The Legendary Belinda Carlisle RETURNS! With "SUN" New Single

Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
Forum Member
✭✭✭
First David Bowie now the incredibly talent Belinda Carlisle is making a comeback! What a year it is going to be, she is one of the true legends of the music scene, with fantastic albums that always told a story. Great News!, im sure the album is going to be massive!

Thoughts on her return ?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a465863/belinda-carlisle-announces-comeback-with-new-single-sun-new-album.html

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad she's back, and I agree, a true legend! I grew up listening to her in the early 90s - Big Scary Animal, We Want the Same Thing and In Too Deep are tunes!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are sure the album is going to be massive?

It is released this Tuesday at a bargain basement price, it has had zero promotion here or in the US, it is a greatest hits with one new song.

Massive, really?

Still buying it, I love Belinda, but seriously, it won't be massive. It will barely be small.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like Belinda but her comeback is hardly on the same scale as Bowie's!
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    I quite like Belinda but her comeback is hardly on the same scale as Bowie's!

...nor is she a 'legend'. a phrase too commonly banded about inappropriately. do these people actually know what a legend is? the dictionary deffinition isnt very complimentary!

leg·end (ljnd)
    n.
    a. An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical.
    b. A body or collection of such stories.
    c. A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times

doesnt really apply to ms carlisle does it! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Heaven Is a Place on Earth' is the only song of hers I really know. :o I love that song though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I use to love her back in the 80,s but went to see her in concert, shocking she can't sing live very well. Struggles to hold a note. I felt embarrassed for her.!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends when you saw her. She used to be amazing live and has been again recently, she did have the drink and drugs phase though and it messed her up a lot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...nor is she a 'legend'. a phrase too commonly banded about inappropriately. do these people actually know what a legend is? the dictionary deffinition isnt very complimentary!

leg·end (ljnd)
    n.
    a. An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical.
    b. A body or collection of such stories.
    c. A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times

doesnt really apply to ms carlisle does it! :D

Hahaha:)

Awh well to me she is a legend!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

then read up on her, then theres nothing mystical or magical about her! :p

think you mean 'a favourite'...lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Saw her last time she had a come back sure it was about 2000. I do like her don't get me wrong. !
    Will look forward to hearing her new song.!
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First David Bowie now the incredibly talent Belinda Carlisle is making a comeback! What a year it is going to be, she is one of the true legends of the music scene, with fantastic albums that always told a story. Great News!, im sure the album is going to be massive!

Thoughts on her return ?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a465863/belinda-carlisle-announces-comeback-with-new-single-sun-new-album.html

But her new album, icon, is a best of:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    then read up on her, then theres nothing mystical or magical about her! :p

think you mean 'a favourite'...lol

No I mean legend:cool:

Grew up listening to her, she's one of the singers a lot of friends and people of my childhood generation ( late 80s and 90s) get all nostalgic about. She had a lot of brilliant hits until the late 90s - to me that woman is a favourite and legend!:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giving a dictionary definition is useless as language develops and words change their meaning. Legend is a clear example of this as people use it frequently in this way so it will gradually change to reflect that.

Belinda is amazing and I love her, but anyone who thinks that her album will be massive is a bit naive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giving a dictionary definition is useless as language develops and words change their meaning. Legend is a clear example of this as people use it frequently in this way so it will gradually change to reflect that.

Belinda is amazing and I love her, but anyone who thinks that her album will be massive is a bit naive.

whats the point in having a dictionary or even a language then?. just because illiterate people use the language incorrectly doesnt give it validity.

until the definition changes to include evolution the charge sticks, by definition she aint a legend! :p

my fav was 'youre nothing without me'...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whats the point in having a dictionary or even a language then?. just because illiterate people use the language incorrectly doesnt give it validity.

until the definition changes to include evolution the charge sticks, by definition she aint a legend! :p

Oh my word.....are you seriously continuing with this legend definition thing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because, as you are very much aware of, that is how language evolves and develops.

Words change over time.

Also, I guess you use the free dictionary or google...

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/legend

Others disagree with you.

Others move on and evolve with the language. Majority out there have this definition of legend as well. And the Oxford dictionary is well respected. I would say it is a legend amongst dictionaries.
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    please start your own thread about the definition of a legend this thread is about Belinda Carlisle. Thanks :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    please start your own thread about the definition of a legend this thread is about Belinda Carlisle. Thanks :)

Wow, nice. I was actually defending your post but yeah fine.
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, nice. I was actually defending your post but yeah fine.

Im meaning in general haha not just you. The one that started it.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Belinda Carlisle a legend?
    This forum never fails to find new ways to amaze. And not in a good way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    Belinda Carlisle a legend?
    This forum never fails to find new ways to amaze. And not in a good way.

Because she isn't your taste? Please.

The GoGo's really did pave the way for girl groups having fun in that way. Whether the genre appeals to you is one thing but she has earned some respect from her fans.

Legend is pretty much empty as one mans trash is another mans treasure etc. I hate some music by people considered 'legends' but its not my place to question their opinion.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Go Go's were fun. Belindas solo stuff was decent pop music fluff for the 80's - but I'm not sure I'd go any higher than that.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because she isn't your taste? Please.

The GoGo's really did pave the way for girl groups having fun in that way. Whether the genre appeals to you is one thing but she has earned some respect from her fans.

Legend is pretty much empty as one mans trash is another mans treasure etc. I hate some music by people considered 'legends' but its not my place to question their opinion.

no because she's no legend. Nothing to do with taste. A couple of solo hits does not make a legendary career.
    'Mildly successful Belinda Carlisle returns' would have been a more apt thread title
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    no because she's no legend. Nothing to do with taste. A couple of solo hits does not make a legendary career.
    'Mildly successful Belinda Carlisle returns' would have been a more apt thread title

Granted she is not a legend but 19 solo Top 40 hits is also worth a little bit more than 'mildly successful'.

Personal favourite and Belinda's own too according to this recent interview is the sublime pop perfection of 'Summer Rain'.
    http://popdose.com/the-popdose-interview-belinda-carlisle/
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course she is. And long may she remain.

I never understand people who don't seem to get that this isn't maths but pop music where people are expressing their feelings about things and get caught up and argue the fact the minute someone calls someone a 'legend' or 'icon' or whatever.

Though if you are taking the term by it's definition I'd say some of the stories surrounding Belinda and the Go Gos have gone down in legend.

I heard she might be working with Rick Nowels again. Is this true? No other popette in the eighties was as consistent as Belinda was with the three albums he produced.