Options

Movies that were announced but never happened...

Comments

• Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When New Line bought the rights to The Mask it was supposed to be a horror film as the comics are not really for kids and are more horror comics.

The plan was for it to be the next horror series and The Mask was going to be the next horror icon as New Line had just ended The Nightmare on Elm St and Friday The 13th films each film would have someone new possessed by The Mask.

Then they just decided to turn it into a kids/family comedy.

I know, although I did like the original one. The sequel was too kiddie.

Would like it if they rebooted The Mask franchise, although I haven't read the comics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the 1990s Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzo had discussed the idea for a The Godfather Part IV, which would have seen the downfall of the Corleone crime family. However after Puzo died in 1999 the project was dropped. A portion of this sequel which included Sonny's life in the 1930s was used for a 2012 novel titled The Family Corleone.

I also believe there was to be a continuation of the Death Wish franchise without Charles Bronson, with a sixth film titled Death Wish 6: The New Vigilante planned. But the studio went bust so it was never made. Sylvester Stallone had spoke of making a reboot back in 2007, but nothing else happened with that.

A fifth installment in Warner Brother's Batman series titled Batman Triumphant was planned, which would have had Scarecrow and Harley Quinn as villains and Jack Nicholson returning as a hallucination of The Joker. But because of the failure of Batman & Robin it was never made. There was talks of it being adapted into comic form along with Joel Schumacher's original plans for Batman Forever, but I don't think it will be happening.

The Amazing Spider-Man was also going to spawn a cinematic universe with loads of spin-off films, but now Sony are working with Marvel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    It's a bit like film studios announcing sequels then quietly dropping them. Fantastic 4 &Terminator Genisys spring to mind as two recent ones.
    But considering both those films lost their studios a hell of a lot of money. it's understandable why they have been dropped.

I wish they wouldn't announce their plans for sequels before the release of the first film.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they wouldn't announce their plans for sequels before the release of the first film.

It just makes them look foolish and Hubristic, the Mortal Instruments anyone?
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    But carry on's can work now. The Austin power films have a very similar sense of humour. They worked, why couldn't a carry on???

Because the AP films have things like sight gags as well (Mini-Me)-they aren't just dependent on sexual smut and puns.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but I remember reading (early '90s?) about a planned "Highlander"-style fantasy movie about the Irish legend of Cú Chulainn. It was going to star Adam Ant as the mythic hero.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A live action Batman Beyond film:
    Among the live-action films proposed between the critical failure of Batman & Robin and the reboot of the Batman franchise was a live-action Batman Beyond feature, to be written by Paul Dini. In August 2000, Warner Bros. announced that it was developing a live action film adaptation of the TV series Batman Beyond with Boaz Yakin attached to co-write and direct. The TV series' creators, Dini and Alan Burnett, were hired to write a screenplay for the feature film, with author Neal Stephenson consulting the duo. By July 2001, a first draft was turned in to the studio, and the writers were waiting to see if a rewrite would be needed. The studio, also exploring other takes of Batman in development, eventually placed Batman Beyond on hold in August 2001.
  • Options
    Rich_AllenRich_Allen Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Mask 2 yeah, the magazine wasn't the only one to run this comp. Cartoon network in 96 were running the same "walk on part" for the mask 2.

Other films

Beverley hills cop 4
    Ghostbusters 3 with all original cast, since 1990 I was waiting for that one.
    Goonies 2
    Big trouble in little china 2 (heard they are finally going to do it with the rock as main role.

Ghost Busters 3 is happening apparently, with an all female group of Ghost Busters.

Meh, it won't be as good without the original cast including the late Harold Ramis IMO.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Quentin Tarantino and Luke Besson were both in the running to direct a spy thriller
    about Modesty Blaise, the comics heroine. Neil Gaiman was supposed to do the script, but it hit problems and never got into produciton.

https://bitchmedia.org/post/modesty-blaise-princess-of-spy-fi

William Goldman and Bryan Goluboff were working on a film about
    Captain Marvel / Shazam in the early 2000s that wasn't made.
  • Options
    SkyfallSkyfall Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Shocker is an odd film. I do love people under the stairs though. Its just great fun

The People Under the Stairs indeed great fun film. The plot for The People Under the Stairs 2 years back would've had A.J. Langer back as Alice all grown up, on a TV show telling her life story what it was like growing up in that house with the crazy maniac couple Mummy and Daddy.

Shocker seen allot of times with Horace Pinker being a nasty serial killer wondered if they were setting it for sequels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My Bloody Valentine sequel
    My Bloody Valentine remake sequel
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Sure I once read that a sequel to the 2003 remake of The Italian Job was in the works and would be called The Brazilian Job.

Also Grease 3 was planned with John Travolta and Olivia Newton John returning as parents whose children are now at Rydell High.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I do remember when "The Hard Way" was released, there were discussions about its sequel in the works. It never happened. I don't think it will happen now - as too much time has passed, and Michael J. Fox's condition.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My namesake; Dan Dare - Pilot of the Future. Lots of 'confirmed' reports with Sam Worthington but unfotunately the rockets sat in the launchpads.
    Kind of glad in a way as Worthington isn't my idea of good casting for DD.
    Michael Fassbender would make an ideal older Dare but if they want a younger one just as he was in the early days of the strip then Jeremy Irvine (War Horse, Woman in Black 2) - http://data.whicdn.com/images/156770150/superthumb.png
    or Nicholas Hoult, who weirdly already has those strange zig-zag Dare-like eyebrows!
    http://media2.popsugar-assets.com/files/2014/10/16/796/n/1922398/44087194d50441b9_thumb_temp_image152709051413481054/i/Nicholas-Hoult-Young-Ones-Interview-Video.jpg
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howabout as an offshoot of this thread

Mad Max: Fury Road with Mel Gibson, originally, due to shoot around 2004 I think

I Am Legend staring Arnold Swarchznegger and directed by Ridely Scott, I think cameras did begin rolling and then Warners pulled the plug I think over budgetary concerns( chapter in The Greatest Sci fi movies never made, which at the time, of the books release, it had not emerged as film)

then there was

Broadway Brawler staring Bruce Willis( I think this begun shooting too, but, was then cancelled and stopped)
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Sure I once read that a sequel to the 2003 remake of The Italian Job was in the works and would be called The Brazilian Job.

Also Grease 3 was planned with John Travolta and Olivia Newton John returning as parents whose children are now at Rydell High.

my god, yes, I remember reading about both of these

Commando 2, was informally announced at least by screenwriter Steven De Souza in an interview, he gave
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought they would do a sequel to He's Just Not That Into You?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want a proper Gremlins 3, a proper sequel to Gremlins 2, the ending of which was kind of open ended IMO, and apparently it might happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Supergirl 1984 sequels.
    A TV series to Carrie (2002) Remake (TV Movie)
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    I once read that a sequel to Pretty Woman was in the works with the Richard Gere character becoming a politician. Im surprised there was never a sequel to Pretty Woman. Perhaps they couldn't get Richard Gere and Julia Roberts on board.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it will probably never happen, but I want a sequel to the Dark Crystal, 1982 Jim Henson movie, I went to see it when it first came out and have it on Blu Ray now, originally I was scared of the Skeksis though :D
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Untouchables: Capone Rising
    Beavis and Butthead Do Europe
    The Rescuers 3
    Masters of the Universe 2
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Rich_Allen wrote: »
    I want a proper Gremlins 3, a proper sequel to Gremlins 2, the ending of which was kind of open ended IMO, and apparently it might happen.

>:( I bloody don't. They'll use computer animation, not puppets, so no thanks.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyfall wrote: »
    The People Under the Stairs indeed great fun film. The plot for The People Under the Stairs 2 years back would've had A.J. Langer back as Alice all grown up, on a TV show telling her life story what it was like growing up in that house with the crazy maniac couple Mummy and Daddy.

Shocker seen allot of times with Horace Pinker being a nasty serial killer wondered if they were setting it for sequels.

There's a great mistake in TPUTS. Mummy stabs the door with a knife, and the knife (and hole in the door) jumps a good ten cms. Its incredibly obvious
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I don't think it would work anyway- the "Carry On" series was based on puns and
    old-style (pre-sexual revolution) racy innuendo. That formula is unlikely to engage a 2010s audience-indeed a film based on a similar formula to the "Carry Ons", "Run For Your Wife", was the proverbial critical and commerical disaster.

Carry On London was shelved due to the death of Carry On producer Peter Rogers. It was thought to be going ahead up until then. But as Carry On Columbus was such a flop, I'm not sure if a new Carry On film would have been a good move. Sadly we'll now never know :)
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »

Ah sorry have only just noticed this link. Sounds interesting, let's hope it goes ahead as planned.