BBC News: Snow Across Britain

Comments

• tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very little of the coverage has been about London.

That makes a change as London is usually covered more than anywhere else in the UK. :D

Anyway, we've had some snow covering where I live in the South West, but not really a huge amount. 1, maybe 2 inches. But on Saturday, and Sunday it's supposed to be mostly dry, but with the risk of some rain. So, hopefully the snow should be gone by Sunday. :)

At the moment, Monday looks as though it's going to be sleeting, but not really snowing and dry for Tuesday. It's supposed to be getting gradually warmer during the day as of Wednesday, with temps going back to 10, 11 degrees c. So hopefully, by this time next week it should be milder.

The forecasters at the middle of last week, did say that we would be getting about 2 weeks of colder weather before it gets milder again. It's already feeling a bit milder with rain at times out there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you saying the South get special treatment? That snow in South Wales is deemed more important than snow in the North East?

As an ex- Londoner I can confirm this. It snowed here ( East Midlands) Sun. night / Mon. morning, about a couple of inches, but roads were gritted and there was no panic. National news, however, didn't mention it, except to say they were expecting snow later in the week. In other words, snow in the S.East. They must have been so disappointed when they sent all their reporters out and really had nothing much to report this morning! :D
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    As an ex- Londoner I can confirm this. It snowed here ( East Midlands) Sun. night / Mon. morning, about a couple of inches, but roads were gritted and there was no panic. National news, however, didn't mention it, except to say they were expecting snow later in the week. In other words, snow in the S.East. They must have been so disappointed when they sent all their reporters out and really had nothing much to report this morning! :D

But that was minor snow. I am in the Black Country which is about as far from 'glamorous' London as you can get. But the snow is horrendous today and has been reported as such. People get their knickers in a twist about London when there is no evidence at all that the media is biased towards them.
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To Quote Charlie Brooker....

ITS NOT NEWS >>>> ITS "WEATHER".

We have had snow for weeks and more days at sub 2 degree temps ..then Englandshire panic woosy niave petty islanders in the south go media manic frenzy over a day of snow we knew was coming...FFS.:mad:

Get a grip of yourselves. Any idea how wimpy, backward , naive, thick and dumb your country is being publicicsed as ?

Clearly we do know it's ridiculous, hence the thread.
    Just wondering why you're quoting an Englishman if we're all so dumb? I'm surprised you'd lower yourself. Petty to get so angry about something that wasn't even shown on bbc scotland wouldn't you say?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that was minor snow. I am in the Black Country which is about as far from 'glamorous' London as you can get. But the snow is horrendous today and has been reported as such. People get their knickers in a twist about London when there is no evidence at all that the media is biased towards them.

I have to disagree. I moved away from London about 9 years ago after living there my whole life and I find it quite noticeable that most home news stories are London centric.

As far as I've seen on TV and by talking to relatives they've had even less snow today than we had and it's certainly been warmer down there this week but although they are now reporting further afield the build up was very much about London. We've had more snow today but, as I said earlier, I'm a veteran of the winter of 1962/3 so a bit of snow these days doesn't bother me. I do feel sorry for the elderly and those who can't afford to heat their houses though.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Indeed, it's PSB broadcasting from our PSB broadcaster - and what was lost? A repeat of Question of Sport.

The Beeb simply can do no wrong for you can they? Pray tell what exactly is PSB about “There’s one whole inch of snow outside your front door.....In winter - PANIC!!!!”. That this non-event justifies changing the BBC1 schedule speaks volumes about the BBC.

The Beeb had sent their reporters out to the four corners and were going to get a day’s worth of coverage out of them come what may. If it hadn’t snowed anywhere then that would’ve been the story instead. It’s pathetic.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    I have to disagree. I moved away from London about 9 years ago after living there my whole life and I find it quite noticeable that most home news stories are London centric.

As far as I've seen on TV and by talking to relatives they've had even less snow today than we had and it's certainly been warmer down there this week but although they are now reporting further afield the build up was very much about London. We've had more snow today but, as I said earlier, I'm a veteran of the winter of 1962/3 so a bit of snow these days doesn't bother me. I do feel sorry for the elderly and those who can't afford to heat their houses though.

You are obviously watching different channels to me. The only thing I saw about London was Heathrow and considering it's one of the worlds busiest airports I think that was fairly relevant.
  • JigglyBallJigglyBall Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught the end of this at my mum's last night and we had a good old laugh about it. I mean, I live in London and it has snowed many, many, many times over my lifetime, and I'm only 25 so WHY exactly BBC News had to have a 'special' program about it is beyond me. Utterly ridiculous. :rolleyes: :sleep:
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be useful if the BBC Breakfast director paid a bit more attention - throughout a report from Leicester this morning on the snow there was a caption saying ''Live:Heathrow''
  • conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Words are failing me....but I'll try.

It's been snowing incredibly heavy up here for the whole week with little nod nor mention on even the Beeb's patronising weather forecasts.

It begins to snow towards the South and all hell breaks loose.

