"Kill the Moon" Spoiler-Free Reviews

Comments

• claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    I've heard people criticise that doctor for being angry and joyless, yet also heard criticism for him for not being dark or adult enough!

I think he is sitting in a bit of a nothing-y middle right now tbh. He's not at all a well written character and there isn't really very much to him. They've wasted half a series basically establishing he's grumpy and doesn't like lots of things. Capaldi is a decent actor but the writing for his character doesn't match. Pity because the previous 3 Doctors were all great and well written. So far 12 is definitely the weakest and least engaging of the new series quartet. It'll be interesting to see therefore how this supposedly horrible thing he does comes across - it might give him some much needed interest or it just might make him someone you care even less about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    deleted.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I care alot about Twelve. Alot more than Sand Shoes and Fez. Am I alone? Am I wrong? Some people make it sound like Everyones hating Capaldi.

Of course the consistently brilliant reviews for his performances not least in this next episode tell a different story but what do they know?

We need more catchphrases! Cant we have another silly Doctor?
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I care alot about Twelve. Alot more than Sand Shoes and Fez. Am I alone? Am I wrong? Some people make it sound like Everyones hating Capaldi.

Of course the consistently brilliant reviews for his performances not least in this next episode tell a different story but what do they know?

Are you wrong? Possibly, it has been known. More catchphrases or "witty" one liners? Much of a muchness. Not much to distinguish between The Caretaker and The Lodger.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this has really gone round the block.
    Forum Member
    Hate to break it to some fans, but you can believe Matt Smith was and Peter Capaldi is a superb Doctor. Out of the box thinking, I know....
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mboon wrote: »
    Hate to break it to some fans, but you can think Matt Smith was and Peter Capaldi is a superb Doctor. Out of the box thinking, I know....

Sorry, no... that's just not sinking in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate to break it to some fans, but you can believe Matt Smith was and Peter Capaldi is a superb Doctor. Out of the box thinking, I know....

I agree. Both sadly let down, in my opinion, by generally very poor scripts.
    Forum Member
    I agree. Both sadly let down, in my opinion, by generally very poor scripts.
    I disagree.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm blessed. Guess what? And stick with this as its an odd concept...Im lucky! I have loved every Doctor. Some more than others. But all brilliant. And I love RTD and Moffat as well. Both incredible writers. Moffat just shades it but what a great debate to have when I remember the days of no Doctor Who!

I just think what we are getting now is about the best yet! And its amazing. To enjoy a new episode every Saturday. I feel sorry for those that don't get that enjoyment. Must be horrible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh don't get me wrong. I'm blessed. Guess what? And stick with this as its an odd concept...Im lucky! I have loved every Doctor. Some more than others. But all brilliant. And I love RTD and Moffat as well. Both incredible writers. Moffat just shades it but what a great debate to have when I remember the days of no Doctor Who!

I just think what we are getting now is about the best yet! And its amazing. To enjoy a new episode every Saturday. I feel sorry for those that don't get that enjoyment. Must be horrible.

Nah, not horrible, just disappointing. But we accept that we had four generally very good series (with the odd turkey) between 2005-8 so we're happy for that. Sad that since then the good stories have been few and far between but we're still Doctor Who fans and we always live in hope that better is to come.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I genuinely can't think of any American characters that have been in Who...

There were a few Americans in the episode from Chris Eccleston's series 'Dalek'.

Edit:.....
    Aurtan wrote: »
    Van Statten, maybe?

Perhaps a bit too old.

That's who I was thinking of.
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, not horrible, just disappointing. But we accept that we had four generally very good series (with the odd turkey) between 2005-8 so we're happy for that. Sad that since then the good stories have been few and far between but we're still Doctor Who fans and we always live in hope that better is to come.

What are you wanting it to be then? Personally I think this series is shaping up to be the best one since the revival. There's something about it that I just love. It's making me Doctor Who obsessed again, which I have to be honest I just haven't been in recent years. I was excited for the 50th but in my opinion you'd have to be dead inside not to be excited about that.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I think he is sitting in a bit of a nothing-y middle right now tbh. He's not at all a well written character and there isn't really very much to him. They've wasted half a series basically establishing he's grumpy and doesn't like lots of things.
    Oh, they've established a hell of a lot more than that. I would suggest re-watching a few of them.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like both Smith and Capaldi, but I can't be the only one who thinks Capaldi and Smith have more similarities (in terms of character) than Smith and Tennant?
    Forum Member
    Absolutely love the notion that the series between 2005 and 2008 only had the odd turkey. Starting off with a nice big belly laugh always sets me up for the day! :D
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely love the notion that the series between 2005 and 2008 only had the odd turkey. Starting off with a nice big belly laugh always sets me up for the day! :D

Now, now, let's not get too mean to series 1-4. They tried their best.
    Forum Member
    Now, now, let's not get too mean to series 1-4. They tried their best.

