Emmys Snubs Past and Present

LMLM Posts: 63,318
Forum Member
✭✭
Are there any performances that you felt were snubbed this year by the emmys, as well as performances from past years?

:)

Comments

• GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The fact the The Wire won no Emmy's is a disgrace. They should hang their heads in shame.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    For this year:

Parade's End and Rebecca Hall - Hall gave the best performance of the past year, bar none, imo and Parade's End was brilliant from start to finish.
    Parks and Rec - It has the best cast in comedy, and if anyone deserves to clog up Supporting categories it's them not the Modern Family cast.
    Monica Potter (Parenthood) - I thought she was a shoe-in, the show is coming of it's highest rated season and Potter was heartbreaking in her role.
    Michelle Fairley - I love Emilia Clarke and I'm happy for her but if anyone deserved to be nominated it's Michelle Fairley, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen in her scenes.
    New Girl and its cast/writers - A much improved season, it went from extremely patchy to one of the best comedies at the moment imo, how did it get nominations last year but not this?
    Happy Endings and its cast/writers- It had no chance obviously, but again it's cast is nigh on perfect the writing's up there with the best comedies on screen yet it's completely underrated, and now sadly cancelled.
    Sutton Foster (Bunheads) - Last but not least, I never expected her to be nominated, no one did, but that doesn't mean she didn't give one of the best performances on tv in the past year. Heartbreaking yet hilarious at the same time, a completely underrated performance, in a completely underrated programme, which after being stuck in limbo for months has now been cancelled :cry:
    Bunheads' choreography - The show not getting a nod for choreography was ridiculous, I didn't expect any nominations elsewhere but this is a field where there's SYTYCD and not much else, surely Bunheads deserved to be recognised here.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This year for me

Tatiana Maslany - Orphan Black
    Patricia Arquette - Law and Order: SVU
    Sienna Miller - The Girl

Past performances that should of been recognised

Courteney Cox - Friends & Cougar Town
    Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alyson Hannigan - Buffy
    Lucy Lawless - Xena
    Anna Torv and John Noble - Fringe
    Ellen Muth - Dead Like Me
    Nina Dobrev - The Vampire Diaries
    Jake Weber and Sofia Vassilieva - Medium
    Gabourey Sidibe and Oliver Platt - The Big C
    Nicollette Sheridan - Desperate Housewives
    Jane Leeves - Hot In Cleveland
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buffy and The Wire are the two big ones from the past for me. I also think it's something of a travesty that John Noble never even got a nomination for his Walter Bishop.

As for this year, Hannibal getting nothing for cinematography and Tatiana Maslany for best actress are the two most frustrating snubs.
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason Alexander not winning even one for George Costanza in Seinfeld. Nominated seven times and never won!
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fringe. The show itself and Anna Torv and John Noble.
  • mccaffepmccaffep Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Looking at the list of Primetime Emmy winners, I cant believe Larry Hagman never won an Emmy for playing JR...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fringe and its actors are obviously on of the the major ones that the media has reported on the last few years
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kelsey Grammer for Boss, Mads Mikkelsen for Hannibal and Johnny Lee Miller for Elementary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have found that Lena Headey and Michelle Fairley have been snubbed every season. They both continue to give such strong performances, especially Michelle Fairley who nearly reduced me to tears when she explained about her relationship to Jon Snow and how she feels her neglect towards his being her husbands "bastard child" has led to how her family are now broken.

I am a newbie to Game of thrones and now approaching the end of season 3, and I find Emilia Clarke to actually be the weakest actor on the show and I find it baffling she got an emmy nomination, mainly for that end scene at the episode 4. But whatever.
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it outrageous that Nick Offerman has never received a nomination for his work on 'Parks & Recreation'. Ron Swanson has got to be one of the greatest comic creations ever!
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, does anyone remember when Katherine Heigl was nominated for an emmy and then withdrew even though it was obvious she'd win because she felt the "material" she had to act out was too weak?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Haha, does anyone remember when Katherine Heigl was nominated for an emmy and then withdrew even though it was obvious she'd win because she felt the "material" she had to act out was too weak?