They did it in 2010 when the M25 became gridlocked and it suddenly became major news and they simulcast BBC1 with the NC all morning.

It's utterly utterly pathetic.

The reason you got little mention is because the weather people in London won't see Wooler thru their binoculars :D

Here, we had no snow at all and the Dumbrians are complaining because of this. Mind you, they complain ('twine') about owt' here :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the whole point of moving 5Live and BBC Breakfast to Salford was to get rid of the so-called southern or metropolitan bias ? The special on BBC1 at 7.30 pm last night did include regional opt-outs.
  • fatsifatsi Posts: 10,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Indeed, it's PSB broadcasting from our PSB broadcaster - and what was lost? A repeat of Question of Sport.

Yea it might have been a repeat of Question of Sport, but a repeat of Question of Sport that I, and no doubt others, wanted to watch. But now we can't as the BBC decided we needed an extra half hour of shite about the snow :rolleyes:
    Straker wrote: »
    The Beeb simply can do no wrong for you can they? Pray tell what exactly is PSB about “There’s one whole inch of snow outside your front door.....In winter - PANIC!!!!”. That this non-event justifies changing the BBC1 schedule speaks volumes about the BBC.

The Beeb had sent their reporters out to the four corners and were going to get a day’s worth of coverage out of them come what may. If it hadn’t snowed anywhere then that would’ve been the story instead. It’s pathetic.

Agree.
  • peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    Why didn't they do a programme about all the millions that Heathrow are supposed to have spent on making sure there will be no hold ups during snowy weather ever again?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peaches41 wrote: »
    Why didn't they do a programme about all the millions that Heathrow are supposed to have spent on making sure there will be no hold ups during snowy weather ever again?

I suspect that by cancelling the flights (and same for trains) they no longer count as "hold ups" in the statistics.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    There’s one whole inch of snow outside your front door.....In winter - PANIC!!!!”. That this non-event justifies changing the BBC1 schedule speaks volumes about the BBC.
    Well, it does show that the beeb are in touch with their audience :D
    However you can't really blame them, given that the weather is traditionally the most popular topic of conversation between brits. And this little snowstorm has probably had a greater effect on more people than anything else that's happened in the UK this week.

Oh and BTW: it was 3 inches here.
  • peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    Here in my part of Cornwall, it's already melted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peaches41 wrote: »

It was certainly mentioned in the BBC coverage yesterday, as was the usual ineptitude of British Airways in their inability to tell customers what was happening (and it was featured again this morning on Breakfast).
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Florian wrote: »
    Really?

Is it necessary for BBC1 prime time on a Friday to have a news special about snow across Britain in January replacing the scheduled programme? Surely they can just show it on the BBC News Channel.

The BBC have been preaching for 13 years now that because of climate change we'd never see snow in the UK again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florian wrote: »
    Really?

Is it necessary for BBC1 prime time on a Friday to have a news special about snow across Britain in January replacing the scheduled programme? Surely they can just show it on the BBC News Channel.

People must be that sad then. Worrying about a tiny bit of snow and people go silly.
  • guy60guy60 Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having spent some time in the USA and living in Europe I am eternally grateful of the quality of TV output in the UK nevertheless I do find the hysteria that hits when a few snowflakes fall very amusing and rather OTT
  • UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    Well the Swedes can bog off, to be fair, we don't get it often, they're used to it.

I'm sure if the Swedes got a sudden heatwave they'd be complaining about the weather

The south has had at least some every year since 2007, and from what I've seen of London there was only a little there. I don't understand how people haven't learnt at least some way of dealing with minor snow over these past few years?

To be fair, the UK complains during heatwaves, too. As soon as it gets above 23°C you'd think we'd been transported to the inferno of hell by the way people react. :D
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this argument is about snow only, but the BBC and the UK media in general give considerable coverage to floods in northern places such as Carlisle. I don't notice any London or generally southern bias there.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    guy60 wrote: »
    Having spent some time in the USA and living in Europe I am eternally grateful of the quality of TV output in the UK nevertheless I do find the hysteria that hits when a few snowflakes fall very amusing and rather OTT

I agree with this. There was no widespread chaos, partly because we had a similar cold spell recently in 2010 so organizations remembered what to do... and partly because the entire event was forecast superbly by the Met Office, so advance preparations could be made.

The media went completely over the top and had to struggle to find stories yesterday (being reduced to footage of tigers knocking snowmen over - which was clearly a PR stunt).
    I don't know if this argument is about snow only, but the BBC and the UK media in general give considerable coverage to floods in northern places such as Carlisle. I don't notice any London or generally southern bias there.

There was no London bias in yesterday's news coverage of the snow event, 90% of the output I saw (including the TV 'special') was from the regions where most of the snow was. But they (TV and papers) did go over the top, implying widespread chaos when there was very little of that.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But imagine what it would be like if there was Thames flooding like they had in Carlisle!
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,548
    Forum Member
    CherylFan wrote: »
    Did you see Alex Jones at the end of the One Show? Kitted out like she was in the Arctic.

That was so OTT it was not even funny :mad: What is wrong with these people :rolleyes: