the series is the feelgood factor - the best on TV! Was very pleased for John and promptly burst into tears. I have no idea why this programme affects me like it does!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure which is sillier, people who can't grasp the concept of a knock-out competition or people who think they can judge a cake at home, watching on TV, better than two of the country's leading experts, who are in front of the cake, actually eating it. :D

You have to laugh really.

I thought any of the three could have been picked as the winner, they were all great. But it's a knock-out format, and that means you can scrape your way through every round, pull something out of the bag in the final and win. Not that John did that, I just mean that averages mean nothing.

It's like if a football team wins every round of the FA Cup 5-0, then loses to Barnsley in the final 1-0. Tough. You have to do it when it matters, and poor old James made a rod for his own back doing the five cakes. I think he wanted to carry on his desire to try new things every week and pull them off, but it was just too much. He was touchingly humble about it though wasn't he?

I really, really like this show, and I think it's because they don't overdo the waterworks side of it. It's not the X-Factor, with contestants whining about their cat dying or whatever. They had a bit of Brendan being tearful but then left it at that. It really is about the competition, there's no ridiculing or belittling and it's all in great spirit.

And Mel and Sue make me giggle a lot. :D
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    two of the best features in this show are mel and sue:D they're hilarious:D

paul hollywood's lovely blue eyes make it worth watching too!!:D
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was, but the poster said it was a genuine error - they posted a link to the recipes from the final half way through the programme, only to be told that there was a picture of the winner with the trophy on the final page if you scrolled down all the way to the end!

I confess to being one of those who did sneak a peak :o, but I didn't spoil it for anyone else (which was very hard with all the comments during the rest of the programme with bets on James and Brendan coming in thick and fast!) but in a way it was a relief to know! And I'm sure I'm not the only one who looked (although no one else has admitted it as far as I can see!) but if they did they were like me and didn't spoil it for others (which is pretty much what you'd expect from a thread as respectful of people's feelings about spoilers and opinions as this one is :)).
    Yup - I was out yesterday but have just caught up - saw the post and managed to avoid looking at the pdf until I'd watched on iPlayer. Love the thread, I agree that it's generally respectful and lovely to contribute to. Slightly disappointed for James but John's final bake did look spectacular. I really like the idea of Cathryn and Sarah Jane having a stall together. GBBO still one of my favourite cooking programmes and hope it keeps its charm and integrity, whatever channel it's on. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Antony Cotton has been chatting up John on Twitter :(:(:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... and Nick Grimshaw :(:(:(
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... and Nick Grimshaw :(:(:(

What a ghastly thought... Poor John doesn't deserve this. Anyway I am sure his partner will dissuade him from talking to that insipid little man.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Antony Cotton has been chatting up John on Twitter :(:(:(

Life truly can be full of big highs and yet massive lows.......
This discussion has been closed.