Indeed. It's all subjective of course (a concept beyond our 'friend' it seems) but Bernard Matthews would have been slobbering over those series as much as any other. :)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I love Capaldi. I loved Matt. And I really loved Tennant. It is possible.

It seems to me that some people think the Doctor should be likeable. It's nice when he is. And it's nicer when he isn't. ;-) He's not your average superhero. He's far more complicated than that. And the people who think he's just boring and grumpy have no eye for subtlety whatsoever, imo. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude to anyone, but you just haven't.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I think he is sitting in a bit of a nothing-y middle right now tbh. He's not at all a well written character and there isn't really very much to him. They've wasted half a series basically establishing he's grumpy and doesn't like lots of things. Capaldi is a decent actor but the writing for his character doesn't match. Pity because the previous 3 Doctors were all great and well written. So far 12 is definitely the weakest and least engaging of the new series quartet. It'll be interesting to see therefore how this supposedly horrible thing he does comes across - it might give him some much needed interest or it just might make him someone you care even less about.

I couldn't disagree with you more. It's very hard to maintain this line that Twelve is a thinly written superifical character.

But suppose he was: were either ten or eleven massively developed characters just six episodes into their tenures? After all, Tennant's weakest season as the doctor was his first - he massively improved after that. Twelve is still a work in progress, which is exactly as it should be.

As for him being the least interesting and engaging, I would say quite the opposite - it's because he acts so differently to the last few incarnations and has seemingly forgotten his ease of contact around humans that makes him so interesting.

I guess you and I want different things from our doctors!
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I like both Smith and Capaldi, but I can't be the only one who thinks Capaldi and Smith have more similarities (in terms of character) than Smith and Tennant?

It wouldn't be difficult to argue that, but I wouldn't be the one to do it.
    For example, I think Nine and Twelve are far more similar than Ten or Eleven are to either of them.
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    Those being fair minded? Probably. Some people seem intent on disliking him and repeating the spurious reasons why ad nauseum.[/quote

Indeed! I've heard criticisms that the show is all about Clara and not about the Doctor, yet in series 7, the criticism was that Clara was a superficial character who hadn't been fleshed out.

I've heard people criticise that doctor for being angry and joyless, yet also heard criticism for him for not being dark or adult enough!

It just goes to show that you can't please everybody, and that some people will never be pleased whatever you do.

Also it's worth remembering that David Tennant and Matt Smith's doctors make up the majority of the new era of Doctor Who and many viewers simply can't see past those specific incarnations. They think that the Doctor should be very human, very zany and very manic, and if he's not, he's boring! They totally overlook the previous 40 odd years. They forget that Capaldi's grumpiness, aloofness, alienness and manipulations are all established parts of the Doctor's character and have been seen before in older incarnations such as Hartnell, Pertwee, Tom Baker and McCoy.

Isn't the Doctor's humanity meant to increase the more he spends time with companions and the human race, why does he go backwards after the past two re-incarnations and seeing him move on from Ecclestone's anger post the Time war. He spent the last hundred of years as well being sentimental and protecting the people of Christmas. Its more than just being grumpy or obstinate, but its like all the evolution of his has as a Doctor has gone.

And whilst initially funny in the first episode his comments about how Clara dresses or plastering paint on her face or showering etc are backwards and stupid now.

Saying all that, he is a brilliant actor and I liked the last 3 episodes but the writing of his character is not good.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was a thread for spoiler-free reviews, not yet another 'Capaldi v Smith' thread....
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    I thought this was a thread for spoiler-free reviews, not yet another 'Capaldi v Smith' thread....
    Skimming the posts it seems like a big Tennant vs smith vs Capaldi and Moffat Vs RTD all rolled into one, when as you have rightly said, it is supposed to be a simple spoiler free review thread, the kind of thread where everyone can just enjoy the material and not argue, alas it has gone awry.

Could someone kindly get this thread back on track please, I came to see if there were any more spoiler free reviews, not witness more bickering.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I grew to like the 11th Doctor, over time, but I never loved him and he was never able to stop me missing the 10th Doctor.

But I am really enjoying Capaldi and - after four long years - I can watch Doctor Who again without missing David Tennant.

I still miss Donna though. Oh, imagine it - the 12th Doctor and Donna. I'd pay to see that!