No, that wasn't the case of her being nominated and then withdrawing. When it came to the actors to submit their episode considerations for emmys, Katherine refused because she felt she hadn't done nothing great to be worth nominated for. Apparently Shonda Rimes was pissed off and the press tried to make out Katherine was being a rude cow, when she wasn't, she was being truthful and allowing someone else to be nominated.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martin Sheen - The West Wing
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Martin Sheen - The West Wing

He was nominated 6 times. So he wasn't snubbed.
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I watch Frasier, I always wonder why Peri Gilpin wasn't nominated for any awards.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't get how Katherine Heigl won an Emmy for her role in Grey's Anatomy over Sandra Oh.
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    I think Justified has been snubbed consistently. It has been nominated and won for 2 supporting emmy's but it should have won more than that, particularly for its writing and cinematography.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have found that Lena Headey and Michelle Fairley have been snubbed every season. They both continue to give such strong performances, especially Michelle Fairley who nearly reduced me to tears when she explained about her relationship to Jon Snow and how she feels her neglect towards his being her husbands "bastard child" has led to how her family are now broken.

I am a newbie to Game of thrones and now approaching the end of season 3, and I find Emilia Clarke to actually be the weakest actor on the show and I find it baffling she got an emmy nomination, mainly for that end scene at the episode 4. But whatever.

Agreed! I love Emilia, but I would definitely have preferred Michelle or Lena to be nominated, especially Michelle!

Also on the Game of Thrones subject, I would have liked Nikolaj Coster-Walder to be up instead of Peter Dinklage.

Parks and Recreation - the cast and the show. I mean they are all just perfection!

This year I don't understand how Tatiana Maslany and Julianna Margulies were snubbed in the lead actress category

I agree with whoever said Courteney Cox. Sometimes Monica on Friends was a bit annoying but other times she was great and it just seems odd to me that she was the only cast member to never get nominated. 10 years and not once.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Butterflyy wrote: »
    Agreed! I love Emilia, but I would definitely have preferred Michelle or Lena to be nominated, especially Michelle!

Also on the Game of Thrones subject, I would have liked Nikolaj Coster-Walder to be up instead of Peter Dinklage.

Parks and Recreation - the cast and the show. I mean they are all just perfection!

This year I don't understand how Tatiana Maslany and Julianna Margulies were snubbed in the lead actress category

I agree with whoever said Courteney Cox. Sometimes Monica on Friends was a bit annoying but other times she was great and it just seems odd to me that she was the only cast member to never get nominated. 10 years and not once.

The general consensus is that because Orphan Black aired on BBC America it got snubbed. Many people felt that had it aired on a more mainstream channel like HBO or AMC it may have picked up a nod...
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from Jeff Daniels winning an Emmy last night, I feel in general - especially for its writing - The Newsroom was fairly well snubbed. It's a fantastic show, sharp, funny, relevant, fast, and wonderfully acted by the US and UK ensemble cast.

Well done to Jeff at least, he surprised them all.. and himself most of all!
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This year for me

Tatiana Maslany - Orphan Black
    Patricia Arquette - Law and Order: SVU
    Sienna Miller - The Girl

Past performances that should of been recognised

Courteney Cox - Friends & Cougar Town
    Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alyson Hannigan - Buffy
    Lucy Lawless - Xena
    Anna Torv and John Noble - Fringe
    Ellen Muth - Dead Like Me
    Nina Dobrev - The Vampire Diaries
    Jake Weber and Sofia Vassilieva - Medium
    Gabourey Sidibe and Oliver Platt - The Big C
    Nicollette Sheridan - Desperate Housewives
    Jane Leeves - Hot In Cleveland

I agree with 'Friends', but not CT.
    Her face is so frozen now that it would be an insult to award her for her performance because she can no longer be taken taken seriously as an actress. IMO of course.
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    No, that wasn't the case of her being nominated and then withdrawing. When it came to the actors to submit their episode considerations for emmys, Katherine refused because she felt she hadn't done nothing great to be worth nominated for. Apparently Shonda Rimes was pissed off and the press tried to make out Katherine was being a rude cow, when she wasn't, she was being truthful and allowing someone else to be nominated.

She was being a rude cow. She didn't say that she wasn't good enough to deserve an Emmy - which would have been a humble thing to say. She said that she wasn't given strong enough material to work with, which is a complete insult to her co-workers.
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was being a rude cow. She didn't say that she wasn't good enough to deserve an Emmy - which would have been a humble thing to say. She said that she wasn't given strong enough material to work with, which is a complete insult to her co-workers.

Maybe she should have submitted the episode where she had to resuscitate a deer? :confused:
  • cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dean Norris - How he's never been nominated for his BB role is beyond me?